DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

The Duck Dynasty thing is just a redo of the Chik-fil-a debacle.  Left boycotts won't lead to anything, and the Patriots will buy Duck Defender shit in droves to show those "intolerents".  Robinson is gonna make a truckload of money off this.  Good Press move.

It's an interesting power play. A&E needs the Robertson family. They're its biggest moneymaker. However, the Robertson family was worth over 25 million dollars BEFORE Duck Dynasty. 

A bunch of people I work with ran out and bought up all the Phil / Duck Dynasty bobble heads from the local Wal-Mart in "protest" of A&E firing him. Wouldn't A&E be getting a good chunk of those sales? Yeah, I'm sure they're real upset by this "protest"

So I've been binge watching Friday Night Lights on Netflix . Great series so far, but what in the name if holy fuck was with the pipe murder at the beginning of season 2? Not only was it a disappointment as a conclusion of that particular story arc, but it seemed way out of place for the show as well. Please tell me ridiculous bullshit like this isn't a recurring theme in the upcoming.seasons?

Yeah, that one ends up sticking out like a sore thumb. You won't see anything else like it the entire rest of the series.

In the Grantland article some months ago, the creators basically admitted that it was a mistake.

You got a link to that article?

Now you listen to me...

• Like 1

The Duck Dynasty thing is just a redo of the Chik-fil-a debacle.  Left boycotts won't lead to anything, and the Patriots will buy Duck Defender shit in droves to show those "intolerents".  Robinson is gonna make a truckload of money off this.  Good Press move.

It's an interesting power play. A&E needs the Robertson family. They're its biggest moneymaker. However, the Robertson family was worth over 25 million dollars BEFORE Duck Dynasty. 

I don't get how they need this one reality show phenomenon.  After hearing from everyone forever how great the show was, I finally broke down a few weeks ago and watched some episodes and it was exactly like every other "follow a weird family around" reality show I've ever seen.

With all the hype, I was expecting something different or better, like maybe the way THE AMAZING RACE is qualitatively better than all the other competition reality shows.  But it was exactly the same.  The music...the situations, the editing, the set-up for someone to say something awkward and then the sudden pull into someone else's face for the "WTF?" look.  The way they cling to the one or two ideas that define them (like they describe everything as "the hillbilly X"  and then the next thing is "a hillbilly way to Y."

It was indistinguishable to me from the exterminator one, or the hog calling one, or the swamp one.

I fail to see how they aren't replaced by the next almost identical family/group within a few months.  It's almost funny how people seem to think that the success of this is because of the uniquely awesome qualities of this one family...when the reality is that the success is because of the mechanically repeatable nature of the format formula.

Bye, Duck guys!  Next!

But the bigoted asshole is still a bigoted asshole.

Sure and the PC police are still incredibly tough to take. There are more important issues in this world than concerning yourself with what some crazy old man is saying in a GQ interview. To my knowledge he and the rest of the family have never said anything close to this on their TV show so it's like he is out there spreading hate. These groups need to check their priorities. There are people who matter, who you need to go after and there are people who don't. This guy doesn't matter. You get him off of A&E and then what? What does that change?

The Paula Deen/Duck Dynasty comparison doesn't work, because Deen was already losing popularity before the racial slurs.  Pushing recipes full of butter and salt while making millions endorsing diabetic medication will make people realize what a hypocrite you are.

DD has two things going for it: 1) it's at the peak of its popularity and 2) the Robertsons never presented themselves as anything different than what they really are, messed up as that clearly is now.

I don't know if A&E needs the Robertsons, but a question--what are they bringing to the table that, say, Billy the Exterminator doesn't?  Both shows deal with kooky Louisiana-dwelling families. Both shows highlight businesses that the average person doesn't really think about. But the Robertsons have thrived, while Billy and his kin are still essentially unknown.  Why?

The answer speaks more about America than any of us Americans care to admit, I'd wager.

The Paula Deen/Duck Dynasty comparison doesn't work, because Deen was already losing popularity before the racial slurs.  Pushing recipes full of butter and salt while making millions endorsing diabetic medication will make people realize what a hypocrite you are.

DD has two things going for it: 1) it's at the peak of its popularity and 2) the Robertsons never presented themselves as anything different than what they really are, messed up as that clearly is now.

I don't know if A&E needs the Robertsons, but a question--what are they bringing to the table that, say, Billy the Exterminator doesn't?  Both shows deal with kooky Louisiana-dwelling families. Both shows highlight businesses that the average person doesn't really think about. But the Robertsons have thrived, while Billy and his kin are still essentially unknown.  Why?

The answer speaks more about America than any of us Americans care to admit, I'd wager.

For my money watching Billy get attacked by wild animals will always be more entertaining than a bunch of bearded dudes doing anything. 

• Like 1

We didn't talk about Almost Human this week and how good it was.  There has to be more then 3 people here that love that show.

It's very good. If they could just rid of Minka Kelly and replace her with someone who has a personality, I would be thrilled.

• Like 1

I do agree with this for whatever thats worth. 

The Duck Dynasty thing is just a redo of the Chik-fil-a debacle. Left boycotts won't lead to anything, and the Patriots will buy Duck Defender shit in droves to show those "intolerents". Robinson is gonna make a truckload of money off this. Good Press move.

I don't get how they need this one reality show phenomenon. After hearing from everyone forever how great the show was, I finally broke down a few weeks ago and watched some episodes and it was exactly like every other "follow a weird family around" reality show I've ever seen.

With all the hype, I was expecting something different or better, like maybe the way THE AMAZING RACE is qualitatively better than all the other competition reality shows. But it was exactly the same. The music...the situations, the editing, the set-up for someone to say something awkward and then the sudden pull into someone else's face for the "WTF?" look. The way they cling to the one or two ideas that define them (like they describe everything as "the hillbilly X" and then the next thing is "a hillbilly way to Y."

It was indistinguishable to me from the exterminator one, or the hog calling one, or the swamp one.

I fail to see how they aren't replaced by the next almost identical family/group within a few months. It's almost funny how people seem to think that the success of this is because of the uniquely awesome qualities of this one family...when the reality is that the success is because of the mechanically repeatable nature of the format formula.

Bye, Duck guys! Next!

You aren't wrong, but for whatever reason, this one is a bigger bit. Biggest reality show in cable history.