DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

I think WCCW circa 86-87?

---- 

Wiki to the rescue 

Samu and Fatu next appeared in Texas, working for Fritz Von Erich’s World Class Championship Wrestling promotion. The storyline was that Buddy Roberts brought the team in to fight his fights against the Von Erich Family and former Fabulous Freebirdspartner Michael Hayes. The team was presented as an unstoppable force, and even allowed to beat hometown heroes Kerry andKevin Von Erich for the WCCW Tag-Team Titles on August 12, 1988.[2] The Samoans remained undefeated in WCCW until they came up against Roberts’ former partner Michael Hayes and Hayes new partner, "Do It To It" Steve Cox on September 12

51 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

I think Buddy brought them in as mercenaries to assault Michael Hayes after the Freebird breakup angle in 1988 World Class.

Yep.  And Hayes responded by tagging with Steve "Do it to it" Cox to battle over the tag titles.  I love that nickname so much yet I swear I couldn't pick Steve Cox out of a line-up.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

Ok, who could they get to be buddy jack roberts for the usos?

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Hayes? 

Michael PS Hayes managing a younger team, dressing up like they do?

hardyboyzhayes.jpg

Perhaps not.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Peck said:

Sorta wrestling-related.. apparently this is a thing:

Csc_Rk_Zu_VMAA0_WMW_jpg_large.jpg

I am a quasi-beer snob and normally wouldn't think of drinking this brand.

But fuck it it's wrestling and I would so buy a 6-pack of this.  Too bad we likely won't get this in the States but if we do that'd be amazing.

9 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

I think Buddy brought them in as mercenaries to assault Michael Hayes after the Freebird breakup angle in 1988 World Class.

I loved that the young Samoans were killing fools and using don't worry be happy as theme music 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AxB said:

ILDnlmX.png

So, did Trips get smaller when he went to WCW, or did he briefly tag with Saturn between leaving WCW and joining the WWF?

That picture's from 1992 or 1993.  Triple H and Saturn trained together at Killer Kowalski's school and were tag team champs in Kowalski's IWF (International Wrestling Federation)

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Nobody looks good dressed like that.

I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find an example to the contrary, the late 90s/early 00s were full of people wearing this.  But I imagine I'd go down a weird rabbit hole on a work computer that I'd rather not venture to right now.

But that last pic Vader Does my Taxes posted more than validates my initial point about Hayes.  It's like he went back to school and that's his school photo.  All that's missing are lasers in the background to complete the effect.

I remember that this was around the time I discovered Hayes was younger or the same age as guys like Luger, Sting, Hall and Nash. I thought for sure he was older than dirt at that point b/c it seemed like he had been around forever and those guys just seemed more youthful and current than he did.

• Like 1