DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game, v.51

Dolfan in NYC

Hated seeing the Patriots win. Was hoping for a Falcons win but sadly they fizzled out at the end.

On a positive note some commercials were pretty good, and the halftime show was amazing.  Take the batshit crazy elements from years past away and you're left with one helluva singer/performer.  I'll put it at on the Prince scale.

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

From the time the Falcons went up 28-3 to the end of the game, they ran the ball a total of 5 times.

So they didn't choke, they straight up Did The Job.

That's some Ric Flair climbing the turnbuckle instead of just going for the figure four shit.

• Like 1

Someone on radio made a great point: all these great teams of the past had numerous hall of famers. Who other than Brady and likely Gronk from the 15 year run will end up in Canton (technically Moss and Seau but they were on the back end of their careers and made their names elsewhere)? Anyone who would argue the greatness of Brady at this point is either someone blinded by hate of the Pats or just batpoop crazy.

• Like 1

Depending on his longevity I think McCourtey could be a possible HoFer. I would have said Vollmer was a possibility a couple years ago too but I think injuries have slowed him down too much for him to have a hall of fame career. 

It will be really interesting to see how the Falcons come back next year, I think part of Carolina's issues this year were being demoralized from how the Broncos shut them down in the Super Bowl. Atlanta is a young team and it's gonna say a lot about the players and their coaching staff how they come back next year.

This might be psychologically worse than the Panthers though they were never really in the game they got beat out of the gates. The Falcons had the game and watched it all go away, that's got to be really tough on any player.

35 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

3rd and 1 should haunt them forever.

Looking forward to Kyle Shannahan getting the 49ers HC gig in spite of that brainfartery that should disqualify him from being Coordinator/HC for any NFL team ever again

tumblr_mqq2w9Rc8H1sd9cjeo1_500.gif

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Someone on radio made a great point: all these great teams of the past had numerous hall of famers. Who other than Brady and likely Gronk from the 15 year run will end up in Canton (technically Moss and Seau but they were on the back end of their careers and made their names elsewhere)? Anyone who would argue the greatness of Brady at this point is either someone blinded by hate of the Pats or just batpoop crazy.

Vince Wilfork

Yes Wilfork is a lock, I didn't notice we were talking the whole 15 year run or I would have mentioned him for sure. Ty Law could have an outside chance to sneak in sometime. Vinatieri and Gostkowski could also get in though it's harder for kickers. And I'm guessing Revis fits in with Moss and Seau)

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Vince Wilfork

I wouldn't be surprised if Wilfork didn't make it, based purely on his position.  I don't see how you get in as a DT unless you're Warren Sapp or someone like that who was a pass rusher from the inside.

Whilst there's a handful of other HoF caliber players in their prime, it's not like the rest were all bums.  There's plenty that will make, or have already made, the Patriots' Hall.  To use a Kingism, there's a load that would belong in the hall of very good - moreso defensively.

Drew Bledsoe, Ty Law, Willie McGinest, Kevin Faulk, Tedy Bruschi, and Troy Brown are already in the Pats HoF.  I thought Matt Light was too, but turns out I was wrong.

12 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Whilst there's a handful of other HoF caliber players in their prime, it's not like the rest were all bums.  There's plenty that will make, or have already made, the Patriots' Hall.  To use a Kingism, there's a load that would belong in the hall of very good - moreso defensively.

Drew Bledsoe, Ty Law, Willie McGinest, Kevin Faulk, Tedy Bruschi, and Troy Brown are already in the Pats HoF.  I thought Matt Light was too, but turns out I was wrong.

From what Mike Lombardi has said on Bill Simmons podcast, they have made a decision to have a large middle class of players than having a few great players.  Basically they have Brady, who is elite, and will always be their highest paid player.  He takes paycuts that makes it almost impossible to have a bunch of elite talents, because they won't pay anyone more than him.  So while they might not have many great players, they have a shitload of really good players.  It is kind of the reason they were ultimately better than Manning's Colts.  Manning, James, #88, Wayne, Freeney, etc.  were all hall of fame talents, but they also demanded hall of fame prices.  That meant everyone else on the team were cheap ass players who were ultimately marginal NFL players.  Brady doesn't have many hall of fame level teammates, but he doesn't have many below average teammates either.  

• Like 3

Fair play to Osi Umenyiora, for admitting that he was wrong.

"For the last year and a half I've talked about how Tom Brady is not the greatest of all time. I take it all back. The improbability of what this man just did, I can't believe what I have seen with my own two eyes.

"It is unbelievable. I take back every negative thing I ever said about this man, he shut me up today. He truly is the greatest."

You don't need HOF players up and down the roster in this era though. I was discussing with a buddy and first.. just look at the AFC East over the past decade or more.  Jets, Dolphins and Bills, only the Jets had a couple seasons where they were competitive with the Pats. Then there's the rule changes which have protected QBs more than any other position. It's easier to throw yes but it's also led to guys being able to extend their careers. 

People talk about Montana being on stacked teams but the 49ers were also playing other stacked teams in the playoffs. Plus, Montana was knocked out a few times on hits that would be illegal today. Montana wasn't meant for a long career. 

It's not crazy to say Tom is better but it is crazy to me to say Tom is without a doubt better.. there's an argument to be made.

• Like 1

I'm sure he's thrilled that the certain someone who was punched in the face a few weeks ago embraced their win as a glorious win for a certain group of people and went on about it for hours. Some more punching needs to be done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I'm sure he's thrilled that the certain someone who was punched in the face a few weeks ago embraced their win as a glorious win for a certain group of people and went on about it for hours. Some more punching needs to be done.

He got punched twice I believe. For a white supremacist, his reflexes ain't all that supreme. 

• Like 2