DVDVR Message Board

The best/worst finishers past and present?

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 1:06 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

Well a closed fist punch is also technically illegal but you never see the ref trying to stop that anymore either.

This is why I hate KO Punches as finishers.   A good punch is a staple of a good match but they're still illegal.  A KO Punch should bring down a DQ, not a win by pinfall.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2016 at 10:33 AM, J.H. said:

Didn't Disco Inferno do a whole bunch of vignettes hyping his new leglock finisher only to forget how to apply it?

On 6/30/2016 at 10:40 AM, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

He pulled a schematic out of his trunks one match to try and figure out how to apply it.

that whole meaningless angle was fantastic. he did the diagram bit a few times, always messing it up, he cut promos saying he's "really learned how to do it, for real this time" and still messed it up, he'd brag about how he trained all weekend perfecting it, and it would still cost him the match when he'd bungle it. a legit highlight on those weekend cards.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, twiztor said:

that whole meaningless angle was fantastic. he did the diagram bit a few times, always messing it up, he cut promos saying he's "really learned how to do it, for real this time" and still messed it up, he'd brag about how he trained all weekend perfecting it, and it would still cost him the match when he'd bungle it. a legit highlight on those weekend cards.

Disco Inferno is by far my favorite comedy wrestler.  He was a good enough wrestler who could have decent matches, but was such a dancing goof that he'd just fuck it up.  The diagram was great too.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQ9eNVSkN0FiqneuR5GLq

• Like 1

I love the Rude Awakening, much as it usually made me really angry to see Rude win with it as a kid. Loved how methodical and cruel it looked and he could slow down to showboat or hit it quickly with great technique either way. Rude and AA two of the best guys from that era of having finishers that looked immaculately crisp and really painful every single time

I liked the Stunner better when Austin first started doing it like an inverted rude awakening, and he'd really wrench the 3/4 facelock like he was twisting their neck to set it up. Can't exactly blame him for going down the kick-wham route later with how over it got though

Always liked the pedigree. The way it finished Foley at NM2000 really underlined it as a death move to Kid Me. As a heel champ's finisher here's a kind of brutality/logic to the setup pulling the arms out of the way, and the startup is just complicated enough that it gives the fans' hearts time to sink and start desperately rooting for the guy to counter it. Think there was a kind of trained expectation that Foley would do that after him previously kicking out of it at RR2000, and of course in the HIAC match it was really the end and a brutal exclamation point to the match given what he'd gone through

• Like 2

In his DX days he'd set it up really goofy though. He'd struggle to hook the arms (like his opponent was fighting to prevent the move), let them go to crotch chop, then quickly hook them again.

10 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

I love the Rude Awakening, much as it usually made me really angry to see Rude win with it as a kid. Loved how methodical and cruel it looked and he could slow down to showboat or hit it quickly with great technique either way. Rude and AA two of the best guys from that era of having finishers that looked immaculately crisp and really painful every single time

The crazy thing about Rude is that he also had a great jumping pile driver and diving knee drop in his arsenal. The fact that his neckbreaker was good enough to not seem like an anticlimactic finish makes it all the more impressive.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2016 at 1:16 PM, supremebve said:

Disco Inferno is by far my favorite comedy wrestler.  He was a good enough wrestler who could have decent matches, but was such a dancing goof that he'd just fuck it up.  The diagram was great too.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQ9eNVSkN0FiqneuR5GLq

The diagram looks like Disco is pointing toward some sort of pain emanating from his ass. 

I've been screaming this for a while but someone needs to bring back the slingshot suplex into a floatover pin. Orton was using the slingshot suplex as a transition move at one point but I still think it could be a viable finisher.

Always used to love the Bossman Slam. Running into a big guy like that who'd take your momentum and use it to slam you to the mat always looked devastating. 

Want to repeat the love for Hojo's elbow. A thing of beauty.

It got used to death, but the first time I saw Reno's Roll The Dice, I thought it was amazing. Still think he had the best version too.

25 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Always used to love the Bossman Slam. Running into a big guy like that who'd take your momentum and use it to slam you to the mat always looked devastating. 

Want to repeat the love for Hojo's elbow. A thing of beauty.

It got used to death, but the first time I saw Reno's Roll The Dice, I thought it was amazing. Still think he had the best version too.

Goldberg actually had a pretty sweet version of it as well. IIRC, he busted it out during the match where he won the US Title from Raven. I think he used it as a counter to the Evenflow.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2016 at 9:40 AM, cwoy2j said:

I've been screaming this for a while but someone needs to bring back the slingshot suplex into a floatover pin. Orton was using the slingshot suplex as a transition move at one point but I still think it could be a viable finisher.

To bring this back to a previous comment.  Big E should change his finisher to a slingshot jackhammer. 

• Like 2

Goldberg's wasn't face first, it was just a snap neckbreaker, back bump. Roll the Dice is just the Cross Rhodes/9000 other names.

• Like 1

I was unaware Cody used......whatever you want to call this move. It basically looks like he's STOing himself.

On 6/24/2016 at 1:37 PM, Zartan said:

The razor's edge. Why is this move not copied...ever?

Guys don't like taking it. They can't see or control the bump and nobody protected them after Scott Hall.

• Like 1

For as much as I dislike the Canadian Destroyer, I don't mind Adam Cole's "Panama Sunrise."  Probably because jumping off the second rope to somehow add some spring to his jump makes some sense from a "goofy pro wrestling physics" perspective. 

my standard answer for worst Finisher is the Elix Skipper Overdrive.

. The Tongan Death grip was the best because everyone in wcw would sell it so well. it made you think Meng could beat anyone, and it was a move that everyone from Juvi to Hogan could take well if needed. My favorite finish tho would be the Macho Man elbow drop. It looked hurty but was beautiful.

• Like 3

On 6/23/2016 at 1:20 PM, (BP) said:

One of the worst has to be Road Dogg's pump handle drop. It just looked like he wasn't strong enough to do the pump handle slam. Pretending to cornhole his opponent after setting it up didn't help. 

The move looks weak in the ring and in video games, is contrived, and there is also an implication of unlawful butt sex in the set up. We have a winner for worst finish!

• Like 6

I actually liked the Dominator quite a bit and think that Big E could make it look all kinds of painful.

Favorite finishers (Some of these have already been mentioned)

-- Stan Hansen's Lariat

-- Hikari Fukuoka's Moonsault Double Stomp

-- Los Gringos Locos' Superplex/Frog Splash combo (Yeah yeah, it was the PowerPlex first, but the version at When Worlds Collide is my favorite application of it)

-- Hayabusa's Phoenix Splash  (A thing of fucking beauty whenever he nailed it)

-- Samoa Joe's Kokina Clutch (Sleeper with hooks in.  Simple and effective)

-- Ole Anderson's Diving Knee into the shoulder followed by cranking an armbar (Seemed totally believable after working the arm for the entire match)

Least Favorite finishers

-- Piling on the hate for the Overdrive

-- And for the Lethal Injection

-- And for the Big Ending.

-- Hulk Hogan's Legdrop.  I always hated Hulk, but back then you had Paul Orndorff and Randy Savage inflicting doom on their opponents and I'm supposed to buy running into a raised foot and a legdrop as the WWF Death Spot of the 80s?  No thanks)

• Like 3

I hate the Spear and Superman Punch.

"Hey, I just nailed you with a  Razor's Edge Liger Bomb and barely got a two count out of it.  So I'm gonna jump in the air and punch you in the face, then jump in the air again and drive my shoulder into your tummy.  That'll knock you out."

Favorite finisher ever is the 360 degree Liger Bomb that SUWA used to do on Dragon Kid.