DVDVR Message Board

Tabernacle! - Raw is Montreal - 4/30/2018

Dolfan in NYC

From the WON recap:

Zayn was the biggest babyface on this card--until Kevin Owens show up. He got an overwhelming reaction. Owens also spoke French to chants of "We." Owens said he knows Zayn can beat Reigns, but tonight what people want to see is Owens vs. Reigns. More "we" chants, and Owens told Reigns "That means yes."

anigif_enhanced-29893-1458316608-3.gif?d

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Goodear said:

What?  Yes, YES it is.  IT'S THE WORST IDEA.

I know the Brock Lesnar reign is so overly long and terrible and it makes you shudder at night while you hold your Million Dollar Man wrestling buddy but do you remember the Seth Rollins reign and how much it sucked?  I remember.  I ain't going back to that.  

This is simple and people are overcomplicating it.  Braun is the most over guy in the company.  Run with a face on top for more than 3 weeks for fucks sake and let people feel good for once.

I've admittedly always been higher than most on Seth. In-ring, his first reign was fine when they didn't overbook it. The issues were the "hehehe" promos and him being neutered by The Authority. As a fighting babyface, I think he works and he's having a good in-ring year. 

But let's talk about Braun - aside from the Roman matches and multi-man car crashes, name a legitimately great Braun Strowman singles match? Haven't the last few weeks shown that his best use is in these tag formats where he can make the hot tag and run roughshod? He works best in small doses. I dunno...that clunker he laid with Brock really gave me pause. Not all his fault, but that match made me doubt whether this a guy you want to expose in main events. 

I love Braun. Braun is great. And, of course Braun should be the top face in the company. But, there also needs to be a working standard for main events and  swapping Brock out for Braun isn't really solving that issue. 

I just worry that six months of Strowman six-minute title defenses on PPV where he goes over every heel clean is putting us in the same territory that killed Brock. I mean, Brock was the most over guy in the company before this reign started to sour people, too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

face Universal Champion Rollins wouldn’t be near as unbearable as heel champion Rollins, I think.

But I’m the only one that would watch that, apparently.

Face Rollins is world's better than Authority puppet, chickenshit heel champion Rollins. Rollins was miscast as the guy to sellout to the Authority. It should have always been Roman. Roman never had the personality to be Hogan or Cena. 

• Like 3

"We're not here to just STEAL the show. Nah. We're gonna TAKE it." Dolph Ziggler just took it to the next level, guys. Hopefully this is a reoccurring shtick.

"We're not here to just talk. Nah. We're gonna communicate."

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

WWE also already tried it and it didn't work so hot.

What did they try? Nobody is asking for a retread of Authority Rollins. As for trying him as a top face, I don't think he should be judged by his soft face turn and subsequent poorly-booked feud with Owens at the end of 2016. 

There's an appreciable difference in the audience investment in him now. Braun is the obvious first choice, but I've been surprised by how much I've enjoyed Rollins this year and how solid the audience reactions are. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

"We're not here to just STEAL the show. Nah. We're gonna TAKE it." Dolph Ziggler just took it to the next level, guys. Hopefully this is a reoccurring shtick.

"We're not here to just talk. Nah. We're gonna communicate."

• Like 3

Seth seems like a decent enough guy in candid stuff and sit downs, but his promos are a problem because at their foundation they are influenced by growing up listening to Hunter and Shawn talk. I'd instinctively have the same problem if I had to cut a promo, But I'm also not Seth Frickin Rollins. 

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

Heel Rollins wrestles like a face. Face Rollins is the world's most unlikable heel. Really, he'd be best off in a 2007 Russo TNA hell where he could just turn every week and none of us (but Casey apparently) would have to watch him.

Just give it up already Matt.  Your preferences are your preferences and nobody is looking to change your mind. He wouldn't be "better off" doing anything but what he's doing right now. He's super over with about 90% of the audience and you are just going to have to live with it.   I couldn't stand CM Punk for years, I thought he was a sloppy wrestler and his matches with big dudes like Brock Lesnar looked ridiculous.  But it wasn't about me. I could have wrote about how much I couldn't stand him every week,  it wasn't going to change things.  It didn't change the fact that he was over with the audience. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Just give it up already Matt.  Your preferences are your preferences and nobody is looking to change your mind. He wouldn't be "better off" doing anything but what he's doing right now. He's super over with about 90% of the audience and you are just going to have to live with it.   I couldn't stand CM Punk for years, I thought he was a sloppy wrestler and his matches with big dudes like Brock Lesnar looked ridiculous.  But it wasn't about me. I could have wrote about how much I couldn't stand him every week,  it wasn't going to change things.  It didn't change the fact that he was over with the audience. 

Pretty sure I'm closer to board average?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Pretty sure I'm closer to board average?

Now that's possible. I'm not a huge Rollins fan but I think he's a damn good babyface,  the energy he brings to these matches is infectious and in my view part of the reason why he's so over.  We can sit here and just write him off as MOVEZ but I think there's more to it than that.  The cruisers can do what he does in the ring with ease but he also has a good look and instead of being short and doing what he does, it's a guy over six feet and probably 220lbs+  doing it and it doesn't look out of place against big dudes because he's not a small guy himself. 

• Like 1

Can we all agree that no matter how good/bad he is, his superplex spots being a normal spot in his matches is fucking awful?

Probably not.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jaedmc said:

Can we all agree that no matter how good/bad he is, his superplex spots being a normal spot in his matches is fucking awful?

Probably not.

I'm high on Almas but hate that he does the double moonsault in every match.

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Probably not.

If Davey Richards does that Superplex / Falcon Arrow reversal spot that Rollins and Balor done we’d have 20 pages of “ugh this is awful”

4 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

If Davey Richards does that Superplex / Falcon Arrow reversal spot that Rollins and Balor done we’d have 20 pages of “ugh this is awful”

The proof may be lost in the depths of the interwebs, but I can tell you with certainty we did way more than 20 pages on Davey Richards and his superplex spots.

• Like 9