DVDVR Message Board

The Saturday Night Live thread

ChesterCopperpot

Yeah that's such a bizarre take on things. Idiots and racist pieces of shit will always find things to justify their horrible opinions. The rest of us should still be able to enjoy a comedy bit without worrying what the fuckwads guarding Cliven Bundy's ranch think.

I think the biggest problem with it was that if you are going to do it it HAS to be fucking funny, but it was kind of amusing at best.  You can get away with a lot if the joke is good enough, that joke just wasn't good enough to clear itself from controversy. 

• Like 1

Wow I checked out her Twitter and shit is rough. Black people calling her a sellout to her race, white people being to told to check their privilege, and more butthurt than you can shake a stick at.

Race is such a bizarre subject in the US. We build it into a taboo where people are afraid to talk about it in a respectful manner. That just opens the door for racists and nuts to push their views even more. The rest of us are afraid we'll be labelled a racist or traitor to our race So we tip toe around shit.

I thought the bit was very funny and her delivery was fantastic. Seen many people suck under similar circumstances on SNL.

I liked the bit because I saw it less about race and slavery and more about her dealing with the fact that she's not a societally ideal beauty.  The slavery stuff came off as more absurdist to me.  The point was "Why does it have to be so hard for me to get a date?"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Laat night was pretty full of standbys and run-ins, but pretty good on the whole.

And I say without much fear of contradiction that McKinnon is the 2013-14 MVP and it isn't even close.

Laat night was pretty full of standbys and run-ins, but pretty good on the whole.

And I say without much fear of contradiction that McKinnon is the 2013-14 MVP and it isn't even close.

Fear and be contradicted.  It seems like she was the chosen one and was given all the best spots.  But the only one who made me laugh every time she was onscreen was Aidy Bryant.  And she was often given shtty background parts. 

Even in horrible formula sketches like the "BFF" show, she manages to rise way above the material.

When I watch episodes like last night, and pretty much any time a former cast member hosts, while I tend to enjoy them, I can't help but feel that SNL has pro wrestling problems. All of these episodes turn into these parades of other former cast members and their celebrity friends, which is great fun, but often does nothing to put over the newer cast members.

I mean, Samberg did TWO digital shorts and neither of them gave any kind of rub to Kyle Mooney and Beck Bennett, the guys who carry that segment now, and who, frankly, need all the help they can get.

• Like 1

God I hate that bit.  Any face licking, food spitting or whatever gross out thing that came out of the early 00's.  Having that pop up again last night was just annoying.

I kind of liked the Quasimodo sketch though.  It also had a 90s SNL premise vibe about it.

Weekend update continues to be awful. It's not the delivery.  It's the jokes.  They're just worse.

Jost is just so bland. I'd be tempted to call him the worst Update anchor of the last 25 years, but there was that brief period when they had Horatio Sanz subbing for Tina Fey.

HORATIO SANZ. For. TINA. FEY.

So which featured players return? I guess Noel Wells, Brooks Wheelan and John Milhiser say bye bye. Mooney and Zamata seem sure to stay. He has made a mark as the new "digital short" guy and she's been solid in the thankless role of "the media finally caught on to Keenan in a dress playing all black women so we had to hire someone". Jost is head writer so he isn't moving. Bennet and Mike O'brien could go either way. Bennet seems to get token everyman roles and they ran that babyman sketch twice so he is probably more likely to stick. O'brien performs like what he is, a writer.

Weekend update continues to be awful. It's not the delivery.  It's the jokes.  They're just worse.

The deliveryis driving me nuts. Maybe it's just me, but I feel everyone delivers there jokes just like Seth Myers. It's the same cadence over and over. I feel like literally anyone can go up there and do it if they can mimic that voice.

• Like 2

So which featured players return? I guess Noel Wells, Brooks Wheelan and John Milhiser say bye bye. Mooney and Zamata seem sure to stay. He has made a mark as the new "digital short" guy and she's been solid in the thankless role of "the media finally caught on to Keenan in a dress playing all black women so we had to hire someone". Jost is head writer so he isn't moving. Bennet and Mike O'brien could go either way. Bennet seems to get token everyman roles and they ran that babyman sketch twice so he is probably more likely to stick. O'brien performs like what he is, a writer.

I think you're right about Milheiser and Wheelan, I'd throw O'Brien in there as well but I can see him staying on as a writer. I think Bennett has a long tenure ahead of him, I see him as Taran Killam's successor. Wells and Zamata I could see going either way, the female cast is pretty deep at the moment. Kyle Mooney definitely has job security, his digital shorts have been a highlight of the season. I wish they'd can Pedrad already.

• 3 weeks later...

AV Club is reporting that Nasim Pedrad will probably not be back next season.  Which sucks, because now they need to find some other girl with giant hooters to play Khloe Kardashian.

I love Pedrad. I feel like she had a kind of female Fred Armissen thing going.

My favorite stuff from last season was "What Are You Even Doing You're Being Crazy" because she and Dunham were so pitch perfect it legit hurt to watch(in a good way) and her bringing the ONLY laughs in the Charlize Theron episode with her self-help whatever stuff. I also liked Shallon vs. Seth Rogen.

I'd say she was one of my favorites on the show, after Hader left. Really most of the women are incredibly strong with this cast. they could probably dump nearly all the dudes and it would still be fine.

• 1 month later...