DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

I think when you spend so much time developing something in this case's Jon's parentage and such, there needs to be some sort of payoff. If you're swerving just to swerve, not good. The payoff doesn't have to send everyone home happy. I agree that Ice refers to Walkers and Fire refers to Dragons. Snow doesn't need to make it through this. But he should probably make it far enough to where we start to get some payoffs to the mysteries surrounding him.

I thought this episode was the drizzling shits except for "I want some mutton" line from Davos.

I'm trying pretty hard to not let "I read books, I'm a cool guy" influence my opinion on the show also. Like really hard. But they killed Doran, motherfucking Doran yo!

He never go to say all his amazing quotes!

“I am not blind, nor deaf. I know that you all believe me weak, frightened, feeble. Your father knew me better. Oberyn was ever the viper. Deadly, dangerous, unpredictable. No man dared tread on him. I was the grass. Pleasant, complaisant, sweet-smelling, swaying with every breeze. Who fears to walk upon the grass? But it is the grass that hides the viper from his enemies and shelters him until he strikes. Your father and I worked more closely than you know … but now he is gone. The question is, can I trust his daughters to serve me in his place?"

"Vengeance." His voice was soft, as if he were afraid that someone might be listening. "Justice." Prince Doran pressed the onyx dragon into her palm with his swollen, gouty fingers, and whispered, "Fire and blood."

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, EVA said:

The White Walkers would've conquered the world before any of Doran's schemes came to fruition.

Yeah, that's sort of the problem right? Doran's scheming might play some major role in the books, but it hasn't happened yet and might never happen. 

George can say seven books, just like he said 3 before or 5 or however many, but it's becoming harder and harder to believe he will ever finish.  

HBO doesn't have that luxury.  Not only will they finish the story, they will do it in the next few years at 10 hours a year.

Maybe they killed a really cool side character who could maybe be important in an unfinished book. Or maybe Doran's going out soon like Stannis and George tipped them off.  We truly don't know what's his and what's not at this point.

We do know that the story doesn't end in Dorne.  We do know that HBO is focusing on the end.  We can speculate that George is doing the same, but who the fuck really knows what he is up to.  

We should be well beyond worrying about departures from the books at this point. If you want the books then stop watching now and continue waiting til the end time!  

• Like 1

Davos' wife has never been seen and not been referenced since Season 3 Episode 1, when he is trying to get his old buddy Sallador Saan to take him back to Stannis and Melisandre (instead of said wife).  Saan expects Davos will get executed by Stannis and/or Mel and morbidly promises to take the rest of Davos' bones back to his wife (referencing the bag of bones from his cut-off fingers that he wore like an amulet until they were lost at sea during that battle at the end of Season 2).

She (and Saan, for that matter) will probably not be mentioned/seen again.

• Like 1

It's been a small issue from the start but for the most part they've done a great job of handling most of the main story lines and characters. Even with ten hours per season it's not enough time to do everything that's in the books or handle each side character with 100% of the respect that they deserve... it's just impossible. The show would take 20 seasons to complete and it'd never make it there because like it or not there has to be action and "cool shit" going on in between the dialogue. They have to worry about general audiences. They have to try to please everyone.

I reread my post I think I struggled to get my point across because I got lost in Doran quotes.

I just thought this was an hour of mediocre tv. I was discussing this episode with a non book reader friend and we had the same opinion that the only good stuff was The Wall stuff.

The Sansa-Theon-Brienne-Pod scene was good in paper but the execution was pretty fumbled, he just casually ran 10 meters in the pursuers direction and tried to lie?! The Dothraki comedian escapades were dumb and served no purpose. Dorne was Dorne and had weird chronological/teleporting issues with the Sand Snakes. 

All of these things were either flat or just plain bad. If not for Ian McShane my interest on the show would be pretty much null.

I really liked the Sansa/Brienne stuff.  Highlight was Pod helping Sansa with the words. The Wall stuff was the best, but I imagine that is going to be a season long trend.  

I thought the Daenary's scenes were sort of meh all the way around, but when Drogon shows up and she cuts that Khal's hair off it's going to be lit.

12 hours ago, Jrag said:

HBO doesn't have that luxury.  Not only will they finish the story, they will do it in the next few years at 10 hours a year.

From what I've read, they'll do it in ten hours this year, seven hours next year, and six hours the year after. So they have some serious storytelling to condense.

I liked the ep but there was some awful writing. The Sand Snakes stuff is embarrassing and cheesy, and as someone mentioned, the Spanish Inquisition skit from the Dothraki was horrible.

3 hours ago, MarcosLoura said:

I reread my post I think I struggled to get my point across because I got lost in Doran quotes.

Those were actually really helpful in understanding the reaction of people I was watching with.  I was with a 50/50 or so mix of book readers to not and the book readers absolutely FREAKED OUT over what happened to Doran - where the rest of us were basically struggling to remember who he was and baffled why they were reacting that way.

4 minutes ago, CSC said:

Those were actually really helpful in understanding the reaction of people I was watching with.  I was with a 50/50 or so mix of book readers to not and the book readers absolutely FREAKED OUT over what happened to Doran - where the rest of us were basically struggling to remember who he was and baffled why they were reacting that way.

In the books the introduction of the Dornish is kind of controversial.  A lot of people really thought their entire plot was unneeded and peripheral, but I for one actually think it was moving somewhere interesting.  From season/book two there has been a empty seat on the small council for Doran, for a bit Oberyn sat in that seat in his stead, but for the most part it has been an unplayed chess piece.  First thing you have to realize is that just about everything that happened in Dorne on the show is completely and totally different than the books.  All of those people are still alive including Myrcella.  Doran has a son named Quentin who is going to seek out Dany, and a daugher named Arianne who is plotting with the Sand Snakes and a member of The King's Guard.  After their plan goes bad, Doran imprisons Arianne and the Sand Snakes before pulling them all to the side and telling them about the plot him and Oberyn have been working on since his sister Elia died.  Afterwards, Doran sends his daughter and the Sand Snakes out to infiltrate almost every aspect of society.  There is one in Oldtown with the Maesters, one in the church of the seven, a couple with a guy who I won't talk about because the show most likely won't cover, and Nymeria Sand take his council seat.  The Dornish were going to be integral to Sam's plot, the high septon's plot, the politics of court, and Dany's plot.  It is a huge departure that none of those things will be happening.  Oh, and Areo Hotah, the big black body guard, was a bad ass in the books.  

I enjoyed the difference in cultural flavor of the Dorne content.   All of the stuff going on in the North and in King's Landing just reminded me of my pet peeve about Eurorpean medieval feudalism always being the real life parallel to fantasy settings.

19 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I enjoyed the difference in cultural flavor of the Dorne content.   All of the stuff going on in the North and in King's Landing just reminded me of my pet peeve about Eurorpean medieval feudalism always being the real life parallel to fantasy settings.

The crazy thing is that it is always the most bland representation of that time too.  Why the hell are authors so interested in dark ages England and France when we could be talking about the Moorish occupation of Spain or any of the other shit going on at that time.  Fantasy, where dwarves and elves exist, but black people don't.  

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The crazy thing is that it is always the most bland representation of that time too.  Why the hell are authors so interested in dark ages England and France when we could be talking about the Moorish occupation of Spain or any of the other shit going on at that time.  Fantasy, where dwarves and elves exist, but black people don't.  

You are preaching to the choir, bro.  Don't get me started on Belit and the Black Corsairs.

From the looks of most sci-fi, we don't have that much better of a track record in outer space either.

Well, we kinda sorta have the Black Martians from the John Carter books, I guess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

You are preaching to the choir, bro.  Don't get me started on Belit and the Black Corsairs.

From the looks of most sci-fi, we don't have that much better of a track record in outer space either.

Well, we kinda sorta have the Black Martians from the John Carter books, I guess.

Not a fan of Red Dwarf, then?

• Like 1

The big problem for Dany is she keeps getting further away from the story. She's just spinning her wheels further and further away from everything else that matters, and it's obvious that GRRM got her in position for the end game like 3 or 4 books too early as compared to everyone else.