DVDVR Message Board

#205LIVE

RIPPA

46 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The irony being that Neville walked out because he was asked to put over Enzo (though that was the straw that broke the camel's back)

Did they ever release Neville?  If he's still under contract, they might want to start kissing some ass.  I like the division as a whole, but I think a guy like Neville, Ricochet, or maybe even Cedric Alexander at the top of the division.  I think the entire division is going to rely on having a strong top face or heel.  

The whole idea of a Cruiserweight show when I can see Finn Balor and AJ Styles on the big shows in prominent roles seems like a colossal waste of time.  It also doesn't help when heavyweights can pull off the same flippy dives and work on a similar level as the cruiserweights.  205 Live currently seems like a home for Drew Gulak and a bunch of guys who aren't all that over.  They could be doing the same thing on the big show and stop wasting everyone's time.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Did they ever release Neville?  If he's still under contract, they might want to start kissing some ass.  I like the division as a whole, but I think a guy like Neville, Ricochet, or maybe even Cedric Alexander at the top of the division.  I think the entire division is going to rely on having a strong top face or heel.  

Nope - he is just sitting out his deal. I guess a couple of times there were rumors about him coming back but he was unhappy in the Austin Aries/Cody Rhodes way so I think he is done with the WWE

27 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I think the entire division is going to rely on having a strong top face or heel.  

Which is how they ended up with Enzo as a champion.  He sold merch and people responded to his act.  They needed someone to be a Honky Tonk champion for a year while trying to get everyone over.

50 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Nope - he is just sitting out his deal. I guess a couple of times there were rumors about him coming back but he was unhappy in the Austin Aries/Cody Rhodes way so I think he is done with the WWE

I thought with the totally fair way wwe structures their independent contractor deals that if said independent contractor isn't working their deal freezes. Would that not apply to Neville the same way it did Mysterio (or was he injured?)? 

2 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Who were they getting over, though? Kalisto? Hideo? Really the guy that's gotten over has been Gulak.

Everyone.  You go with a massive heel, Honky Tonk style, who everyone hates so that the faces draw sympathetic heat.

The argument can be made that Gulak would not be over if it was not for Enzo.  Gulak was the perfect straight man to Enzo's douchiness. 

The WWE put themselves in this mess by:

1.  Not showing any effort with the Cruisers thinking they could just run a tournament and everyone would be over.  That is a complete Full Sail Fail.

2.  Putting the belt on Enzo with all of his backstage antics.  Before Enzo got the belt he had massive backstage heat and was being buried every week in comedy acts.  There were rumors he was going to be cut then.

3.  Forcing the Cruisers to wrestle WWE style.

4.  Purple mood lighting.  It was like listening to an episode of Welcome to Night Vale.  They did a great job of emasculating the Cruisers when it should have been the other way around.

5.  At a time when house show business in in the dumps they decide to start new house show rather than partner with other shows until they are strong enough to stand on their own.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I thought with the totally fair way wwe structures their independent contractor deals that if said independent contractor isn't working their deal freezes. Would that not apply to Neville the same way it did Mysterio (or was he injured?)? 

Mysterio was because he was injured.

Vince was pissy because he was hurt so much so tacked on an extra year

3 hours ago, Goodear said:

The whole idea of a Cruiserweight show when I can see Finn Balor and AJ Styles on the big shows in prominent roles seems like a colossal waste of time.  It also doesn't help when heavyweights can pull off the same flippy dives and work on a similar level as the cruiserweights.  205 Live currently seems like a home for Drew Gulak and a bunch of guys who aren't all that over.  They could be doing the same thing on the big show and stop wasting everyone's time.

The issue is that those guys should be able to compete in both 205 and the main roster. By accepting talent like Neville, Kalisto, and Enzo, the former two who were terribly booked into losing all the time and the latter who was just terrible, they buried the division when guys in this division are just as talented if not more so than most people on the main roster. Cedric, Mustafa, and a few others should be able to compete with Elias, Jason Jordan, and Apollo and the Miz as well as compete in 205. The idea that what separates AJ Styles, Seth Rollins, and Cesaro from this division are 12,13, and 20 pounds and that is ridiculous. For fuck's sake, Finn Balor is a cruiserweight and they just  could as easily gotten him in division instead of Enzo while he was languishing in that pointless Bray Wyatt feud. It is a division, not a safe haven for jobbers. They should have handled 205 Live like NJPW handles their Jr Heavyweights. Dumping Enzo with the title when he was selling merch and consistently losing and getting his ass handed to him was burial. Especially when he started winning clean.  

They gave this show the fucking least to work with and all of the sudden it is the guy's in the divisions fault for not getting over yet the times when they did get to showcase on Raw with appropriate context and build, they stole the show. Even last night, they put on three solid matches and the main event garnered a this is awesome chant from a crowd that wants to be dead.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Goodear said:

The whole idea of a Cruiserweight show when I can see Finn Balor and AJ Styles on the big shows in prominent roles seems like a colossal waste of time.  It also doesn't help when heavyweights can pull off the same flippy dives and work on a similar level as the cruiserweights.

The WCW cruiserweight belt was officially 225 and under. (When WWF first brought in their Light heavy belt to compete with them, it was 215.) 

Bàlor is listed 190, AJ at 218, Rollins 217, Ambrose 225, Ziggler 218... That's a lot of guys who would've been in the cruiser ghetto in WCW who have been heavyweight champions. Which I think is better overall, but it sure does make the modern cruiser division seem worthless. In WCW it was something completely different, and though they were all stuck at the cruiser and tv belt level for years, at least they got time and got to stand out.

And like you said, you have guys like Cena breaking out the Code Red in main event level matches. 

It's why I really wish that they had signed guys like Zabre. He was doing something different than you get in WWE.

At least bring up Pete Dunne, he's fucking awesome and listed right at 205.

Interesting little nugget at the end of the new WON's story about Enzo

The original plan for 205 Live GM was supposed to be Summer Rae. In fact she was told about the plan a couple of weeks before being released. Then someone released "Wait - she is taller than the entire roster... that might not be a good look" and they changed their mind.

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The original plan for 205 Live GM was supposed to be Summer Rae. In fact she was told about the plan a couple of weeks before being released. Then someone released "Wait - she is taller than the entire roster... that might not be a good look" and they changed their mind.

Summer was someone who deserved a bigger role.  She wasn't great in the ring, but her character work was outstanding.  There is no reason whatsoever she isn't a heel valet for someone with poor mic skills.  My biggest bit of frustration with how the WWE does business is when they have talented people under contract who can fill a role that isn't being filled, and for whatever reason they choose to keep them around not doing shit.  Summer didn't fail, they failed to use her.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Odd, that didn't stop them from using Alicia

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

Is 205 Live always this dull? I watched last week - which admittedly had a good ME but took forever getting there. 

And this week's is even duller. 

Give it one more week to see if you like it. If not then maybe the show just isn't for you.