DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

56 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I wonder how far Taniguchi can take this coach gimmick. It’s the most entertaining comedy act going. Adding Yano as the shitty closer who should be benched has been brilliant.

Yano as Ken Giles punching himself in the face would be great.

• Like 1

It’ll be interesting to see what Juice does. It kinda looks like the US title will tour its namesake country for a while—which makes sense! But I wonder if Ospreay’s sudden ascent puts a ceiling on his role. (He’s also beneath ZSJ and White on the gaijin pecking order, but they’re heels.) I guess we’ll see what ROH talent gets the middle of the road G1 booking—Cobb?—and whether Elgin keeps being a thing. Still, I’m optimistic. 

And Chase Owens re-signed! My favorite undercard loser. But now that he’s partnering with GOD and not Ibushi/Kenny, I’ll be skipping him more.

And speaking of Ibushi: He might come out of all of this having been a redemptive device for Kenny, a thing to be fought over but never listened to, and then left high and dry, without gold or love post-WK. I just can’t see him signing an exclusive deal with an upstart American promotion given his famous commitment aversion.

• Sad 1

Taguchi can keep doing the rugby thing up through November when Japan hosts the Rugby World Cup. Then he can go nuts and switch between a plethora of sports in the run up to Tokyo 2020. As long as there are aimless mid-carders he will have someone to "coach."

Also, it's over a year from now but what happens to the G-1 in 2020?

11 minutes ago, lostinube said:

Taguchi can keep doing the rugby thing up through November when Japan hosts the Rugby World Cup. Then he can go nuts and switch between a plethora of sports in the run up to Tokyo 2020. As long as there are aimless mid-carders he will have someone to "coach."

Also, it's over a year from now but what happens to the G-1 in 2020?

Western expansion: G1 across Europe and America!

;)

He also said the Tokyo Sports article "means absolutely nothing... Tokyo Sports has in the past and will continue to be a publication that pushes storylines. Now I'm not saying that this is definitely a storyline. I'm not saying it's kayfabe or note. What I'm saying is it doesn't mean anything... If we learned anything from Kenny Omega 2 years ago that when he took time off from New Japan after Wrestle Kingdom and then worked everybody into thinking that there's a possibility that he could leave New Japan when in fact we reported here that his contract wasn't even up at the time, that it was all bullshit, and that he kept his name in the news. So you think about that from 2017, do you think Kenny Omega is going to make a move without making himself the biggest story in wrestling before he does so? This is not the last nugget he's going to drop to the media before he makes his decision. I've heard all the wild rumours... $3.5 million offers from WWE and that's not been anything I could confirm. But I believe Kenny Omega's status is still up in the air and if you put a gun to my head I'd bet that he'd be back in NJPW in some form this year. Do I think it's impossible he signs with the WWE? No..." He goes on to talk about possibly working as a freelancer or working NJPW via AEW later in the year, which is likelier. 

Joe Lanza blows a lot of hot air but I believe he's pretty credible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One more, sorry! 

Okaaay, whutdahale is thiiiiis?! He goes on to say much later in the episode after breaking down the politics between NJPW/AEW/ROH by saying that Okada is fiercely loyal to the Bucks and that he could be a low key power broker in saying that he wants to work AEW shows in the future. This goes back to their time in TNA and how well they treated him then. Obviously the high key power broker is Omega but that's really interesting. VOW probably has Kevin Kelly as a source at least. 

Lastly, he says there probably won't be any WWE talent signing with NJPW but AEW is the real threat. "My source shutdown the idea of guys like Gallows, Anderson, and Nakamura jumping back... He doesn't see it. Doesn't mean it's impossible (COVERING BASES 101 BAYBAY), but the real threat is AEW."

• Thanks 2

Man I do NOT want SANADA leaving NJPW. Dave was talking about what does NJPW do for fresh matchups with Omega, Cody, Page, and the Bucks all gone. They were trying to think of names and I'm sitting there thinking, damn, how do you not think of elevating SANADA? Yeah, the skull end looks weak as hell, but that's about the one thing I think is weak with him.

On 1/1/2019 at 12:52 PM, Lawful Metal said:

First match I looked up was Kawada v. Kensuke. 

What else?

Anything Hiroshi Tanahashi has ever done. C ya in a few months.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Man I do NOT want SANADA leaving NJPW. Dave was talking about what does NJPW do for fresh matchups with Omega, Cody, Page, and the Bucks all gone. They were trying to think of names and I'm sitting there thinking, damn, how do you not think of elevating SANADA? Yeah, the skull end looks weak as hell, but that's about the one thing I think is weak with him.

I heard this and I didn't really understand the point. I mean Omega has fought everyone multiple times now, what exactly would be fresh match up? Omega/Naito IV? Doing 3 more matches with Tanahashi? I'd take old match-up over Cody/X. Page would be fresher, but he isn't very good yet and probably needs something like 2 years of work to get where he needs to be. As for Bucks, they already fought LiJ and GoD multiple times last year. Bucks vs KES would be fresh, but I don't see the appeal.

Instead we are getting Ospreay and Taichi pushes (at least for now) who can actually do completely fresh matches and are better than Cody or Page. This also likely will result in more focus for Henare, Finlay and Berreta who also are, in my opinion, better than Page and Cody and they will be able to do new matches as well. Not to even mention Cobb who should get more singles in NJPW this year. Heck, at any point they can say "Shingo is heavyweight now" and nobody will blink and it will result in 10+ great matches.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Archibald said:

I heard this and I didn't really understand the point. I mean Omega has fought everyone multiple times now, what exactly would be fresh match up? Omega/Naito IV? Doing 3 more matches with Tanahashi? I'd take old match-up over Cody/X. Page would be fresher, but he isn't very good yet and probably needs something like 2 years of work to get where he needs to be. As for Bucks, they already fought LiJ and GoD multiple times last year. Bucks vs KES would be fresh, but I don't see the appeal.

Instead we are getting Ospreay and Taichi pushes (at least for now) who can actually do completely fresh matches and are better than Cody or Page. This also likely will result in more focus for Henare, Finlay and Berreta who also are, in my opinion, better than Page and Cody and they will be able to do new matches as well. Not to even mention Cobb who should get more singles in NJPW this year. Heck, at any point they can say "Shingo is heavyweight now" and nobody will blink and it will result in 10+ great matches.

Dude, all of this. This was just one of those times where I was like what the hell is Dave going on about. We should be getting fresh matches now since an entire faction is now gone. It's not hard to figure out. 

15 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Joe Lanza on the VOW podcast hidden behind a paywall said WWE is very interested in SANADA. :(

Was thinking a bit about it and remember how when Shingo joined they made a strong point about how he isn't replacing Hiromu. So maybe he is replacing Sanada? I like Sanada a lot, but I gotta admit, Evil/Shingo tag team sounds hot.