DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING JIBBER JABBER

RIPPA

Whenever I watch NJPW, I often think of which Japanese wrestlers could be brought to WWE and put right on the main roster without any big introductions or changes of character (I know I'm fantasy-booking here, because there's no way WWE would bring in a guy without tweaking SOMETHING).  I've often thought of Okada being a fairly easy one, you'd just have to get him to stop doing piledrivers and play up guys like Daniel Bryan calling him the best in the world.  KUSHIDA's another guy who probably wouldn't need much hype and would probably engage the crowd pretty quickly.  But I think the answer to this, especially after watching last week's ROH, is probably Minoru Suzuki.

Bring him out with the towel, the no-frills tights and pads, and let him just be a dickish asskicker and he would be over so quick.   Even in ROH, where he was up against the always popular Bullet Club, he just engages so well with the audience, even doing some semi-comedic spots (Like putting a guy in a leglock on the apron and doing pull-ups as he's doing it, sticking out his tongue and shushing the audience to not let the ref know what he was doing) and I thought "This is the guy they could bring in, change almost nothing (Except his piledriver) and he would probably be crazy over pretty quickly".

Oh, and Meltzer said Jacobs was fired mainly because of the Bullet Club photo. Smaller issues existed, but this was 100% the main reason. If he didn't take that selfie with them, he'd still have a job.

• Haha 1

This is Dave's write up from the new WON

Jimmy Jacobs (Chris Scoville, 33), who had been on the writing team, is no longer with the company. Jericho used to praise him, saying a lot of the ideas that he had that clicked like the list and the scarf came from Jacobs. Owens had also heavily praised him. Multiple sources, including in WWE, have said he was fired for posting a photo on Instagram taken before Raw in Ontario when he posed with The Young Bucks, Adam Page and Marty Scurll. This came shortly after Owens, Zayn and Styles all appeared as characters on the Being the Elite show. Jacobs was actually let go about a week ago, but it didn’t come out until 10/11. The photo was posted during the afternoon, before anyone would have known that WWE would have reacted the way it did to the Bullet Club publicity stunt. It was posted before it was known that taking a photo with the Young Bucks would be considered toxic in the WWE environment. As soon as the news broke, Jacobs was ready, as he had a T-shirt design made with design of a newspaper headline and the words “Unprofessional,” showing the photo in question that got him fired. Jacobs had been a writer with WWE since March 2015, and before that, had been with ROH most of the time from 2003 to early 2015. At that time, he obviously didn’t realize the company’s reaction to the spoof of the DX Invasion would be what it was, because literally nobody predicted what it would be ahead of time. But there is a different standard for talent, since Danielson has gone on social media to tease angles with Cody and the Young Bucks. Wrestling is really the weirdest business. Can you imagine if Bruce Buffer posted a photo on his instagram with Mike Goldberg and Dana White fired him over that

I don't know if using Dana White is the best analogy.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hammerva said:

The idea that now everyone who leaves the WWE is a potential Bullet Club member (or at least trolled like they are one) should tell you how watered they really are.

That ship sailed when they let in Bone Soldier.

Jacobs should have known better.  Writers are expendable to the WWE.  I doubt Vince even bothers to learn their names.

And per last night's WOR

Dave guesses Neville is done because he definitely walked out and as Dave said "he disappeared"

No one knows yet his motivations (which was basically clearly he wasn't happy about being asked to job to Enzo again but most likely there is a ton of additional layers and that was the final straw. Dave doesn't think being asked to lose to Enzo would be enough to get someone to quit)

He definitely has time left on his deal so if he going get his release, part of it will be the WWE telling him he can't speak about it

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And per last night's WOR

Dave guesses Neville is done because he definitely walked out and as Dave said "he disappeared"

No one knows yet his motivations (which was basically clearly he wasn't happy about being asked to job to Enzo again but most likely there is a ton of additional layers and that was the final straw. Dave doesn't think being asked to lose to Enzo would be enough to get someone to quit)

He definitely has time left on his deal so if he going get his release, part of it will be the WWE telling him he can't speak about it

Rumor is another lingering issue is the same one Austin Aries had with not having his pre-show match on the WM DVD.

By Mike Johnson on 2017-10-12 11:28:00
A few updates on the Neville-WWE situation:

*There have been reports that Neville walked out of Raw.  That is incorrect.  He was never on the road this past weekend as he did not work any of the live events and was not backstage, at any point, during Raw this past Monday.    Mustafa Ali worked the Raw house shows, wrestling Enzo Amore, replacing Neville, who was originally slated for those shows.

*The original plan for Raw was Neville vs. Enzo Amore, but that was changed late in the day when it became known Neville would not be at the taping (possibly when everyone was made aware he wasn't going to be there, because there was discussion of making it a non-title match after it was noted Neville technically could "not have" a title shot vs. Enzo), the decision was made to go with Kalisto and put the belt on him as a way to tie him to the legacy of Eddie Guerrero, as it was Guerrero's birthday and he legitimately helped inspire Kalisto to get into professional wrestling.

*According to two different sources, Neville has pushed for a release with the idea of leaving the company and building his name outside of it, similar to what Drew McIntyre did prior to his return to NXT.  Obviously, New Japan would be thrilled to have him back and he'd make a killing on the independent and international scene.

*We have been told there were several factors Neville was unhappy with.  One source claimed a souring point was being left off of the Wrestlemania 33 DVD, which meant no royalties from what is traditionally the biggest selling WWE DVD of the year.

*Neville is still under contract to the company and has not been released.  It is entirely possible the two sides will come to terms and he will return to the company, but as of right now, we are told he is not factored in any of the current plans for the Cruiserweight division or any other WWE brand and is not slated to travel to any house shows.  

*According to two different sources, Neville has pushed for a release with the idea of leaving the company and building his name outside of it, similar to what Drew McIntyre did prior to his return to NXT.  Obviously, New Japan would be thrilled to have him back and he'd make a killing on the independent and international scene.

Neville's sole New Japan booking was the 2012 Best of the Super Juniors tourney.  I'm guessing Johnson meant Dragon Gate?

I thought at the time that the Cruiserweight division was a colossal mistake. It weirdly pigeonholed guys as less than "regular" wrestlers and absolutely stunted upward mobility. I mean, it's a great gig for the guys they got from Evolve who never would have sniffed a WWE main roster gig but for anyone with any upward mobility on their career it's a death sentence. The sooner WWE kills the division the better. 

• Like 2

I don't see how Neville doesn't end up in NJPW. I know that's become the defacto "this wrestler should go here" thing, but he probably winds up there, which would be great.

Now, if Neville did leave WWE, would he retain his working Visa here? I don't know how any of that works.

45 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I thought at the time that the Cruiserweight division was a colossal mistake. It weirdly pigeonholed guys as less than "regular" wrestlers and absolutely stunted upward mobility. I mean, it's a great gig for the guys they got from Evolve who never would have sniffed a WWE main roster gig but for anyone with any upward mobility on their career it's a death sentence. The sooner WWE kills the division the better. 

I think Alvarez said it, but it bears repeating.  The cruiserweight division worked in WCW because 1) traditional "heavyweights" actually were bigger then and 2) the style was radically different form the rest of the roster.  Today, "heavyweights" are smaller, if they're not just outright cruiserweights like Balor.  How much bigger than the biggest guy on 205 Live is Sami or Seth?  And the heavyweights wrestling a more "cruiserweight" style, too.  When the only difference is, "well, these guys might be a little lighter," then what's the point?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

While Jacobs would be a fresh person to book Ring of Honor, chances are we would be New Japan's bitch just as much as Delirious is.   So does it really help.  

In terms of wins and losses, there's a little more parity than there used to be.  Ring of Honor still relies pretty heavily on NJPW to help fill out that roster, but that's kind of necessary because without them, ROH's roster is paper-thin and dull.

ROH averaged just over 1,100 people per show for the first six months of 2017. I don't think that falls under "drawing well". Their record setting attendance of 3,500 fell within that time period as well. Take away that show, and they are down to 990 a show.

Whats the size of the buildings they are running? are they putting 1,100 people in 20,000 seat basketball arenas or are they putting 1,100 people in building that are filled to capacity. They are a small company that is marketed to a small niche audience. Don't front like they are trying to pack huge buildings. over 1,000 people is drawing well for them.

• Like 1

Yea, I mean...1) ROH is a loss leader for Sinclair. It's meant to provide cheap programming. And, from reports, it does have a pretty good audience for its time slots. 2) They're filling the buildings they're running. 

The fact that the wrestlers aren't making money there isn't really the issue to the overall purpose of the company. The company is in as little danger of going under as they've ever been in their history, unless Sinclair decides to get out of the wrestling business. They're like a tiny WCW....except not losing 60 million a year. 

• Like 1

I mean it could be better in ROH for sure I mean with Sinclair's resources I they could be marketed and advertised a lot more aggressively but that's not gonna happen.

I mean it would nice if ROH ran more dates a year and toured in more parts of the country and yeah it'd also be nice if Sinclair paid some of the performers more so they could fill out the roster with more of the top indie talent out.

And of course Delirious not being booker anymore would also help. 

• Like 1