DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Which is why, after Roberton sells a fuckton of duck calls, and A&E gets a fuckton of money from the DVD sales from Patriots buying up the DVD's not realizing that A&E is getting that money, Robertson will be reinstated and Season 5 will be filmed, and Robertson and A&E will be laughing at the gullibility of the public.

Really, no one sees that this was just a publicity stunt?

For you FNL people, Peter Berg is on the BS report today.

I doubt Simmons could refrain from asking him about the proposed FNL movie.

Supposedly a script was prepared, was sent to Connie Britton, and the proposal got canned.

But the bigoted asshole is still a bigoted asshole.

Sure and the PC police are still incredibly tough to take. There are more important issues in this world than concerning yourself with what some crazy old man is saying in a GQ interview.

A gay person might think that fighting homophobic ignorance is a pretty important issue.  (really, so might a straight person, but there are more direct consequences for the gay person)

To my knowledge he and the rest of the family have never said anything close to this on their TV show so it's like he is out there spreading hate.

A&E would edit out anything like that.  But he has spread this nonsense before.  (Fear of the issue snowballing is probably why A&E acted swiftly)

These groups need to check their priorities. There are people who matter, who you need to go after and there are people who don't. This guy doesn't matter. You get him off of A&E and then what? What does that change?

It's worth considering that these groups have had tremendous success moving public opinion in the right direction.  To me, the point isn't to get him off of A&E.  It's to point out that what he said was ignorant and outside the mainstream (partly due to work done by groups like GLAAD).  And really, what better personification for those backward views could GLAAD want than a crazy old hillbilly? 

Is it bad that organizations have been formed to call out ignorant depictions of gay people? 

• Like 1

Sure and the PC police are still incredibly tough to take. There are more important issues in this world than concerning yourself with what some crazy old man is saying in a GQ interview.

So fucking concern yourself with them, already.

Seriously, what are you even arguing, here? That people shouldn't care about shit they care about?

Supposedly a script was prepared, was sent to Connie Britton, and the proposal got canned.

Odd because I always heard it was Kyle Chandler who was steadfastly against doing a FNL movie. Supposedly he felt they already did a movie and wanted the TV series to stand as its own thing. I'm sure he also didn't want to get typecast. Speaking of which:

Also, am I the only person who feels like Coach Taylor is pretty much what Kyle Chandler is in real life? I swear, every character he plays is pretty much Coach Taylor.

I might've watched a few episodes of Early Edition but literally cannot remember anything about the show for the life of me. He definitely reminded me of Coach Taylor in Super 8, though.

So while I can't say whether they are one in the same, it does totally freak me out whenever he opens his mouth and doesn't speak with a Texas drawl. Kinda like when I watched the first episode of Dracula and was completely thrown off by Jonathan Rhys-Myers trying to affect an American accent.

Odd because I always heard it was Kyle Chandler who was steadfastly against doing a FNL movie. Supposedly he felt they already did a movie and wanted the TV series to stand as its own thing. I'm sure he also didn't want to get typecast.

He might very well have been the reason.  The proposal got canned - I don't know the reason why.  Supposedly the script that had been created it made its way into Connie's hands.  At some point after that, it got canned.  The two things are not necessarily connected.

So, this week I found out a television show called Duck Dynasty exists.  I guess that's what happens when you only use the TV to watch sports and wrestling and Doctor Who.  I mean, I've gone out to see at least 50 movies this year, so if they're on film, I'd know who they are.  I saw Thor: The Dark World last weekend and looked up Kat Dennings' other credits.  Apparently, she has a sitcom I've never heard of.  When I was at the St. Louis Comic Con last spring, half the attendees wore t-shirts with "Bazinga" on them.  I had no clue what that was about until I looked it up.

Now that I think about it, I've seen people wearing t-shirts of bearded people, so that must be part of this whole Duck Dynasty thing.  I just figured it was crazy folks in ugly shirts and I wouldn't understand it if I tried, so why bother?  Like when I was in 8th grade and everyone in my class wore Rude Dog t-shirts and those stupid jams shorts.

Seriously, what are you even arguing, here? That people shouldn't care about shit they care about?

It doesn't change a thing because NOBODY is taking this guy seriously and he doesn't fucking matter. Yes, lets draw more attention to a crazy old hick with his crazy old opinions. That's really going to accomplish something. You want to place pressure on policymakers? Sure, I'm all for it. That makes SENSE. Again, what does going after this guy accomplish? How does it progress gay rights? It's a waste of time. Nobody gives a shit about D-list celebrity opinions. Why is this country so obsessed with pop culture.. it's ridiculous.. Ignoring these idiots would be the best thing for everyone. By going after them you are valuing their opinions..

Now my FB feed is filled with idiots coming out of the woodwork defending "free speech"..So much for making progress. More people are pissed that their "freedoms" are being "taken away" LOL. 

The only positive is that situations like these will shed light on who you need to delete.

People need to stop using the term "PC Police", that shit was tired in 1998. 

Please elaborate.

It doesn't change a thing because NOBODY is taking this guy seriously and he doesn't fucking matter. Yes, lets draw more attention to a crazy old hick with his crazy old opinions. That's really going to accomplish something. You want to place pressure on policymakers? Sure, I'm all for it. That makes SENSE. Again, what does going after this guy accomplish? How does it progress gay rights? It's a waste of time. Nobody gives a shit about D-list celebrity opinions. Why is this country so obsessed with pop culture.. it's ridiculous.. Ignoring these idiots would be the best thing for everyone. By going after them you are valuing their opinions..

Well, judging by this, some people do take their opinions seriously. Their guy beat out the guy that the governor endorsed. The crazy old hick is also a multi-millionaire with a Master's Degree, for what its worth.

• Like 1

So you're not arguing that people shouldn't care about what they care about, you're arguing they should act on it in ways you think they should act, preferably something that doesn't affect your FB feed. Got it.

Yeah, I think we're done here.

Thanks for the link, Baldy Bombshell. Interesting.

Which is why, after Roberton sells a fuckton of duck calls, and A&E gets a fuckton of money from the DVD sales from Patriots buying up the DVD's not realizing that A&E is getting that money, Robertson will be reinstated and Season 5 will be filmed, and Robertson and A&E will be laughing at the gullibility of the public.

Really, no one sees that this was just a publicity stunt?

I floated that possibility several pages back.

But, yeah, not much left to say.

I'm getting a feeling that I'm gonna be real dissappointed with Intelligence.

Intelligence reminds me a bit of My Own Worst Enemy in that it feels more like a silly TV show that would be going on in the background of an actual TV show.

It really does sound like something Johnny Drama would be involved with. "So my new show, it's about this secret agent who can, you know, control electricity...with his mind." Rest of the gang: "Woah."