DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Random match from 1988, the last year of "World of Sport" wrestling. 2 wrestlers turned actors, Pat Roach of Indiana Jones fame, vs "Sky Walker" aka Tyler Mane of X-Men and Rob Zombie's "Halloween" fame.

Edited by Happ Hazzard
  • Like 2

Awesome find brought to light by Rob Viper on Twitter this morning:

Rookie year JOHN CENA working second-from-the-top underneath a lucha minis main event at WPW Anaheim Marketplace parking lot lucha show in 2000, coming down with his tag team partner to Inner Circle's "Bad Boys", taking lucha armdrag spots and doing a "fake an injury" heel spot. Link here timestamped to the match.

• Like 3

On 7/17/2023 at 12:11 AM, porksweats said:

This channel is the Midwest Indie equivalent of Bryan Turner's channel, 

Whoa! Whoever this is uploaded BUCKEYE PRO WRESTLING~! from 8/1/03, which I think was their debut show. Going to subscribe just for that.

• Like 2

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkx3fe

I finally got around to watching this twenty years later....

- I love that the whips into the ropes have intent, that you can see that it's part of a strategy, it's deliberately setting the opponent up for something that isn't their opponent hitting a spot on them. I love the forearm shots to weaken the guy into making it easier to whip them into the ropes, its a spot I can't believe no-one else uses. 

- The armwork feels phoned in. I like that there's subtle little bits of selling of it with Kobashi opening and clutching at his hand/wrist to maintain feeling in it, I enjoy the bigger context of the grapple for control and dominance that it leads to, but it feels disengaged. 

- Enjoying the scouting of the big moves. It does a good job of establishing that these are death, but also in the ensuing 2.999999 fest, it feels out of place.

- Jesus, Kobashi just gets nuked on his head with that suplex. I can't tell if the immediate roll out of the ring is just giving it its rightful sell, or the guy is really rocked by it. Assuming the latter. It's a spot that should play a bigger role in the match as it goes on. Three minutes into the match this feels really glossed over. 

- Misawa's top rope dropkick is a thing of beauty. I love the sequencing again, things have a logical order and progression to them.

- The armwork is starting to come through, it's slow, it's methodical, and it's sold well. I love how engaged the audience is in this minor struggle in the bigger battle.

- That guardrail spot on the dive fake out into a cannonball looked brutal. I liked that there's what feels like this ad-libbed urgency from Kobashi on Misawa splattering his teeth into the guardrail and attacks him with the ax kicks and really hammers home the advantage. The dragon suplex on the outside was just super unnecessary, both in general, and in the context of what was building. It's a real precursor to spots that hurt like hell and are just a pointless spot in the match. 

- Love the elbow drops to the head into the turnbuckle, again a spot no-one does, and it looks like it hurts, without actually killing someone.

- By the third unnecessary head drop (the DDT on the ramp), the crowd just doesn't respond or engage with it. Then there's the two snap suplexes on Misawa's head into another submission which brings the crowd to life. I hate hate hate the stiff looking chops to the neck. I hate the logic of beating the shit out of a guy for such little return. They look vicious because they likely are. I think that sort of spot works in the end stages of a match, but again as a midpoint transition it gets lost in the shuffle. So much investment for so little return. At this point I probably realise I'm looking for the wrong things - hoping that these guys are wanting to tell a story beyond the very real athletic struggle they're conveying, I can't help but marvel at the point where these guys are clearly gassed, but exchanging a safer form of bombs, until catching their wind sufficiently to resume dropping each other on their head for no real point.

- I hate the repeated head drop by this point, and I know I'm in the wrong place, but struggle to empathise with watching a guy get repeatedly dropped on his head, who would years later die from this exact repeated type of spot, it feels low hanging fruit to criticize in hindsight, but without that added layer, still feel that this is a lot of work for little return. I love that the safest of spots seem to extract the bigger pops. The straitjacket suplex off the ramp to the floor absolutely proves me wrong here, and rightfully so, but I can't quite bring myself to fully appreciate it beyond the absolute stupidity of the concept, and the disregard for their own safety. Perhaps, that its the trust these two have in each other that allows them to take these liberties. I hate what it inspires, it feels a gonzo art form that gets overshadowed by death match stupidity. These guys feel capable of knowing better.

I don't want to give a star rating, as it's not going to be the ***** most give it, and to do so feels deliberately contrarian. I'm not even sure what context to view it in, but this does little for me. I appreciate the execution, but really have no time for their overall vision of what they wanted to accomplish from this match and how they went about it.

Not as good as I expected it to be but still really good. The crowd was hot for these entrances and hot enough for the match. Was the crowd noise fake maybe? You could usually very obviously tell when it was fake on Nitro. If it wasn’t fake then there’s a far fetched explanation. The weeks leading up to the ppv they discussed was the start of WCW being good again for those months in 1999 before it crapped out again that summer. 

• Like 2

https://noodlemagazine.com/watch/-54361599_456245132

(NSFW site hosting Shibata vs Okada).

I love the start of this match, the story of Shibata taking Okada out of his comfort zone and dominating the pace initially with the British chain wrestling and counters, and then starts to light him up with strikes and kicks.

This is the part where the match falls off a cliff for me - the commentary do an awful job of selling that Shibata is this dominant, and that Okada is in trouble, it barely even registers. The transitions between Shibata control segments to Okada countering and taking over feel unconvincing and rushed. They don't take the necessary desperation of Okada surviving the onslaught, getting a lucky shot and taking over. Finish is fantastic, really puts over Shibata's fighting spirit after refusing to stay down despite getting absolutely smashed with the Rainmaker.

A good match that's ruined by the minor details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2OLvGT5ROU

I am thirty years way too late to this party, and I love it. Everyone plays their role to perfection. I wish more people with lariat/kick finishes used the "grumpy veteran takes advantage of inexperienced opponent not paying attention as he's not tagged in on the apron and hitting him with a big boot" spot. It's effective as hell.

The never say die faces took a shit kicking to be put down, and I really wanted to see them win it. That match would have got heat anywhere in the world. Fucking lovely stuff. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suERnvHUeOQ

Roddy Piper Vs. Jack Brisco for the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Championship. JUL. 10, 1982.

I love the story that gets told here using mostly just two moves. I feel like this could be useful when they finally decide to end the story of the MJF/Darby headlock takeover.

"I beat him with just power. Power and money".

• Thanks 2

Ok here's a really weird one - a TV pilot for something called Urban Empire Wrestling was filmed at historic Philadelphia boxing venue The Blue Horizon (the only wrestling show ever held there to my knowledge) in 2003 using largely CHIKARA guys. They ran a one-night tournament with some pretty good matches in front of zero fans, including Mike Quackenbush vs. Julio Dinero:

And here's the 8-man tag dark match from the taping which was all CHIKARA trainees including Icarus, Kingston, etc.:

5 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suERnvHUeOQ

Roddy Piper Vs. Jack Brisco for the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Championship. JUL. 10, 1982.

I love the story that gets told here using mostly just two moves. I feel like this could be useful when they finally decide to end the story of the MJF/Darby headlock takeover.

"I beat him with just power. Power and money".

One of the greatest pieces of '80s territory storytelling TV here, right up there with Flair vs. DiBiase in Mid-South and any of the great Memphis stuff. I've said it before but Roddy and Brisco going into par terre and grappling amateur-style is such a mark-out moment for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Oh fuck right off. That's clearly not what I'm referring to, and it's pretty disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

You were not suggesting that there but there are a lot of people who are all "this is a great match let's rewatch it" and a guy literally nearly died in the middle of it and definitely suffered a life threatening medical emergency during the course of it. It's basically like watching later years Misawa taking one of the last few head drops he could get away with, I think a lot of people really don't seem to care about these performers as actual human beings and every so often it boils up in me enough to go "that's rather callous and a bit creepy, maybe don't". 

Like let's keep it 100, you wrote "Finish is fantastic, really puts over Shibata's fighting spirit after refusing to stay down despite getting absolutely smashed with the Rainmaker" while watching a guy who is already starting to be symptomatic from his brain bleed and in fact might be acting that way because of it, sorry you were the wrong place/wrong time guy when I got irked by this again but at best that's cold and uncaring. Maybe let's both be better in the future.

• Like 2

I wrote pretty much exactly that perspective about half a dozen posts up re Misawa/Kawada. It doesn't stack up at all when you realise that constantly dropping guys on their head for transition spots lead to him dying. It's not what I want in a match to enjoy.

My comments on the Shibata match were completely limited to how poor the commentary and layout of the match were. If I'm mistaking a preconceived match layout/spot/structure for something that was a legitimate injury, then I'm absolutely in the wrong. It looked like the finish to me, rather than calling an audible because of what occurred.

• Like 1