DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

I thought Oz really fell off after Adibisi was killed off. There was still a lot of good stuff with The O'Reillys trying to get Cyril out of the death penalty and Alverez looking for redemption but I just didn't like it as much.

So I guess I turn to Boardwalk Empire next to see the further evolution of Omar Little? 

Errrr... I wouldn't say an evolution. More like a regression. But still an incredibly dynamic, multi-layered character who is cold-blooded as hell. 

Adebisi getting it (and getting it from Said of all people!) was a stunner and could have ended the show right there almost. So I can see why people got disappointed after that, though it still stayed fresh. To me the main storyline after that was Keller and Beecher's off and on again love affair which was still interesting.

For all the Friday Night Lights praise I just can't bring myself to check it out. Maybe it's that I kind of hate what I know of Texas football culture, maybe it's the fact that it's an NBC drama. I just don't buy that it could possibly be as good as some people claim.

There's plenty of Texas football culture in the show but at its heart, it's really a show about a married couple that aren't dysfunctional and a pretty darn realistic portrayal of a normal group of teenagers.

Finished season 7 of Dexter.  It definitely goes off the rails as I described earlier and the lack of a good overall villain hurt it.  That said, things started to come back together at the end of the season with Laguerta closing in on Dexter and his world slowly starting to crumble around him.  Obviously, there are a million implausible things that happen to keep Dexter out of jail but that's no different than earlier seasons.  Where they messed up is that the finale of season 7 could have been a GREAT series finale - if only Deb had shot Dexter instead.  That would have been a perfect ending, IMHO.  Instead, we get something else and now I get to head into season 8 wondering what impossible-to-believe scenario will explain the confrontation in the storage crate.

I watched a lot of Elementary and its basically CSI. Meaningless fluff and filler all wrapped up neatly in 42 minutes.

Come on you cannot compare the fully developed characters of Elementary to the cardboard cut outs on CSI.

I just realized what Elementary reminds me of: Jonathan Creek. Lots of "How did he/she do it?" Particularly the second episode where he figures out how the woman in a coma could have committed two murders.

It would be a better show if they relied less on the Case of the Week and on longer storyline arcs. But I'd put that down to CBS' influence.

I watched a lot of Elementary and its basically CSI. Meaningless fluff and filler all wrapped up neatly in 42 minutes.

Come on you cannot compare the fully developed characters of Elementary to the cardboard cut outs on CSI.

I just realized what Elementary reminds me of: Jonathan Creek. Lots of "How did he/she do it?" Particularly the second episode where he figures out how the woman in a coma could have committed two murders.

It would be a better show if they relied less on the Case of the Week and on longer storyline arcs. But I'd put that down to CBS' influence.

Jonathan Creek was way better, but yeah it's a serial and everything wraps up nicely and nothing actually matters so sure. CSI.

In fairness, if Elementary gets renewed next year, it will almost certainly get a fourth due to syndication and stuff, at that point I think the pressure will be off and they can focus more on longer storylines and not appealing to casual fans as much.

Oh man, you're going to be in for a surprise in the first five minutes of the first episode....

Considering I was hoping that the surprise would be that Dex killed Deb after she shot Maria, I was more than a little let down by "Deb is a bounty hunter doing cocaine".

I think if it was 10-13 episodes a season it would be great unfortunately they need 10 filler episodes in between the ones that matter.

NBC are doing this with Hannibal. The Following and Sleepy Hollow are getting 12-15 episodes too.

From a storyline standpoint it's absolutely better, but considering how crucial syndication deals are as shows go along, it usually puts them on the chopping block too.

100 doesn't seem to be the target point for syndication necessarily anymore. I can think of several shows that have gotten it without hitting that mark recently.

100 doesn't seem to be the target point for syndication necessarily anymore. I can think of several shows that have gotten it without hitting that mark recently.

I think the number to hit is 88. Hence why, if a 22 episode a series show has a third season, you give it a fourth, no matter how crap its ratings are.

Although Nikita has less, about 81 or 82, so it doesn't have to be exact. Technically, any series can go into syndication, but ideally, you want 88.

Reed's right.  88 is the nominal number, which is about 4 Broadcast Network seasons (being about 22-23 episodes each, compaired to Suscriber Cable/UK seasons of 10-13).

81's the bare minimum ideally, although stuff like Star Trek TOS and Original BSG got syndicated with less than 80 episodes.

Good reads on the issue. Seems to confirm the 88 figure.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/10/01/cw-the-syndication-gods-saved-nikita-for-a-4th-season-and-theyll-save-hart-of-dixie-too/205417/

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/09/24/nbc-grimm-is-certain-to-be-renewed/203687/

Basically, it's pretty difficult for your average new network show to get past a first season, but assuming it does, it may have a more reliable future than many cable shows. Assuming it doesn't crash completely in the second series obviously.