DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

18 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I wonder how far Taguchi can take this coach gimmick. It’s the most entertaining comedy act going. Adding Yano as the shitty closer who should be benched has been brilliant.

Did this just start at the Dome show? I just started watching it and that was one of the best parts in the Gauntlet match. I say keep it going!

For those who didn’t watch the AEW press conference (fan event?) and don’t want to navigate the thread, the relevant puro details: a partnership with OWE and STRONGHEARTS (called Good Hearts, I assume erroneously), which of course includes CIMA and current Wrestle-1 champion T-Hawk; signed PAC, who showed up in his gear and with Dream Gate championship; signed Jericho, who New Japan would supposedly still like to do business with.

They teased a joshi partnership and/or signings, but didn’t name names. 

So, if New Japan doesn’t come around, they know other companies exist.

So, I listened to Kenny's post-WK interview with Jebailey. Nothing terribly newsworthy, except maybe that he's got an appearance already scheduled in Japan two weeks after his contract expires.

-CEO had to have been in any contract he signed the past two years, and will be going forward. Breaking: Kenny loves fighting games.

-They can't say what plans will be this year for CEO, of course, but the implication is that there will be something.

-Kind of hilariously, when Jebailey offhandedly suggests Tanahashi might be the John Cena of Japan, Kenny demurs, and suggests he's not at that level (anymore, at least). He tries to bring it around and say Tana's just his own thing, but can't bring himself to say anything nice. 

-Kenny emphasizes that things are going to change in his career and life, but all for the better; of course he wants to do more video game things. He'll be at EVO Japan, for example, which is Feb 15-17 in Fukuoka. No, New Japan isn't there during those days.

-Kenny paid for his Undertale video shoot/production himself, but doesn't mind. He just wants permission to do things, even if he has to do them without company help.

-He reiterates that he's stepping away from wrestling for a little bit, needs to clear his mind and do some promotional work for Razer, then head back to Japan for EVO. He's not sure where he'll turn up after that. Not going to be about accolades, money, or being the company guy. He really does want to change the world.

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2019 at 2:51 PM, Lawful Metal said:

Just signed up for NJPW world. What do I absolutely need to see right now?!

Are you looking exclusively for newer footage?

If so, @Oyaji's recommendations should be good.

If not then look up Hashimoto vs. Zangiev from the '89 Tokyo Dome, the Vader vs. Hansen matches from '90, the Chono vs. Muta '91 G-1 Final, Muta vs. Hase and Tenryu vs. Koshinaka from December '92, Tenryu vs. Hase from September '92 and Hashimoto vs. Tenryu from April '94.

And if you want some other recent classics (but, but, but, but you hate Tanahashi and modern New Japan ?) -- Tanahashi vs. Nagata from April '07, Tanahashi vs. Suzuki from October '12, Ishii vs. Shibata and Nakamura vs. Ibushi from 13' G-1 Climax, Styles vs. Suzuki, Nakamura vs. Ishii and Shibata vs. Honma from '14 G-1 Climax and Ishii vs. Honma from November '15.

13 hours ago, Beech27 said:

So, I listened to Kenny's post-WK interview with Jebailey. Nothing terribly newsworthy, except maybe that he's got an appearance already scheduled in Japan two weeks after his contract expires.

-CEO had to have been in any contract he signed the past two years, and will be going forward. Breaking: Kenny loves fighting games.

-They can't say what plans will be this year for CEO, of course, but the implication is that there will be something.

-Kind of hilariously, when Jebailey offhandedly suggests Tanahashi might be the John Cena of Japan, Kenny demurs, and suggests he's not at that level (anymore, at least). He tries to bring it around and say Tana's just his own thing, but can't bring himself to say anything nice. 

-Kenny emphasizes that things are going to change in his career and life, but all for the better; of course he wants to do more video game things. He'll be at EVO Japan, for example, which is Feb 15-17 in Fukuoka. No, New Japan isn't there during those days.

-Kenny paid for his Undertale video shoot/production himself, but doesn't mind. He just wants permission to do things, even if he has to do them without company help.

-He reiterates that he's stepping away from wrestling for a little bit, needs to clear his mind and do some promotional work for Razer, then head back to Japan for EVO. He's not sure where he'll turn up after that. Not going to be about accolades, money, or being the company guy. He really does want to change the world.

NJPW doesn't have anything scheduled from Feb 13th to the 21st so him being at EVO shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, I just meant that, if there were a nearby show on a nearby date, I'd start to wonder.

On the subject of New Japan recs, I just came across this list, which I've found useful/interesting precisely because it's a very pro-Inoki(ism) list, and is thus unique among perspectives you're likely to come across these days. I think it gets a little ~hot take~ and the bias is pronounced, but it does a good job of highlighting pre-2012 stuff that a lot of fans otherwise forget about.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Edwin said:

Are you looking exclusively for newer footage?

If so, @Oyaji's recommendations should be good.

If not then look up Hashimoto vs. Zangiev from the '89 Tokyo Dome, the Vader vs. Hansen matches from '90, the Chono vs. Muta '91 G-1 Final, Muta vs. Hase and Tenryu vs. Koshinaka from December '92, Tenryu vs. Hase from September '92 and Hashimoto vs. Tenryu from April '94.

And if you want some other recent classics (but, but, but, but you hate Tanahashi and modern New Japan ?) -- Tanahashi vs. Nagata from April '07, Tanahashi vs. Suzuki from October '12, Ishii vs. Shibata and Nakamura vs. Ibushi from 13' G-1 Climax, Styles vs. Suzuki, Nakamura vs. Ishii and Shibata vs. Honma from '14 G-1 Climax and Ishii vs. Honma from November '15.

Yeah, this is what I was looking for.  Old stuff I don't know about.  I've been trying to watch most of the big matches on dailymotion or so since AJ was in New Japan, so I'm more or less mostly up to date with the big stuff.  Old stuff I'm super into since I really hadn't watched much from Japan since the hey day of Misawa and Kawada in All Japan. 

If NJPW is potentially losing all these guys and the fans are burned out on Okada vs Tanahashi then wouldn't it be the perfect time to run an inter promotional against AJPW and finally see what Miyahara can do against guys like, for instance, the aforementioned Okada and Tanahashi? Miyahara vs Naito. Miyahara vs Ospreay. Miyahara vs Ishii. Suwama vs Ishii. Suwama vs Evil. Suwama vs Makabe. Akiyama vs Tanahashi. Ishikawa vs everybody. Aoyagi and Nomura vs SHO and YOH. Doering vs Fale. Etc. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, D.Z said:

Needs more 90s and more fighters vs wrestlers.

Fujita's 2004 and 2005 run was quite great iirc.

Edit: Yeah, I really need to sign up to NJPW World again and start going through the G-1 tournaments. So many classics produced by the G-1 through the years...

23 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Yeah, I just meant that, if there were a nearby show on a nearby date, I'd start to wonder.

On the subject of New Japan recs, I just came across this list, which I've found useful/interesting precisely because it's a very pro-Inoki(ism) list, and is thus unique among perspectives you're likely to come across these days. I think it gets a little ~hot take~ and the bias is pronounced, but it does a good job of highlighting pre-2012 stuff that a lot of fans otherwise forget about.

Some of those write ups fucking suck: 44, 34 and 25. The last two in spoiler tags for size issues:

• Like 1

A while back I was obsessed with getting my hands on available, and almost complete G1’s. Before the Okada era I came away with the opinion that the 03, and 04 G1’s were the absolute best G1 Climax’s, with 04 edging it out thanks to Tenryu’s performance throughout it. 2005 G1 on the other hand was an excruciating watch for me a few years ago. Fujita I’ll admit was probably the only highlight of that tournament, as he was the only one bringing it every night. But the final itself was a dud, and the result an insult to the brain. I have no idea how that dude ranking that match would ever rank it so high.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Is there any actual legal way to watch NOAH these days?

They don't have a streaming service, and don't--to my knowledge--have any plans to change that. I think this is largely due to not owning a lot of their back-catalogue, because of the whole crime scandal thing and related legal consequences (that I don't pretend to entirely grasp). You can catch some clips/shows by subscribing to a Japanese expat TV service and watching, I think, Samurai and/or G+, but I don't think they have a regular block either place.

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Some of those write ups fucking suck: 44, 34 and 25. The last two in spoiler tags for size issues:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, I suspect it goes without saying that I think Kenny has had great matches, and that no one needs to carry Okada. (Though I wouldn't argue with anyone who ranks the Shibata match as his best. Depending on the day, I do, as much as I love the Kenny/Tana epics and understand why some might cringe at Shibata's self-immolation. Pro wrestling is beautiful and hideous and violent and euphoric and cathartic and tragic and fulfilling and empty; I can't think of another match that gets it all so comprehensively.) But I think the utility of a list that leans pre-Bushiroad outweighs the bullshit, and I really like most everything there--if not the stated reasons.

Aside: I can't help but think the Nagata/Sasaki bloodbath influenced the infamous Danielson/McGuinness match--specifically the ringpost headbutting. We know Danielson holds Nagata in the absolute highest regard, at least.

Marafuji's back. Well, almost.

10 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

If NJPW is potentially losing all these guys and the fans are burned out on Okada vs Tanahashi then wouldn't it be the perfect time to run an inter promotional against AJPW and finally see what Miyahara can do against guys like, for instance, the aforementioned Okada and Tanahashi? Miyahara vs Naito. Miyahara vs Ospreay. Miyahara vs Ishii. Suwama vs Ishii. Suwama vs Evil. Suwama vs Makabe. Akiyama vs Tanahashi. Ishikawa vs everybody. Aoyagi and Nomura vs SHO and YOH. Doering vs Fale. Etc. 

I think the only way it happens is it business drops notably. Invasions and interpromotional wars is always their fallback when business is bad.

I'd love to see Miyahara get a Dome match. I think 1/3 with KAI is the second best match I've seen so far this short year.