DVDVR Message Board

The Saturday Night Live thread

ChesterCopperpot

what did everyone think of the show this past weekend?

Hart's monologue killed it, the Bushwood Corner Boys digital short and the Chocolate Droppa sketch were great. One of the best shows - if not the best of the season. Admittedly the bar isn't high

I loved Hart's monologue and the Bushwood Corner Boys short.  The other junk?  Eh.

Sia has a lovely voice but those performances were fucking bizarre.

Not like I know much about dance, but it seems like as far as that goes, that shit is pure kitsch.  It seems to be aiming at about the same level as when like an ice skater flops around to Schindler's list with a tear painted on her cheek.

I don't understand what has changed over the years to where no one actually looks at or interacts with each other and everyone just stares ahead at the cue cards.

More writers and less writer/performers, I imagine.

Leslie Jones needs to go. She simply isnt cut out for acting in sketches.

Hart was funny in everything and had great energy. I feel like Che and Jost are gelling into a solid team.

I'm sure she tries her best, but her delivery and act just doesn't come off well. The abrasive routine is very tiresome.

Hart was a lot better than last time around. When he seemingly nearly hyperventilated every skit, after not breathing correctly between lines. He was much more calm this go around. Not a single KO of a show, but it wasn't bad.

I thought Kevin Hart did a fantastic job. Funny monologue. Every time a standup hosts it's refreshing to watching them do standup as opposed to musical numbers.

There was much to like in this episode. Loved the Bieber ads (just Kate dressed as Bieber is enough to slay me), the gentrification sketch was well done, the rapper sketch at the end was a good kind of dumb. 

No interest from me to watch any of his movies but I'll make it a point to watch him anytime he hosts SNL.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/29/eddie-murphy-snl_n_6574362.html

The last time Eddie Murphy made an appearance on "Saturday Night Live" was Dec. 15, 1984. Thirty-one years later, it appears Murphy will finally return to the show that helped make him a star. In an interview with Roland Martin for NewsOne Now, Murphy said he'd appear on the forthcoming 40th anniversary special for "SNL" that NBC will air on Feb. 15.

"It just never worked out where the timing was right for me to do it," Murphy said when asked why he hadn't appeared on "SNL" in decades. "They're actually having a 40th anniversary, I think, in two weeks. I'm going to that, and that'll be the first time I've been back since I left."

A representative for NBC was not immediately available for comment.

Murphy's acrimonious history with the show dates back to a joke David Spade made about him on Weekend Update during the 1990s, when Murphy's career had hit a low point after "Vampire in Brooklyn." ("Look, children, a falling star.")

"[T]hey were shitty to me on 'Saturday Night Live' a couple of times after I'd left the show. They said some shitty things," Murphy said in an interview with Rolling Stone in 2011. "There was that David Spade sketch. I made a stink about it, it became part of the folklore. What really irritated me about it at the time was that it was a career shot. It was like, 'Hey, come on, man, it's one thing for you guys to do a joke about some movie of mine, but my career? I'm one of you guys. How many people have come off this show whose careers really are fucked up, and you guys are shitting on me?' And you know every joke has to go through all the producers, and ultimately, you know Lorne or whoever says, [Lorne Michaels voice] 'OK, it's OK to make this career crack.'"

Murphy added that he felt unhappy about that for years. "I wouldn't go to retrospectives, but I don't let it linger," he added. "I saw David Spade four years ago. Chris Rock was like, 'Do you guys still hate each other?' and I was like, 'I don't hate David Spade, I'm cool with him.'"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never knew about this SNL/Spade skit.

https://screen.yahoo.com/hollywood-minute-david-spades-puppet-000000656.html

I don't think it was THAT big of a deal, but it wasn't me they were poking fun at, so, there you have it.  I'm just glad Eddie's coming back.  So, what do you think he'll do?  Mr. Robinson?  Buckwheat?  Celebrity Hot Tub?  Gumby dammit?

I thought this week's show was pretty rough.  We didn't even bother with the last 30 minutes.  It seemed like all the sketches were like scrap heap/post-1230 stuff even from the start.  The writing always seems to run thin when they have shows back-to-back weeks.  I didn't think Simmons really was a "leading man" type either.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's the 40th Anniversary Special. I'm super excited. I've never been much of an SNL fan. I think a lot of that is due to my relatively young age (27), so I didn't grow up with SNL being a big cultural thing, especially as an "adult" (I use that term loosely). Still, the history major in me is well aware of its place in history and with so many folks returning to the show, especially Eddie Murphy, I'm pretty geeked about tonight.

Interesting. The first SNL skit I remember watching was the one right after the 2000 election where they decided both Bush and Gore would be President and they played the Odd Couple theme. I lol'd a bunch. My parents always spoke glowingly of SNL's early run but I never really watched it and neither did any of my friends. You'd figure if anything that being from NY I'd have been more inclined but nope.

Okay, so we opened the show with Fallon and Timberlake singing through every catchphrase in the show's history.

Now we're watching an extended clip show of every catchphrase in the show's history.

This must be what watching the 1st hour of Raw feels like.