DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

12 hours ago, twiztor said:

I'm still a bit salty that the nWo came out to save Sting.

While in symbolic terms, there is something wrong with the NWO saving Sting, kayfabe-wise, Sting had long ago made peace with at least Nash and Hogan.  And Hall was always a walk-behinder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CreativeControl said:

What happened? I wasn't paying attention to wrestling around about that time

They booked Sting/Hunter, which was no ones idea of a dream match, and there weren't any expectations of it being a technical classic. They had one of the funniest matches ever on a major card, beginning with Sting randomly coming out to an Asian gong/drum/bell/string orchestra and Trips doing a Terminator entrance complete with Arnold (with CGI Termimator Face) introduction.

They have a fine match until they reach the final stretch, when DX comes out to interfere on Hunter's behalf and the NWO runs out for the save for Sting. There's a big schmozz, and when it looks like Sting has the upper hand, HBK runs in with a super kick and Hunter brains him with the sledgehammer for the winner. 

Then afterwards, Sting and Hunter do the respect handshake even though one just attempted to murder the other with a construction tool. DX and NWO are now obstensibly cool with each other. 

I'm an unapologetic fan of how stupid it is because I laughed my ass off the entire time and it didn't do anything to really hurt either guy or the show (in my opinion.) 

15 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Oh sorry, I meant in TNA haha. Was Hogan coming in why he went a bit Joker-esque?

The thing that stuck in my craw about the WM match was everything Sting was afraid would happen when he went to WWE happened. 

That's okay, I can go on and on about that too. 

Everything around it is terrible TNA faction stuff, but at its core they got a year out of the program by having Sting act like the heel who was really justified in his actions because he knew Hogan was a piece of shit. Then they turned Hogan and Sting was revealed to be right the entire time and they got a year of build out of it before they had a match. It showed surprising restraint and narrative complexity for TNA booking. 

It used all of the previous NWO history well, and was in keeping with Hogan's reputation for bleeding companies dry and Sting's history of being pushed too far until he snaps and behaving like a character from whatever the most recent comic book movie he'd seen. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Needed Jeff Farmer.

BUT somehow Johnny Ace hires the wrong Jeff Farmer.

"YIP! I don't like it when things aren't my...going my way. Triple H you turned the tables on me! You turned the tables in a wrong way!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, EVA said:

Joker Sting might legitimately be my favorite Sting.

It's not my favorite, but I think it's highly underrated.  He was really great in the role.  It's like he saw pics of Heath Ledger from Dark Knight, but never actually watched the movie, and thought acting like Cesar Romero would be good enough.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, nate said:

I'm all for a filter that converts "woop woop" into "YIP!" (Sorry, Eddie.)

Don't tempt me to start digging into what powers I actually have.  Like for instance, your new title.

• Haha 7
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, (BP) said:

That's okay, I can go on and on about that too. 

Everything around it is terrible TNA faction stuff, but at its core they got a year out of the program by having Sting act like the heel who was really justified in his actions because he knew Hogan was a piece of shit. Then they turned Hogan and Sting was revealed to be right the entire time and they got a year of build out of it before they had a match. It showed surprising restraint and narrative complexity for TNA booking. 

It used all of the previous NWO history well, and was in keeping with Hogan's reputation for bleeding companies dry and Sting's history of being pushed too far until he snaps and behaving like a character from whatever the most recent comic book movie he'd seen. 

Loved it. The post-match for Sting/Hogan at BFG 2011 is maybe my favorite pop in TNA history.

They have the full match up here, loved everything about it. Hulk doing media interviews all month leading up to it, insisting he was not going to take any bumps because of all the recent back surgeries making it extra impactful when he does and it ends up part of the match. Great big match feel for TNA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Loved it. The post-match for Sting/Hogan at BFG 2011 is maybe my favorite pop in TNA history.

They have the full match up here, loved everything about it. Hulk doing media interviews all month leading up to it, insisting he was not going to take any bumps because of all the recent back surgeries making it extra impactful when he does and it ends up part of the match. Great big match feel for TNA.

Agreed wholeheartedly not only one the best TNA matches but one of the better Sting vs Hogans, I'd say better than Starrcade 97 not the build up nothing compares to that build but the actual in ring match this one is better.  

• Like 2

TNA wasn't always shit. It's hard to believe but at one point TNA was a pretty good show.  I used to order the weekly shows once in a while before they landed a deal with Fox Sports.  It was okay, the heavyweight division was solid with a young AJ Styles and D'Lo Brown running around.  The x-division was good stuff and legit exciting. 

I think after the Fox Sports deal I started to sour on it some because Jeff Jarrett controlled the title and they kept bringing in old rivals to face him.  Not good.  

But then they landed the deal on Spike TV and I think this was around the time Kurt Angle,  Christian and Sting came in.  Samoa Joe,  AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels were having strong years.  Joe's winning streak was good stuff.   Joe vs. Angle felt like a big deal.  

The Hogan stuff was hit or miss.  But it was the last time TNA felt relevant.  They had Hogan, Sting, Ric Flair,  Kurt Angle,  all these legends and guys like Jeff Hardy and Christian were in the company and Styles and Joe.  They had a great balance of names and good talent.  It was quite the roster.  

I think you can make a case that from around 2006 to 2011 TNA was more interesting than WWE.   They didn't hit the highs of WWE but they were consistent and even with bad booking, their bad booking was better than RAW GM bullshit, Trump bullshit,  Guest GM bullshit,  Hornswaggle bullshit,  Diva Search bullshit.   My god Johnny Ace fucking sucked. 

After 2011..  I couldn't tell you.  I lost interest,  it got very bad and they started moving from channel to channel.  I haven't seen Impact in probably a couple years outside of the Hardy stuff.   

• Like 3

November 11 to November 12 was one of the better one year periods in TNA. April 12 when Bischoff was written off TV to October of that year when Jeff Hardy best Austin Aries for the TNA Championship at Bound For Glory was the peak. Based on Bully Ray vs Joesph Park alone. 

• Like 3