DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

I mostly liked the pacing. It felt like the story had time to breathe and make certain moments mean something while also building up the mythology more. I can't help but wonder how much disappointment for some here comes from thinking of this as a one and done. 

I knew the finale was going to have a lot of setting up other stuff. It's just that what they set up isn't that interesting to me. It also doesn't help that Ray Stevenson passed away, and no one wants to see that part recast.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

I mostly liked the pacing. It felt like the story had time to breathe and make certain moments mean something while also building up the mythology more. I can't help but wonder how much disappointment for some here comes from thinking of this as a one and done. 

Dude, I don't know what to tell you. The season was paced fine. The finale was flatter than a pancake. There may be more dangling threads at the end of this season than I've seen from just about any season of TV in the last 10 years. JL put it best basically saying there was too much to wrap up so this was bound to be disappointing at worst. It's not like it was a bad finale, but it was a finale to a series where they could have used two more episodes.

To complicate matters, a writer's strike JUST ended and I doubt there's much of anything for a movie or a season 2 that's remotely close to being complete. An actor's strike is still ongoing, which is going to create a huge backlog that needs to be finished once that's done. Ray Stevenson is gone and I don't even know how you recast his role and make that satisfying (I'm trying to think of a similar situation and the only thing I can think of is Dumbledore). And considering how Star Wars movie projects have a history of being shelved, there's no telling when there will be or if there will be a finish to this. I'm guessing there will be, but it's probably going to be 3 to 5 years away at least and probably more than that. That's a long time to wait for answers to a bunch of questions that most people will probably forget.

I have no doubt that this season was made in good faith to continue it, but given Dave Filoni's and Jon Favreau's experience in Hollywood, they should have seen a likely strike coming and maybe not include so much that needs to be tidied up.

Also, put yourself in the shoes of anyone else watching this. When some of that bigger stuff at the end happens, it's happening with maybe 5 minutes left. As a viewer, it takes some of the wind out of your sails knowing that you're going to have a lot of unanswered questions because they spent a whole lot of time on sisters and zombies and swords and a very slow moving chase scene.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Dude, I don't know what to tell you. The season was paced fine. The finale was flatter than a pancake. There may be more dangling threads at the end of this season than I've seen from just about any season of TV in the last 10 years. JL put it best basically saying there was too much to wrap up so this was bound to be disappointing at worst. It's not like it was a bad finale, but it was a finale to a series where they could have used two more episodes.

What are the many dangling threads you expected to be solved here? The biggest threads of the season were focused on finding Ezra, trying to stop Thrawn from returning, & the relationship of Ahsoka and Sabine as master and padawan. These were all dealt with. Everything else didn't feel like was meant to be or needed to be solved here. Some of it was straight up setup for future stories. If it just didn't interest you like RandomAct I could understand. Otherwise I'm not getting how any of it is more bothersome than what we normally see from a tv series, good or bad. It just feels like some of you are holding the show not being made as a one and done against it.

Edited by Eivion
  • Thanks 1

Disney+ finales always leave dangling threads setting up the next show or movie.  It’s frustrating, but expected at this point. It kind of reminds me of when the WWE Network had their free preview months and the end of the PPVs in those months were always teasers/cliffhangers for Raw.

I liked this season fine, but catching up on this thread, I’m surprised I’m in the minority in thinking that dickhead in Hera’s hearing was an obvious Imperial working to undermine the New Republic.

5 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I liked this season fine, but catching up on this thread, I’m surprised I’m in the minority in thinking that dickhead in Hera’s hearing was an obvious Imperial working to undermine the New Republic.

I kind of wondered this as well, but I can't really be sure with what we got this season.

We still have one episode to go but i think part of the problem is that they haven't announced the next thing yet and how it'll build from this, or when, right? We're getting what? Skeleton Crew, Mandalorian Season 4, Andor Season 2, Acolyte?

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

Ahsoka, overall a good season, but I'll be damned if that wasn't an underwhelming finale. 

Spoiler

I feel like they left a lot of questions unanswered. Shin Hati kind of just disappeared, and now she's organizing the bandits or something?

I get that Ahsoka and Sabine probably aren't permanently stuck on Peridea, but it just feels like something was off about their predicament at the end.

Baylan Skoll just kind of also disappeared at the end other than he's searching for something on Peridea as well, perhaps something related to the Archetypes from Clone Wars and Rebels. Unfortunately, that's the last of Ray Stevenson as Baylan Skoll. Not sure how they are going to work around that for the future. 

How did Ezra get away from Thrawn? Why did Ezra never search out these ruins? Why did Thrawn awaken the Nightsisters? How did he accomplish this? What is the cargo? Why should we be concerned about the cargo? Did the Shadow Council know about the cargo? They seemed to know that Thrawn was alive and out there, and they wanted him back. And yet, he's still just one star destroyer, minimal forces, and a lot of cargo. An army of Nightsisters or some such? Do the Nightsisters not know what Palpatine did?'

Also, if they discovered a whole other galaxy, what about the rest of the galaxy? What about the Grysk Hegemony? Isn't Thrawn's whole purpose to protect his race and home planet from the Grysk Hegemony? Why after all this time is Thrawn still so dedicated to the belief that only the Empire can fight against the Grysk? 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Also, Zeb not appearing this whole season was a major error. You have a throwaway cameo of Zeb in S3 of Mandalorian, which is cool and all, but this should've been his live-action debut. To have Carson show up to help Hera and not Zeb was ridiculous considering Zeb is working for the New Republic and part of their fleet! It kind of ticks me off.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

Some of you may remember the old genre magazine Cinefantastique. It was a marvel at the time, uniquely in-depth of coverage in special effects, acting, directorial work, screenwriting of sci-fi, horror, and fantasy films -- and had a notoriously snobby reviewing staff. I'd go so far as to call most of their writers (which included noted author and historian Tim Lucas) "haters". They didn't like the '82 Thing, FFS. Now I just found out, that of all things, when it came out, they didn't like...

The Empire Strikes Back. 

Or The Shining, or Friday the 13th, as you can read here. 

https://ia601003.us.archive.org/6/items/cinefantastique_1970-2002/Cinefantastique Vol 10 No 2 (1980).pdf

EDIT: Oh man, and the review has future story speculation that could have easily been written in a 1980 version of this board right next to it!

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I watched it last night and it was delightful.  I was grinning from ear to ear the whole time. I saw both the Donny and Marie Star Wars show and the Holiday Special when they first aired, so the doc was a trip back to being 8 years old and obsessed with Star Wars. Like they said in the doc, that period between Star Wars and Empire where they hadn't put it all together yet was so much fun and so weird.

• 4 weeks later...

Also buried in that article is a confirmation that they're beginning to work on Ahsoka season 2.

I will need more info on this movie before I get excited about it. (she says, lying like a liar)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

We can’t use Lone Wolf and Cub, even though this is basically influenced by it, so let’s just call it the Mandalorian and Grogu.

Basic name aside, I’m down for this. GIVE ME MORE COBB VANTH YOU FUCKS. I need more space Raylan Givens in my life.

• Like 2

After seeing the returns on the Marvels, you’d think Disney wouldn’t be so eager to push more chips in on film projects that demand some pre-knowledge of D+ shows. Of course it’s been so long since they managed to deliver one of their many announced movies in this part of their portfolio, so maybe there’s enough demand for big screen Star Wars to push this thing to Solo numbers. 

2 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Also buried in that article is a confirmation that they're beginning to work on Ahsoka season 2.

I will need more info on this movie before I get excited about it. (she says, lying like a liar)

This also appears to be a a different movie from the Filoni movie that is supposed to be the finale of his current shows’ arc.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 5:11 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

After seeing the returns on the Marvels, you’d think Disney wouldn’t be so eager to push more chips in on film projects that demand some pre-knowledge of D+ shows. Of course it’s been so long since they managed to deliver one of their many announced movies in this part of their portfolio, so maybe there’s enough demand for big screen Star Wars to push this thing to Solo numbers. 

This is legit one of Disney’s biggest, most well-known and merchandised properties, especially when considering the fact it’s only been a Disney+ show.  It’s nothing like the Marvels (which was actually good).

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 2

Just now, JonnyLaw said:

This is legit one of Disney’s biggest, most well-known and properties, especially when considering the fact it’s only been a Disney+ show.  It’s nothing like the Marvels (which was actually good).

To clarify, by “this” I’m referring specifically to Mando & Grogu, not just Star Wars in general.  You can’t escape the Grogu (and to a lesser extent Mando) merch in kids stuff(clothes, toys, seasonal merchandise).

4 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

This is legit one of Disney’s biggest, most well-known and properties, especially when considering the fact it’s only been a Disney+ show.  It’s nothing like the Marvels (which was actually good).

2 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

To clarify, by “this” I’m referring specifically to Mando & Grogu, not just Star Wars in general.  You can’t escape the Grogu (and to a lesser extent Mando) merch in kids stuff(clothes, toys, seasonal merchandise).

Oh for sure if they’re gonna go in on getting a TV property on the big screen, this would be the one. I’m not as worried about this as say the untitled Filoni project. I just find the timing curious with them realizing how much D+ has diluted so many properties. But yeah, this won’t do as bad as Marvels numbers.