DVDVR Message Board

[TV] MAY 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - I am starting to think I am just going to delete these 20 episodes of Blindspot I have taped...

Eh, I quite liked the first 10 or so episodes.  The reveal at the end of the "winter finale" was killer.

Since then, though, they've gone down a really predictable path with the characters.

I also think Jaimie Alexander is probably the worst element in the show.  She doesn't have much range as an actor. Her stock response to everything - good news, bad news, sad news, angry news - to to stare blankly into the camera, like she's a bit befuddled.  Gets old fast.

Finally started Orphan Black with the lady this weekend and we're hooked.

My poor neglected hulu queue of current shows is never going to get any attention for a long time I feel.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Silicon Valley is the best and craziest show on TV. 

What's amazing is that the more outlandish it gets, the more it rings true.

"Our product is our stock and whatever makes that go up is what we provide."

• Like 1

Stuff I'm digging on TV right now

Angie Tribeca: Silly, silly, silly.  It's bascially Naked Gun/Police Squad! humor and I love it.  Rashida Jones is my favourite.

Flaked: The Will Arnett series on Netflix.  I'd hear it was basically live action 'Bojack Horseman' but it's way  more drama than comedy.  Really enjoying it.

The Detour: Jason Jones as a dad who is taking his family on a trip to Florida by car.  It's better if that's all that you know going into it, because the reveals are funnier that way.  But the trailer for the show gives more away, so don't watch that.  It's funny, sometimes a little too obvious, but Jones reacting to things is always funny.  It's not like top-notch or anything, but perfectly entertaining.

The Carmichael Show: I don't know how this doesn't get a shit-ton more press.  Every episode takes a serious issue, then handles it in a funny, never-preachy way which allows its characters to have different viewpoints and no one is wrong.  This season they've tackled ex-convicts getting back into day-to-day-life, depression, death, and Bill Cosby, and it's always funny despite the subject matter.

Hap and Leonard: I missed the opening of this, so I'm having to DVR episodes and wait until I've got the next one to watch before circling back to the ones that are on right now (I'm two episodes deep).  Terrific drama with the titular characters (James Purefoy and Michael Kenneth 'Omar' Williams) trying to find a treasure of lost money of sorts, while dealing with  Hap's ex (Christina Hendricks), her new age new husband, and a mysterious killer (JImmi 'Liam McPoyle' Simpson).  I really dig it, so far.

Stuff I'm Not So Digging on TV right now

Badlands, Texas: A true crime show about a murder in small town West Texas.   The stuff about how the people live (A guy called Dr. Doug; a woman who refurbishes old trailers in the hopes of renting them out; a bounty hunter; some guy with a eye-patch who just sits around drinking all the time) is kinda fascinating, but it feels really like they had a 2 hour special then saw how succesful 'The Jinx' and 'Making A Murderer' was and decided to stretch it out over 8.  It gets seriously tiresome when they reveal a new detail in the case, then cut to commercial, then come back from commercials and go back to watching some old guy wander around talk about having "justice on your hip" and have to wait another 5 minutes for more details on the case, only for it go to back to commercials again.  I'm basically watching it at this point to find out if there is some big twist that necessitates it being 8 hours or if it's really just as straight-forward as they're making it look.

Inside Amy Schumer: Haven't watched the second episode yet, but this is reminding me a lot of the last season of Key and Peele where you couldn't help but feel like they were saving their best stuff for their movies as the sketches become one-dimensional, feel like stuff you've seen before and/or has a one joke premise that is hammered into the ground.  Like the one with Amy and the guy from 'Hamilton' felt like "Here's some famous people I know...now watch me dance and sing funny for five minutes".  I might cut it loose if it doesn't pick up soon.

17 hours ago, CSC said:

Finally started Orphan Black with the lady this weekend and we're hooked.

My poor neglected hulu queue of current shows is never going to get any attention for a long time I feel.

I continue to solicit ugly looks from my girlfriend whenever Cosima is on screen, even though I have resolved my character crush and moved on since Cosmia is not into guys.

11 hours ago, piranesi said:

What's amazing is that the more outlandish it gets, the more it rings true.

"Our product is our stock and whatever makes that go up is what we provide."

Every episode has a b-story that is about how fucked up something is, in this case, squatters. I remember in England that Guy Ritchie had a problem with squatters who broke into his home and occupied it and he legally couldn't get rid of them. I thought nothing like that could happen in America until last night.

And Silicon Valley showing an actual horse fucking feels like the weirdest shot at Game of Thrones.

In any event, I always feel so bad for the guys on Silicon Valley when they get fucked over. That's the beauty of this show. Even though it's hilarious and satirical, it's incredibly heartfelt.

On 2.5.2016 at 6:37 AM, Craig H said:

Silicon Valley is the best and craziest show on TV. 

On Sunday Silicon Valley equalized in this year's version of the duel for best comedy show against Veep (with Veep winning the opener last week quite handily).

Did CBS publicize that Person of Interest finally has it's season premiere tonight?  It takes over LImitless' spot (Tuesday, 10 PM).

I haven't seen a single ad for it.  Happened to be channel surfing and pulled up the program guide for the rest of the evening, and noticed it.

I'm guessing it won't be back for 2016-2017?

12 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Did CBS publicize that Person of Interest finally has it's season premiere tonight?  It takes over LImitless' spot (Tuesday, 10 PM).

I haven't seen a single ad for it.  Happened to be channel surfing and pulled up the program guide for the rest of the evening, and noticed it.

I'm guessing it won't be back for 2016-2017?

Yeah, tonight starts the final 13 episodes, with it going to twice a week (I think Mondays and Tuesdays) starting next week.

Yeah, Mondays and Tuesdays.  TThey announced that at the end of the ep.

Watched a good chunk of tonight's ep, was mostly lost.  Haven't watched the show much since season 1.  Is Sarah Shahi still with the show?  Her character was kidnapped... or something, I think.  Didn't see her tonight.

I still don't understand what Jim Calviezel is doing,  He mumbles his way through every line and generally plays Reese like he's on tranquilizers.

Amy Acker has aged really, really well

On 5/1/2016 at 1:16 PM, Vader does my taxes! said:

Eh, I quite liked the first 10 or so episodes.  The reveal at the end of the "winter finale" was killer.

Since then, though, they've gone down a really predictable path with the characters.

I also think Jaimie Alexander is probably the worst element in the show.  She doesn't have much range as an actor. Her stock response to everything - good news, bad news, sad news, angry news - to to stare blankly into the camera, like she's a bit befuddled.  Gets old fast.

To be fair - my issue was more that I might as well delete it and just wait the month or so for the entire season to be streaming somewhere.

I literally watched the opening scene of the pilot when my wife said "Oh I want to watch this too" and thus there it has sat since

I've the opposite situation; I gave up on it fairly early, but it's more down my wife's alley so that's what I can put on to distract her when I go down and use the elliptical and watch wrestling on my tablet (and often drag the 3 year old down who will watch old House of Mouse episodes on my laptop til I'm done). 

It's in the company of NCIS, Criminal Minds, White Collar, Covert Affairs, and Rizzoli and Isles for that.

God - if you tell me Bones and Castle and I think your wife and my wife watch the same exact shows (though she did give up on both of those after they had the main characters get together)

Have started watching  Boss. Kelsey Grammar is awesome as a corrupt mayor of Chicago.  Show is basically  House of Cards on a city level, right down to the loveless marriage.  The real star of the show is Kathleen Robertson though. :blink:

Also just finished binge watching the entire run of Damages. Decent show that's way too in love with its time shifting and dream sequence gimmicks.  Also falls into the "all-powerful villain is way too all-powerful" trap.  Still, the twists and turns are fun to watch and Glenn Close is great.  Drops of the last seasons as they switched to cable and went with "we can use lots of f-bombs now" for their writing.

10 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

New Silicon Valley was hilarious, and again brings it with the whole "Yeah, they're gonna start winning with this new strag..Oh , nope. Fucked again." :)

Or are they?  What happened at the end of the episode might have been on purpose.

23 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

New Silicon Valley was hilarious, and again brings it with the whole "Yeah, they're gonna start winning with this new strag..Oh , nope. Fucked again." :)

I legit laughed hard at them hyping this plan and then immediately blowing it.

Anyone watch Quantico? It is the worst show that I feel forced to keep watching just to see how many ridiculous twists and turns they are going to fit in

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ivpvideos said:

Anyone watch Quantico? It is the worst show that I feel forced to keep watching just to see how many ridiculous twists and turns they are going to fit in

I catch every few episodes when the lady is watching it. and it's the most confusing damn show I've ever seen.  The amount of story they've blown through in one season is insane.

12 hours ago, ivpvideos said:

There are times like these where I am thankful for the existence of Google so I can ogle Priyanka Chopra without having to deal with episodes of Quanitco.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ivpvideos said:

I do. I don't even know why. I knew it would be terrible going in but curiosity got the best of me.

On 5/11/2016 at 10:48 PM, ivpvideos said:

After this and Blindspot had put out a couple episodes each I watched them all back to back.  At this point I'm in "I don't really care about the show but I want to see what happens" with both of them.  They're both also in the same vein of Prison Break in that their stories don't need more than a season or two to tell, but could very well become even more convoluted if they get renewed.