DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

Chaotic Wrestling announced that Tommaso Cimapa has been pulled from his appearance on the 3/15 show.

The WWE is sending Hanson instead

Has there ever been a man vs woman wrestling match where the guy was the babyface and wrestled a totally "overly concerned & apologetic boyfriend" style match? You know, lock up, he backs her into the ropes, clean break, she looks pissed off. Lock up again, she grabs an armwringer into a wristlock, he reverses into a wristlock of his own, she sells, he releases the hold immediately and starts apologising and trying to make sure she's OK. She spends the match doing 'fight me you bastard' style but he only goes for roll ups and cradles, nothing more impactful than a headlock takeover.

Because I think that might be a match that would work. The days of the Babyface beating up the heel's valet to get pops are behind us, but I think the days of the heel beating up babyface ladies to get heat probably are as well.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Has there ever been a man vs woman wrestling match where the guy was the babyface and wrestled a totally "overly concerned & apologetic boyfriend" style match? You know, lock up, he backs her into the ropes, clean break, she looks pissed off. Lock up again, she grabs an armwringer into a wristlock, he reverses into a wristlock of his own, she sells, he releases the hold immediately and starts apologising and trying to make sure she's OK. She spends the match doing 'fight me you bastard' style but he only goes for roll ups and cradles, nothing more impactful than a headlock takeover.

Because I think that might be a match that would work. The days of the Babyface beating up the heel's valet to get pops are behind us, but I think the days of the heel beating up babyface ladies to get heat probably are as well.

I know you're probably thinking indies, but wasn't the Jericho/Christian vs Trish/Lita tag sort of worked like that by Jericho which pissed off Christian and set up the whole Mania thing? 

Oh man just noticed that match is THE GODFATHER PRESENTS. So a (retired?) fake pimp is promoting a fight between a former junkie armed robber death match worker and a female wrestler who looks like she can shoot kick the living shit out of him.

• Haha 2

On 3/4/2019 at 2:48 PM, Edwin said:

Depending on what the card looks like, I'll consider the 2 and half hour drive Jacksonville for that.

If you're near Orlando- CEO should be an option.  It's not announced, but will almost certainly happen.

Guest Edwin
8 minutes ago, alstein said:

If you're near Orlando- CEO should be an option.  It's not announced, but will almost certainly happen.

Went last year and I thought it was pretty average, but it was cool getting to see Liger live.

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh man just noticed that match is THE GODFATHER PRESENTS. So a (retired?) fake pimp is promoting a fight between a former junkie armed robber death match worker and a female wrestler who looks like she can shoot kick the living shit out of him.

If Jordynne spears Nick, she will probably break him in half.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AxB said:

Candice LeRae vs Trent? at PWG's Mystery Vortex IV was pretty close to this, but IIRC, Trent? started heeling it up halfway through the match.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just gonna leave this here

First take: Jesus, they're really trying to make this intergender match with Jordynne Grace happen. Ugh.

Second take: Oh fuck, this show is here in town. Christ...

Third take: You gotta be fucking kidding me. It's on 4/20? SMH.

I'm definitely going to pass on going to this show. I'm shocked the Century Center is even hosting this. 19 years ago ECW put on a show there and the word was that would be the last time they do anything like that because, among other things, Bubba Ray nearly started a riot. I know, you're probably shocked at that. 20 year old me thought that was awesome at the time. 38 year old me doesn't have any sort of taste for this type of show now.

I'm also completely unfamiliar with Black Label Pro. I've heard the name, but I know nothing about the type of show they usually put on.

I think last year we were supposed to get a wrestling show here that was going to have ACH vs Tom Lawlor and I don't believe that match happened. I really wanted to see that. This stuff with Grace and Gage? As much as I like Grace, yeah, no thanks.

Edited by Craig H

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

First take: Jesus, they're really trying to make this intergender match with Jordynne Grace happen. Ugh.

Second take: Oh fuck, this show is here in town. Christ...

Third take: You gotta be fucking kidding me. It's on 4/20? SMH.

You live in Indiana, what do you expect? 

Surely the crowd of midnight chokers will be reprehensible but I think the match will be fine, as long as Jordynne doesn't get juice or something. That would be in pretty poor taste. She should just wreck the fuck out of Gage and walk. 

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You live in Indiana, what do you expect? 

Surely the crowd of midnight chokers will be reprehensible but I think the match will be fine, as long as Jordynne doesn't get juice or something. That would be in pretty poor taste. She should just wreck the fuck out of Gage and walk. 

South Bend, along with select college towns, aren't like most of the state ?

I also don't think either of the bolded things will happen.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

South Bend, along with select college towns, aren't like most of the state ?

Illinois is almost the same; I live right outside Champaign but spent 12 years downstate so I understand. Still, all my experiences in Indiana -- including in Indianapolis, even...

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Illinois is almost the same; I live right outside Champaign but spent 12 years downstate so I understand. Still, all my experiences in Indiana -- including in Indianapolis, even...

Indiana scared me more than Mississippi and Alabama ever could traveling through them.