DVDVR Message Board

The best/worst finishers past and present?

On 7/4/2016 at 0:12 PM, supremebve said:

To bring this back to a previous comment.  Big E should change his finisher to a slingshot jackhammer. 

Dude, that is seriously indietastic, but to see Big E do it would be marvelous.

Aw man did I forget the Dominator?! That's right up there with Arn's Spinebuster as the most devastating looking thing ever. And to think of it -- Big E in Japan doing a Slingshot Brainbuster... Yeah I think we like to think about people doing cool moves without thinking about the potential brain injury sometimes.

10 hours ago, ChuckBrown said:

I hate the Spear and Superman Punch.

"Hey, I just nailed you with a  Razor's Edge Liger Bomb and barely got a two count out of it.  So I'm gonna jump in the air and punch you in the face, then jump in the air again and drive my shoulder into your tummy.  That'll knock you out."

MMA matches have ended on KOs from Superman Punches. Not many of them, they generally don't land cleanly or do little damage, but they have KO'ed people, But Reigns' version looks rubbish because he jumps past his opponent and punches across his body, so there's no weight behind his fist when it connects.

Spears depend entirely on the size and speed of the person doing them. Reigns' Spear isn't as good as Goldberg's, but is better than Edge's. It'd be fine if it was the set-up to something powerbomby, rather than the finish itself.

I mentioned it in another thread, but Moose has the worst spear I've ever seen, which is ironic because the guy played pro football.  But he barely touches his opponent and then he himself does a forward flip when he hits it.  Indyriffic in all the wrong ways.  Look at this gentle, non-hurty shit.  He essentially doing a running cannonball into nothing while he glances his opponent, who bumps as best he can:

On the positive front, I love Kenny Omega's One Winged Angel, which is indyriffic in all the right ways.  Similarly, I like Pentagon Jr.'s pumphandle driver though it's not a finish.  Both moves look like they could Droz the person taking it if they're even slightly off.

Yeah, that's like Lashley's spear with the roll-through afterwards, only at least Lashley goes in with his shoulder. That's more a belly clothesline.

• Like 2

Looks more like some weird flying lariat to the solar plexus than a proper spear. To be honest, the flipping bullshit is just enough smoke and mirrors to conceal how little the spear connects. I'd say just the combination of him being bigger than a gangly dude like Edge and the flip makes it look slightly more impactful than Edge's disgrace. It still sucks though. His fireman's carry buster sidewalk slam doesn't look much better either. 

Maybe he's got a history of a bad neck or wants to avoid such a thing, most true spears would lead to that. Ask Rhino and Edge and others.

23 minutes ago, Ryan said:

The lack of response here means everyone loves the Dark Matter of Codydust.

I hate any move where the guy giving the move hits the mat with more impact than the guy taking it.  If you jump in the air and land on your back while a 200+ pound man falls on top of you, I don't care if he hits his head or not, you are going to take the worst of it.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

The lack of response here means everyone loves the Dark Matter of Codydust.

I'm not going to re-read the thread, but I think a couple other people have mentioned the flatliner/downward spiral as an overused and shitty looking move.

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

Has anyone brought up Hiroshi Hase's Uranage?  That is a bad ass finisher that was also beautiful to look at.  

Scott Keith would repeatedly insist that this:

uranage-o.gif

and this:

rock-bottom-2.gif?acfcde

Were the same move. While recognising the Diamond Cutter and Stone Cold Stunner as two different ones.

Because he was a twat.

• Like 1

Uranage being a legit throw while the Rock's is just a glorified sidewalk slam, they're obvious the same. Not every uranage ended up murdering guys quite like it does to Kawada though. Since the Uranage is basically just a weird back throw judo technique. Most done in pro wrestling are glorified turning rock bottom bumps to be fair. Naito has used it randomly in modern matches. They mostly looked like this one.

Edit:

original.gif?1436110612

On 07/07/2016 at 2:44 PM, supremebve said:

I hate any move where the guy giving the move hits the mat with more impact than the guy taking it.  If you jump in the air and land on your back while a 200+ pound man falls on top of you, I don't care if he hits his head or not, you are going to take the worst of it.  

On 07/07/2016 at 6:00 PM, supremebve said:

Has anyone brought up Hiroshi Hase's Uranage?  That is a bad ass finisher that was also beautiful to look at.  

Fully endorsed!

Drew McIntyre's double underhook ddt always looked stupid. Any move where you wind up under your opponent in the missionary position is questionable at best.

I think the Dominator is good in theory, but in practice the guy taking it usually winds up taking it on his knees/feet, which makes it look like a much lighter-impact move than it's supposed to be.

And I fully buy a punch or a running tackle as being enough to put a guy out for three seconds - the problem with them is that they work best in a milieu where they aren't hit every match.

They need to sell the eye-poke like their head exploded and take a huge bump onto their neck for it, that'll get it over.

14 minutes ago, Ryan said:

They need to sell the eye-poke like their head exploded and take a huge bump onto their neck for it, that'll get it over.

Call Lex Luger.  i still dig that sequence where he sells Muta's mist like it was a shotgun blast to the face.

• Like 2