DVDVR Message Board

2016-17 NBA - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

This too. To me some of the best players managed to make shitty teams overachieve. The Knicks with Melo have constantly underachieved unless he's NOT playing. Like Linsanity. Or even last night when he was benched in the 4th and they won. He just seems like a team chemistry killer to me. And maybe that's unfair. Maybe that's partly on shit office putting dumb pieces together and awful coaching. But you can look at these trade scenarios and no one wants to give up their core. They'll only take him for scrubs. Because if he disrupts things they can just sit his ass down and let the people who like playing together keep playing together.

That's part of why I cant figure out how the Knicks havent been able to convince the Clippers to be part of a three team deal with the Cavs. Love to the Knicks, Melo to the Clippers, and Cavs get there pick of a pg/sg that James wants.

49 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

That's part of why I cant figure out how the Knicks havent been able to convince the Clippers to be part of a three team deal with the Cavs. Love to the Knicks, Melo to the Clippers, and Cavs get there pick of a pg/sg that James wants.

Because the Cavs aren't trading Kevin Love.  Kevin Love is currently a better player than Carmelo Anthony by a decent margin.  He's averaging 22 pts. and 11 boards and is four years younger than Carmelo.  Kevin Love has been one of the best players in the Eastern Conference this year. 

Yeah, Cavs would get boned in that trade. I imagine the Cavs/Knicks talks were about them picking up a backup guards, and Phil Jackson was like "Yeah, but what about Melo?"  And the Cavs are like "sure, for Richard Jefferson." 

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Yeah, Cavs would get boned in that trade. I imagine the Cavs/Knicks talks were about them picking up a backup guards, and Phil Jackson was like "Yeah, but what about Melo?"  And the Cavs are like "sure, for Richard Jefferson." 

The crazy thing is that Kevin Love would be the worst possible player to get back in a Carmelo trade.  He plays the exact same position as the guy they want to build around.  I don't see how Love and Porzingus play together.  But, Knicks going to Knick.

10 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I mean, I guess they could put Porzingis at the five, Love at the four, and Noah can join the Justice League Antarctica...

Or they could just do that with Carmelo. 

The dumbest thing about this entire saga is that Carmelo is still their best player, is always professional, and isn't close to the biggest problem on the team.  Carmelo Anthony has been the only reason to watch the Knicks since Patrick Ewing left.  Porzingis is 7'3" and can't play center, that is somehow Carmelo's fault.  We know Carmelo can play power forward, because we've seen it before.  Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah aren't good any more, that is somehow Carmelo's fault.  The only player on the team that is anywhere close to dependable is Carmelo Anthony, but somehow he's the scapegoat.

Sure, they could but he's made it abundantly clear he doesn't want to play the four.

To your broader point though, in some ways he reminds me of Chris Webber, reputation wise. It became such a known "fact" that CWebb was the most overrated player in the NBA, it came all the way around to him actually being underrated.

2014 has an interesting timeline that plays a crazy role in Melo's career.

• June 23rd Melo opts out.
  • June 25th Lebron opts out.
  • July 11th Lebron's declares he's going to Cleveland
  • July 13th Melo re-signs with Knicks.

Riley said he didn't try to get in the Melo sweepstakes until he found out Lebron bailed, but by then it was too late and the deal with New York was done.

Makes for a wild what if scenario with Riley quickly reloading the Big Three with Anthony. 

Charles Oakley signed an autograph for me at LaGuardia. I told him as a Heat fan, I was required to hate him, but I still thought he was incredible.  He smiled and signed.  I am glad I didn't get punched. 

Also...

12 in a row~!

Today in lolKnicks: 

- James Dolan has fired the head of MSG Security for the Charles Oakley Affair.

- Charles Oakley has been banned for life from MSG, "even if he buys a ticket." 

tumblr_obc7w6ofIO1qa7n6ko1_250.png