DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

10 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

There is a direct comparison to mma or boxing when it comes to promotion. Pitting the number one contender against the champion is a good way to make money. But if there's more money in promoting an untrained ex-wrestler and sending him out there to get his face pounded in, that's good too. The best matchup is the matchup that will make the most money.

As I'm in my "get off my lawn" phase of wrestling fandom, the WWE suffers by being a combat sport where the participants fight each other constantly leading up to the major ppv. That's not even taking into consideration that it is common knowledge that the wrestlers are fighting each other all week on the house show circuit. You don't promote by giving away what you're trying to promote and doing everything in your power to make sure it doesn't seem special. 

I think that is where you have to make the characters special. Wrestling is in a transition stage as far as WWE goes. Indies have it easier in promoting now. They have monthly shows and only have to build to that. My local indy draws pretty well and has a local crew and a few guest stars. But they run twice a month. 

WWE is basically WCW now. House shows and PPV are not their primary concern. They need to fill hours of content and they seem content to kick the can down the road. In some ways WWE has adapted better to the digital age than other big media companies. But they seem to have lost the ability to create compelling story driven TV. 

3 hours ago, Casey said:

NXT started to tour outside of Florida in March of 2015, and that's the same year they moved the Takeover events from Full Sail for the first time. Nakamura didn't even enter the picture until a year later.

They had draws before Nakamura showed up. NXT itself was a draw, everyone wanted to see the talent on that show. They had Balor, Samoa Joe, Sami Zayn... everyone wanted to see their women's division live, and the tag team roster at that time was pretty hot too.

I feel like it was reported at some point they specifically left Bálor on NXT just to use him to establish the touring brand.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Casey said:

NXT started to tour outside of Florida in March of 2015, and that's the same year they moved the Takeover events from Full Sail for the first time. Nakamura didn't even enter the picture until a year later.

They had draws before Nakamura showed up. NXT itself was a draw, everyone wanted to see the talent on that show. They had Balor, Samoa Joe, Sami Zayn... everyone wanted to see their women's division live, and the tag team roster at that time was pretty hot too.

IIRC the first few months were a bit of a slow rollout of a touring schedule. Either way, that doesn't negate my point. It's not like they decided they didn't need someone to move tickets since they were already touring.

I have been watching some WCW Saturday Nights on youtube. One episode had Harlem Heat winning the tag team belts back from Public Enemy. Which is an exchange I still wonder about. At the time I was not "smart" to the workings of wrestling, but assumed it was a way to get the tag belts to the Outsiders. They even advertised Outsiders vs Public Enemy on the Halloween Havoc report. Then Harlem Heat won the belts back on the weekend show. 

Public Enemy never got near the tag titles again. WCW had their shit together mostly in 96. So I wonder why they did such a random title swap. My first thought was Bischoff or Kevin Sullivan had promised P.E the tag titles. Or Matt suggested it was to give the TV a more spontaneous feeling. Anybody else have an idea?

9 hours ago, Victator said:

I have been watching some WCW Saturday Nights on youtube. One episode had Harlem Heat winning the tag team belts back from Public Enemy. Which is an exchange I still wonder about. At the time I was not "smart" to the workings of wrestling, but assumed it was a way to get the tag belts to the Outsiders. They even advertised Outsiders vs Public Enemy on the Halloween Havoc report. Then Harlem Heat won the belts back on the weekend show. 

Public Enemy never got near the tag titles again. WCW had their shit together mostly in 96. So I wonder why they did such a random title swap. My first thought was Bischoff or Kevin Sullivan had promised P.E the tag titles. Or Matt suggested it was to give the TV a more spontaneous feeling. Anybody else have an idea?

Good question. It did seem like a random change.

If I recall it was because one of PE needed time off due to injury so the belts were dropped to HH for the transitioon to Hall/Nash. PE was off TV for a littlr bit after that if my memory is correct (Note: Never trust my memory)

James

• Like 1