DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

30 minutes ago, Craig H said:

BTW, Ser Davos is approaching all time great status. Based on lack of usage, he's already surpassed Bronn. He's getting into Tyrion's territory now for how awesome he is.

Something else that was awesome was Pod the Bod killing someone. Kid's come a long way.

If Pod or Davos die, we riot!

See?  I am not so attached to Jon that I think the story is broken without him, but I am sure I will set my television on fire if anything happens to Bronn, Davos, Pod, Arya, or Brienne.

Davos is in an interesting place right now, because, for the first time in this whole story, he's 100% his own man.  He's free to act on his own conscience without having to yield or compromise out of loyalty to Stannis.

It's not really clear at this point why he, or anyone in that room, is prepared to die just to hold on to Jon's body, though.  Nor why Thorne & Co. are so anxious to get it, either.  None of them know resurrection is a possibility.

11 minutes ago, EVA said:

Davos is in an interesting place right now, because, for the first time in this whole story, he's 100% his own man.  He's free to act on his own conscience without having to yield or compromise out of loyalty to Stannis.

It's not really clear at this point why he, or anyone in that room, is prepared to die just to hold on to Jon's body, though.  Nor why Thorne & Co. are so anxious to get it, either.  None of them know resurrection is a possibility.

bad writing?

Although, the is the argument that Thorne and co want to burn the body, as they've been doing to avoid them popping up as Walkers.  

But that's doesn't explain why Team Snow is defending it, outside that they know Team Thorne is gonna kill them just because.

You guys just aren't going to buy the necrophilia thing, are you?

Ha! I've come up with something too dark for GoT!!! That ought to be worth something.

3 minutes ago, EVA said:

Yeah, I think the biggest issue with D&D's writing seems to be a complete lack of logic when it comes to little details like that.  The only person at the wall who should believe that resurrection is possible is Melissandre, because she actually witnessed it.  Everyone else should be trying to burn his body so he doesn't come back as a wight.  

I don't understand why they even bothered with the Dorne storyline, because nothing they did seems to have added anything to the story.  Myrcella was on camera for essentially two minutes the entire series before she died.  Doran, the Sand Snakes, Areo Hotah, and even Jaime and Bronn just wasted an entire season to do nothing of note.

I think Davos in the room simply because

1. He found the body.

2. He understands the Jon loyalists are dead if he doesn't help and he feels obligated to them simply because he, and Stannis, recognized Jon as an honorable man.

3. He is not sure what happened and doesn't feel safe at castle black.

4. It's really cold outside.

Sometimes you just gotta recognize an angle is going nowhere and just feed everyone involved to the meat grinder to salvage something out of it.

Kill off everyone in Dorne and just pretend it didn't happen.  It's the North and beyond that matters most, anyway.

• Like 1

The Dorne stuff doesn't really bother me because the core plot set up is "invading army from the south."  We are going to get that one way or another and all these minor or major changes won't change that.

As soon as they decided not to introduce a certain character, you could tell the Dorne related stuff was going to be streamlined.

6 minutes ago, Jrag said:

I think Davos in the room simply because

1. He found the body.

2. He understands the Jon loyalists are dead if he doesn't help and he feels obligated to them simply because he, and Stannis, recognized Jon as an honorable man.

3. It's really cold outside.

Davos and the crew waiting for the Wildling army to return.  They probably want to keep the corpse to show that the Watch murdered John, which will go a long way in convincing the Wildlings to side with them.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, EVA said:

He might assume the worst, but at this point he is still a Stannis loyalist. I'm sure news of the defeat at winterfell will spread quickly, but I don't think he is aware just yet.

That's another reason he might be in the room.  Stannis and Jon were allies.

4 minutes ago, Jrag said:

He might assume the worst, but at this point he is still a Stannis loyalist. I'm sure news of the defeat at winterfell will spread quickly, but I don't think he is aware just yet.

Davos definitely knows.  He knew when Melisandre returned alone.

The Dorne stuff annoys me because it will preoccupy King's Landing with the politics of revenge. 

Interludes in the South are going to be hard for me to watch because I don't think I can sit through anything where Cersei ends up triumphant and I really don't give a shit about what happens to Margery.

The Torneo Cibernetico of Kingslayer / Bronn / Big Mountain Zombie vs. Sand Snakes will end poorly for Dorne.

I CHOOSE VIOLENCE~!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OSJ said:

You underestimate the influence of a bad pussy on a man like Bronn.

Fool me once, shame on you. 

Bronn will learn from his first encounter with the Snakes.  Too bad for them.

• Like 1

I understand Davos siding with Team Snow because he's always been a man of honor and I can see where he'd take a stand against the dishonorable people who killed him. The part I didn't like was his suggestion of using Melisandre. He basically spent four seasons trying to talk Stannis into dumping her/trying to win the war on his own then last night he's all for the nuclear option.

I mean the child burning alone makes it hard for me to see him accepting her help. Or, wait, does he not know about that?

Shireen's immolation is the proverbial Hitchcock's time bomb hidden from two men talking baseball nearby but lying in plane sight of the audience.

I don't think that Davos is aware of what happened to Shireen but we are.

The collective screams last night of DON'T FUCKING DO IT, DAVOS~! were coming from the home audience.

They didn't show it very well, but I think part of Melisandre's current state is not just that she was wrong and picked the wrong king, but the horrible shit she caused along the way. Jon Snow was always right there and yet she kept having Stannis do the most insane shit in pursuit of fulfilling a prophecy, including murdering his own daughter. I'm guessing more than feeling that she was wrong, she's full of regret for what she caused. I certainly don't think she's 100% evil, but just very misguided and reality came and knocked her on her ass.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pipGofern said:

I understand Davos siding with Team Snow because he's always been a man of honor and I can see where he'd take a stand against the dishonorable people who killed him. The part I didn't like was his suggestion of using Melisandre. He basically spent four seasons trying to talk Stannis into dumping her/trying to win the war on his own then last night he's all for the nuclear option.

I mean the child burning alone makes it hard for me to see him accepting her help. Or, wait, does he not know about that?

I think the show has done a disservice to Melissandre.  She is a priest of a faith you don't follow, she isn't someone you necessarily agree with, but in a time of trouble she'd be someone you might ask for advice if no one from your particular faith was around.  She's been too evil on the show, and I don't think that part comes across well.  In the books her and Davos don't see eye to eye a lot, but eventually they seem to respect each other.  Melissandre's relationship with Davos is kind of equal of two vice presidents of a company who don't really get along.  When the boss is out and a decision needs to be made, despite their differences they will work together.  All of this is kind of hard to compare to the books, because Shireen is alive and Davos is nowhere close to The Wall during this entire thing.  

• Like 1

I was trying to keep the novels and television show separate.  

Yes Melisandre is more feared in the books because of her "heretical" faith and the actual magic her god grants her rather than her being genuinely evil, but let's not try to cross pollinate and discuss Melisandre as she appears on the show.

Dare I say it, but the reasons men "respect" Melisandre in the novels is purely sexist.   She is hated and feared by most men because of her influence on powerful men and because of the strength that her magic gives her..  She is not that lady to step to.