DVDVR Message Board

The best/worst finishers past and present?

Well, I liked Kenta's finisher so much, I decided it should be my username on this board 10 years ago. Also, "Bryan Danielson's Ref Stoppage Elbow Strikes" was too many characters.

Worst all-time finisher is the overdrive. I can't believe how many people thought that was so good they needed to copy it.

Currently, my faves are Neville's red arrow (so pretty), and Cage's screwdriver. Worst ones are the complete shot variants that are still lingering around (Ziggler, Truth) and Del Rio's stomp that his opponents have to try very hard to get hit by, when they could just hang upside down and avoid it.

• Like 1

The razor's edge. Why is this move not copied...ever?

Love a good power bomb where the guy gets pulled up really fast with a pause before getting slammed to the mat. 

Worst are the contrived stuff mostly mentioned especially ADR's bullshit stomp. 

Also all these people doing shitty spears when the Jackhammer is right there for the taking... 

• Like 1

I remember there was a story from TNA where Petey Williams was wrestling Steiner in a big match, and he decided he wanted to take a Steiner Screwdriver as the finish. So he ran up to Scott all excited, and said he wanted to do a Steiner Screwdriver, craziest move ever, not been seen in years, most dangerous move in wrestling as the finish... and Scott had no idea what he was talking about.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

How about Dirty Deeds? At a time when half the roster uses ddts as a move no more dangerous than a suplex, Dean is using it as a finish.

Gotta lock in both hands,  Those single-arm DDT;s can't keep down a fly.  Besides, Dirty Deeds is one of Dean's few signature moves which I don't hate.

Someone said Rey's 619.  This.  Oh, lord, this.  I hate the "stagger awkwardly across the ring and slump against the 2nd rope" thing.  But don't slump too much.  If you don't hold yourself up on the rope, Rey can't hit his next move.  Ugh.  I like Rey well enough, but that move looks awful. 

In general, I hate moves that take too long to set up or require you to do something (stand in a certain position) that makes no sense.  Rollins' curb stomp looked good and impactful, but it required the opponent to crouch over and hold his head just right for Rollins.  The WrestleMania curb stomp-countered-into-an-RKO was even worse since it required Seth to springboard off Randy and try set a new high jump record so he could get high enough for Orton to jump up and hit and RKO "outta nowhere" 

For that matter, I'm not a fan of the RKO outta nowhere thing since it usually involves your opponent doing something he wouldn't normally attempt to get in position for a suprise RKO.  It's the Big Show dealie.  If Big Show tries to climb the top rope, you know he's just getting in position for some sort of reversal by his opponent..

If we're talking wacky, indyriffic offense, I used to be a huge fan of Milano Collection AT.  I loved his stuff back during the Italian Connection days in Toryumon.  He changed his style (toned it down) once he leftToryumon/DG, but he looked damn fluid in Toryumon doing an array of junior flippy stuff and a lot of submissions.  In Toryumon, he had some pretty unique submission moves that looked cool. 

• Like 1

Luger's Torture Rack was a good one because of the way he applied it.

The Crossface Chickenwing always looked painful.

I think the Choke Slam can be both the best and worst finisher. It depends almost entirely on the guy taking the move. I remember the way X-Pac used to take one made it look like the most devastating move ever.

I can't totally shit on the Canadian Destroyer because in my idiot backyarder days my buddy did a shoot one on a friend while dicking around. It wasn't pretty and didn't get 100% rotation but it happened. Also it has the smooth look which appeals. 

Favourites at this point tend to be strike combos and suplexes. It's just where I'm at. Mayu Iwatani's wicked floating Dragon Suplex is a big one. Io Shirai's floating German might be sicker.

Hate counter stuff as mentioned but my thing is that I love it until I hate it. Shelton Benjamin started out using a Superkick as a finish. So when it got caught, he had the Dragon Whip as plan B. When it just became a signature, it got wrecked. Orton's out of nowhere RKOs? Fine when logical but then it got to be a cute thing and now you have Christian doing springboard nothings to set it up. In their blowoff, had Orton not hit the RKO Christian would have springboarded into a collision with the steps. Ridiculous. Joe's Powerbomb? Started as a way to maintain control post kickout with more sub variations. Now he seems to pull them up before a 3. KO's popup powerbomb ruled when he was also using regular Powerbombs and just running through variants.

It's a great bit of depth until it just becomes part of the formula and/or requires contrived setups always.

The Ghetto Blaster. Bad News was my favorite as a kid because he was a lone wolf who didn't pal around with the other heels and just came off like such a legit badass, and then he'd finish guys off by giving them a jump kick to the back of the head.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AxB said:

I remember there was a story from TNA where Petey Williams was wrestling Steiner in a big match, and he decided he wanted to take a Steiner Screwdriver as the finish. So he ran up to Scott all excited, and said he wanted to do a Steiner Screwdriver, craziest move ever, not been seen in years, most dangerous move in wrestling as the finish... and Scott had no idea what he was talking about.

Did he have a death wish? I shudder to think of TNA era Scott Steiner trying that move. . . 

4 hours ago, Charlie M. said:

Luger's Torture Rack was a good one because of the way he applied it.

The Crossface Chickenwing always looked painful.

I think the Choke Slam can be both the best and worst finisher. It depends almost entirely on the guy taking the move. I remember the way X-Pac used to take one made it look like the most devastating move ever.

The crossface chicken wing is indeed painful. Just hard to pull off unless your brother is considerably smaller than you. :)

• Like 1

+++  Old Guy Alert  +++   Hate hate hate the Spinning Toe Hold. You know, the absurd hold that Dory Funk won the FUCKING WORLD TITLE with. Never has there been a sillier finisher.  ---  End Old Guy Alert  ---

• Like 1

I couldn't believe that Dory used that as a real finisher. For me, the spinning toe hold was always the start of the figure four. That'd just how ito done! Anybody that executes the figure four without the spinning toe hold is a hack! 

But on that note - Race's finish was a standard suplex.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but when you really think about it John Cena's FU/AA is a pretty lame move for a finisher. Sure, he gets some height on it occasionally, but it's still just a basic bodyslam.

Lesnar's F5 is in a similar boat, but because it was Lesnar, he made it look devastating.

• Like 1

Watching the Screwdriver/Square Driver clip J.T. posted made me think two things: 

1. Hiroshi Hase was fucking suicidal taking three of those in different matches and taking them perfectly, and 

2. I wonder what Owen felt like after he stinger'd Austin doing almost the same move.

• Like 2

Favorites are Vader's powerbomb, Diamond Cutter, and Macho Man's elbow off the top. I think the best for me would be the times Rey hit the springboard rana into a pin, and his opponent timed the bump to make it look like one motion. Best finishing combo is probably Goldberg's spear and Jackhammer.

Worst for me is the fucking Kurt Angle ankle lock. It never gets set up, and he's irish whipping guys right after they escape it. It's not not it takes a lick of talent to do either. You just grab the guys ankle and twist it.

• Like 2