DVDVR Message Board

The Saturday Night Live thread

ChesterCopperpot

Michael McKean, Chris Elliott, Janeane Garafalo, Billy Crystal, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer and Martin Short are other examples off the top of my head of people with established comedic voices who then joined SNL.

It's a bit hit or miss, success-wise. Typically doesn't work out that well.

• 1 month later...

That's bananas. 

Oddly enough, before I went to sleep I was thinking about the movie voice guy and how when he left, trailer vo's kind of disappeared. I thought, maybe it's because that guy was so iconic at his job, that why bother, you know?

I feel like that's how Pardo is. Someone else saying the names would just sound so weird.

• 3 weeks later...

Press release I read said Che was a writer last season & he & Jost are really close.   I liked Strong on there better than Jost but he did seem to loosen up a bit by the end.  At least they realized they needed to make some changes.

No new cast has been announced but they removed Milhiser, Wells, Pedrad & Wheelan from the site.  I would assume they announce the cast next week?

So the new formula for weekend update is:

Tell a couple of our writers to go out and do five minutes of their standup routine.

On the bright side, though.  That was basically Leslie Jones letting us know that within a few months she is going to be fucking massive.

Weekend Update was drastically improved. Michael Che and Leslie Jones knocked it out of the park. The set & graphics change was a much needed change too in order to make a clean break from the Seth Myers era. Colin Jost was perfectly fine next to Che as well. Glad to see the return of Cecily's "girl at the party" character, one of the few recurring characters they have had in recent years that is both funny and not annoying.