DVDVR Message Board

The best/worst finishers past and present?

On 9/16/2016 at 1:11 PM, J.T. said:

Sting didn't do a lot of leg work or lower back work to set up the Scorpion. 

He used a lot of high impact though, so the general idea was that Sting's offense just took a physical toll on you until he just mercy killed you with the Scorpion.

Same principle as Ricky Steamboat killing you with science and cardio.  Nothing he did really set up the High Cross Bodyblock directly, but his arsenal of holds wore you down and made you susceptible to one last high impact move and you were too tired and too hurt to kick out.

It is pretty remarkable how Sting's offense really hasn't changed all that much since his heel days in UWF.  He's made you accept that he is a face that mostly brawls like a heel by sheer force of overwheling positive charisma alone.

Dusty touched on this during his commentary in the Flair/Windham Worldwide match. He said something like, "you break down one part of a man, then you break down another part and then another and then you got him all the way broken down and go for your finish b/c he can't block it." I thought that was pretty good analysis and shows you don't have to work just one specific body part to get a win.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Bumping this up for a talking point.

You need to balance between finishers for how many it takes. If you don’t kickout of one when it tends to take two, that wrestler looks bad. However it restablishes the move again as a one and done. I’m thinking recently of Brock Lesnar’s F5 on Samoa Joe at WWE Great Balls of Fire 2017.

The opposite is a finisher hit numerous times and it’s kicked out twice or more, it’s overkill and doesn’t protect the move as once it was. I’m thinking to Tetsuya Naito’s Destino such as against Kenny Omega in the G1 Climax 27 final, too much in it.

It’s a fine line between the two judging it right, it goes back before this year too.

It's probably the second biggest NJPW show of the year, it's fine to do that in a main event, I'd be more concerned about the 19 finisher level moves they also kicked out of before those.

I'd tend to say that's true. It's very common to see a guy kick out of a finisher or two, despite being "done". So it's not that the finishers are being blown off, it just puts over the loser's ~fighting spirit~, since he's willing to keep fighting in the face of certain defeat. The Omega/Naito match actually does this, since you know Kenny is finished, and the final Destino is just a formality. 

The other thing to note with Naito and Okada is they essentially have counter/flash versions of their finisher, and then the full on wrist-clutch version--the latter being more effective. 

You'll also see the rare big match finisher (which is usually one and done), and an accumulation of strikes used to end things. Misawa did both. If the standard Tiger Driver didn't work, he could go to the '91, the Emerald Frosion, or he could just elbow you into oblivion.

(The kicking out at one phenomenon is slightly related, I think, in that the person doing it almost always loses; they're selling while demonstrating one last desperate surge of energy that, once expended, will leave them empty.)

Watching the Mae Young Classic, I remembered how much I like the full nelson slam as a finisher.  It is simple, but always looks impactful.  I've always thought someone should kind of do a full nelson/uranage where they swing the guy out and fall with them like a rock bottom.  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I’m going to bump this because of the horrible finisher Ilya Dragunov uses in WXW called the Torpedo Moscow.  It’s a running, leaping head butt.  For as much punishment as he takes/dishes out in his matches, it’s incredibly bad, imo.  

22 hours ago, iowanole said:

I’m going to bump this because of the horrible finisher Ilya Dragunov uses in WXW called the Torpedo Moscow.  It’s a running, leaping head butt.  For as much punishment as he takes/dishes out in his matches, it’s incredibly bad, imo.  

To me, it is one of those ones that suffers by comparison to other finishers. Realistically, a 200lb guy jumping at you and hitting you in the chest would put you down for a while.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Liam said:

To me, it is one of those ones that suffers by comparison to other finishers. Realistically, a 200lb guy jumping at you and hitting you in the chest would put you down for a while.

And maybe that's it.  But if I have to pause or rewind something to try and figure out what just happened/why it would be a finisher, then it's not a good finisher, imo.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Worst:

Fuckin' handstand cutter.

Shit yeah, this.  Is it a cool spot for a cruiserweight to whip out once in a while?  Yes.  Is it an acceptable finisher?  Hell no.  Time just stands still as the recipient stands there, ostensibly stunned, waiting for it.

I hate any kind of "signature defensive spot."  Like Trish's "Stratusphere" move.  You'd have women who never did any flying moves suddenly get the urge to climb the buckles when they were wrestling Trish.  So dumb.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That fucking springboard cutter that Cena and Ospreay do are just as awful as the Lethal Injection, Jay's has just a slightly fruitier embellishment (TM whoever came up with that term)

Yep, and with the same criticism as Lethal's version.  It's over-complicated and time just stands still as his opponent stands in the ring waiting for it to happen.  I mean look at this stupid shit:

At least the guy's athletic enough to do it. When Cena did it, it was generally botched to all Hell every time.

• Like 1