DVDVR Message Board

The best/worst finishers past and present?

One of the worst has to be Road Dogg's pump handle drop. It just looked like he wasn't strong enough to do the pump handle slam. Pretending to cornhole his opponent after setting it up didn't help. 

I dislike Miz's Skull Crushing Finale because it always looks slow, low-impact and the guy has to stand there waiting for it to happen.  What's especially galling is Miz has that REALLY good DDT he does when his opponent is on his knees and would 100% be a better finisher.

I dislike the Styles Clash because it is too dangerous a move for so little impact, really.  Witness Styles bonking Cena's head on the canvas trying to lift him up this past Monday, or that horrible one on Yoshi Tatsu.  The Neutralizer is similar except not dangerous, just kinda silly looking that a guy with such a great arsenal ends matches with a pancake.

Agree on Del Rio's move although it has an impressive impact, it should be a move that comes up from time to time as a counter, not as an every-match finished.

I'm torn on the Lethal Injection.  When he hits it quickly, it can look pretty crisp.  But, again, it shouldn't be an everymatch move, just a once in a while big move.  I actually dislike his repeated suicide dives much more than the Lethal Injection.

You know what's a good solid WWE finisher, The Brogue Kick.  It always looks good.  Always. I'm not a huge Sheamus guy, but the Brogue Kick is just perfect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sammo~! said:

Shout outs to the Steiner Screwdriver too, which is one of those instant death moves

Speaking of instant death moves, people lose their shit over the Burning Hammer. So there's that.

The Screwdriver is my favorite impact move of all time, so brutal. Also, is my brain hella weird, or was it also called the Square Driver? That's what registers in my head when I think about it, but I don't know if it was ever actually referred to that way.

I think the Texas Cloverleaf is my favorite submission finish, easy to apply and it looks super painful.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Not finishers per se, but I can't stand "signature counters" because they're just too business exposing in their need for obvious cooperation.  For example, women who never ever did top rope moves would suddenly think they're Superfly Snuka against Trish Stratus so she could do the Stratusphere.  Ditto Samoa Joe's corner Uranage.  See also: You Can't Powerbomb Kidman!

I always couldn't stand Joe's powerbomb into pin into boston crab. So contrived.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Liam said:

I always couldn't stand Joe's powerbomb into pin into boston crab. So contrived.

LOL I was going to mention that as well but felt I would be picking on Joe too much!  It's actually worse than you said:

Powerbomb-->pin-->kick out-->Boston Crab-->opponent breaks hold slightly-->STF or crossface

Seriously, just scout your opponent and figure out a combo breaker.

Same goes for any contrived signature combo, like AJ Styles' drop down, leapfrog, dropkick.  For fuck's sake, you know it's coming!

7 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Can I toss out a tag team finish I can't stand? 

That lackadaisical attempt at a tag team finish by Enzo and Cass... 

I love it!  It's just an old-fashioned Rocket Launcher with a spike.

1 minute ago, caley said:

I love it!  It's just an old-fashioned Rocket Launcher with a spike.

My problem is that they usually screw up the spike part, and it looks like crap. The finish would be better if they switched it to the Rocket Launcher.

• Like 1

I thought they nailed it pretty good on Monday.

Regardless, it has to be better than the Vaudevillains doing an uppercut/neckbreaker combo.  That said, I love the "Dukes up" double-punch by them, but I would not accept is as a finisher.

Also, is it me, or is 'The Magic Killer' kind of a silly finisher?  Like it's not that impressive for a move that put John Cena down and the one guy in the move does almost nothing.

4 minutes ago, caley said:

Also, is it me, or is 'The Magic Killer' kind of a silly finisher?  Like it's not that impressive for a move that put John Cena down and the one guy in the move does almost nothing.

Seriously, when you're using the same finish as La Resistance, maybe it's time to rethink things.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, (BP) said:

One of the worst has to be Road Dogg's pump handle drop. It just looked like he wasn't strong enough to do the pump handle slam. Pretending to cornhole his opponent after setting it up didn't help. 

Conversely, I loved Wrath's pump-handle powerslam.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Bryan Clarke was a waste of ability. 

That, and his sole connection to fans was throwing out a mini-Nerf Vortex like he was some negligent father who shows up once a year with the same gift. 

In all seriousness, the Vortex was awesome. Elway threw it out of Mile High!

• Like 2

Gonna go in cold on this without reading any posts so if something is repeated so be it. 

Strike: Lariat, Hansen's.

Sub: Cobra Clutch, Slaughter's. 

Flip/Off the Top: Moonsault, Vader's. 

Rollup: La Magistral (or Casita), Negro Casas. 

High Impact: German Suplex or Powerbomb, anyone (but esp. Takayama for the former and Kawada for the latter)

Not going into Head-Drop territory because I don't wanna encourage it and you shouldn't either

Alright, I looked back after posting that and Brainbuster by Dick Murdoch wins the High Impact rating. And I'm not getting into bad finishers, except to say, again... Jarrett.

EDIT: Okay, Brainbuster is Head-Drop by any reasoning but Murdoch never hurt anyone doing it to my knowledge, while both of the other two High Impacts certainly have. And I have to give a huge props to the Macho Elbow. We should also roll the dice on Cheap-Shot/Cheat Finishes (though they aren't technically Finishers): nutshot, roll of quarters, what have you. 

EDIT II: Canadian Destroyer is the most bunk thing ever and if you don't think so put me on Ignore

EDIT III: Goddammit. Tag-Team should be a factor too (OBVIOUSLY, duh) yet the Midnights just win it outright immediately

• Like 1

The Skull Crushing Finale is really one of the shittiest finishers around.  Miz rarely even gets the hands locked on the full nelson, which makes it even worse.

For submissions, I second the Texas Cloverleaf love and will mention the Dragon Sleeper too.