DVDVR Message Board

2016-17 NBA - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Hot take: if Embiid could average playing north of 30 minutes a game the Sixers would be a playoff team. He is that good. I can't wait to see what they look like when Simmons is able to play.

On 1/2/2017 at 1:01 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Dudes with skill sets like AD and The Greek Freak are just crazy, inhuman, shit we've never really seen before.  Westbrook is in that class too. Harden is ridiculous and in the perfect system, I don't want to seem like I'm slighting his athletic abilities. 

Of course, Barkley today said the NBA is the worst it's ever been so there's an alternative view.

He's insane if he believes that. Imagine Barkley trying to defend Anthony Davis and laugh.

18 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

He's insane if he believes that. Imagine Barkley trying to defend Anthony Davis and laugh.

That's fair but I'll say my 90's Knicks would put just about any of today's stars in the hospital. God do I miss Oak and Mase and the defense of death.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Course they would. They'd also foul out within 2 quarters and lose via DQ.

So you lose game 1 by DQ, but all of their players are in the hospital. That sounds like a 4-1 series win to me. :)

I get what Barkley is talking about. I don't agree with him, but I understand how some people don't like the dependance on the three point shot these days.

• Like 2

Could anyone today survive the "Jordan Rules"? Westbrook could for sure, definitely Lebron(physically, anyway). Not saying at all that should come back, but the style of play changes every ten years or so, so it's hard to say who would do well in different eras. Now I do wish the mid 90's style of D was still around to some degree though, because I feel like the league always tries to stifle defenses.

19 hours ago, sabremike said:

I just want Oak to walk into a Knicks practice and start tossing motherfuckers around until they actually agree to attempt defense.

Or imagine guys dealing with the physicality of those Bad Boys Pistons teams or Karl Malone throwing elbows. . . . 

Some good articles out there today about the Memphis Miracle.This one gets into the general fourth quarter. But then this article gets into the specifics of what happened near the end when KD decided to go into business for himself. That set Draymond off.

1) Say what you want about Draymond, and there's a lot to be said, but that dude wants to win every single game he plays. He also is one of the few dudes in the league willing to call out a superstar teammate even though he's not at that level.

2) The last article points out how Scott Brooks or Russ always took the head when OKC would start looking like they were playing in a swamp down the stretch. KD always managed to avoid any of that backlash but there were plenty of times when he called his own number, too.

3) I think I say this every other post. But the Grit'n'Grind Grizzlies should go down in history as one of the most beloved teams to never win it all. They won't because they're not flashy and lack star power and also play in Memphis. But they have such a weirdo Core Four -- a guy widely dismissed as Pau's brother, a PG nobody thought deserved his big contract that turned into the current best player to never make an All-Star team, a dude considered a legit knucklehead who has become a beloved community hero and an all-defense tough-ass. And all sorts of weirdo spare parts like 39-year-old Vince Carter/Hamad Hammadi/JaMychael Green over the years. If they can get anything from Chandler Parsons I could see them actually pulling a mammoth upset this year in the playoffs.

• Like 1

All the people saying that the 90s Knicks and Pistons would be able to defend current teams are taking one huge thing for granted.  The guys you are talking about wouldn't be able to stay on the court, because they couldn't defend on the perimeter.  I love Charles Oakley, but there is nothing he'd be able to do about Anthony Davis when he caught the ball behind the three-point line and put the ball on the floor.  Not only are the rules different, the skill set needed is different.  The defensive big men you guys are talking about, wouldn't be in the paint to hammer Steph Curry, because Kevin Durant and Draymond Green are standing 25 feet from the basket.  

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Pistons would put prime Dennis Rodman on Davis. He chased Jordan and Pip all over the court just fine.

Yeah, he'd be good at it.  Lambeer, Mahorn, Salley, and Edwards would be useless.  Anthony Davis is kind of a bad example, because you don't have to guard anyone else on his team. The point is that the vast majority of those teams couldn't guard the best current teams.  They just wouldn't have an answer for Durant, Giannis, LeBron, or anyone that size with that skill set.