DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Awkward - 25 April 2016

Dolfan in NYC

I've reached acceptance level that I probably never WILL be satisfied with WWE's product.  That's fine.  I also accept that there's very little reason to discuss WWE, given how thin-skinned people tend to be in that regard.  Cue the usual response comments.

None of the matches on RAW were as good or as heated as the Kane & Big Show vs Strowman & Rowan match from Main Event last week.

I'm thinking that before Vince can make his decision on who is running RAW, Hunter comes out, destroys Shane, and Vince acts like he was going to put HHH and Stephanie back in charge all along.

On paper, Payback looks like a pretty good show wrestling wise.

10 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

I hope this doesn't lead to a cooking show feud with Emma. 

....or do I?

See what will happen is Emma will be filming a Taste of Tenille backstage during a RAW next month, and it'll be several segments because she's baking a cake in real time.

You know what happens when there's a cake at a wrestling show. You know how the last segment will turn out.

I dunno, I really enjoyed the Anderson & Gallows match. It was a nice old school tag affair. Isolate the babyface, pick a body part, quick tags. Lots of little things like the ref checking if Gallows was holding the tag ropes, Machine Gun taking his knee pad off to drop the knee. Gallows fish hooking Jey when the ref's back was turned. Jimmy and Jey's propensity to do dives playing against them, as Machine Gun kills Jimmy with the lariat and Gallows dumped Jey on the outside. It was a good story. I know you guys wanted a squash, but I was perfectly happy with the story of "Gallows and Anderson are outstanding tag wrestlers and beat the Usos in a tag match" just as much as a 2 minute squash. Guns & Gallows were in control for 90% of the match anyway so it accomplished the same goal, while also showing that they're two mean dudes who aren't afraid to prolong the match to put the hurt on a babyface. It sets up their potential downfall later on down the line.

• Like 2

They are perfectly serviceable as a tag team that smiles for the kids, gets beaten by other better teams, and occasionally runs in to help Roman. I don't really know what their characters or motivations are other than WE LIKE TO HAVE FUN! and FAMILY! So that's a big minus for them. But I guess they sell merch and the kids like them. But yeah, now that we've got a potential tag division going on with the NXT call ups and the Dudleys, New Day, Bullet Club, et al, the Usos feel so much less important.

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I prefer them to never run Hartford again if that is how quiet the crowd is going to be

The crowd usually sucks in that place but I'll be there on Halloween so there will be at least one person who is interested. Providence is a better crowd. Boston is better than that too.

I'm generally fine with the Usos, but there's plenty of fresh blood in the tag team division right now.  Compared to some of the more prolific tag teams in history, their two tag title reigns are positively modest.

We should put an equation together. When you have x number of televised matches over x number of years, in order to remain interesting you must either (a.) reinvent yourself, (b.) be in compelling angles, (c.) be an all time great in the ring, or (d)  be an all time great on the stick.

The Usos are good wrestlers, but I've probably seen 100 Uso matches over the past five years. What's left to see? It's the same reason why Dolph is such a bore. 

• Like 4

I still like the Usos, but they have definitely gotten stale.  I sort of wish they would turn heel with Roman. That said I thought the weaker parts of last night's tag were pretty much all on Anderson/Gallows. While watching that I couldn't help but think how much better the Revival would have been in their spot.

I'm vainly hoping they don't re-introduce Steph and HHH as authority figures. This has been the most compelling stretch of Raws in over 2 years, and they're gonna go back to why the shows were so bad during that stretch? I wouldn't even be opposed to HHH and Steph on screen, just not in the authority role or vying for the authority role.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Gallows and Anderson help AJ win at Payback, then turn on him the next night and unite behind Finn. They didn't file for a trademark on Balor Club just to put it on Finn's tron.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I still like the Usos, but they have definitely gotten stale.  I sort of wish they would turn heel with Roman. That said I thought the weaker parts of last night's tag were pretty much all on Anderson/Gallows. While watching that I couldn't help but think how much better the Revival would have been in their spot.

I thought the same thing re: the Revival. Then I thought they'd be a great 4 man unit. I envision 8-man tags where the whole team targets one limb.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The crowd usually sucks in that place but I'll be there on Halloween so there will be at least one person who is interested. Providence is a better crowd. Boston is better than that too.

Bridgeport is usually hot as hell too, for that matter. I just don't understand why Hartford is so dead every single time. Are they still mad about WM XI?

15 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I thought the same thing re: the Revival. Then I thought they'd be a great 4 man unit. I envision 8-man tags where the whole team targets one limb.

I could totally go for that.

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Bridgeport is usually hot as hell too, for that matter. I just don't understand why Hartford is so dead every single time. Are they still mad about WM XI?

I don't know last time I went it was tons and tons of kids which is great but they don't make a ton of noise. A lot of mom's there with their kids. I was the same way. I'd sit there in awe with my hot dog or popcorn and my parents would be watching but not real invested. I'd cheer or boo the finish. Providence and Boston are more people my age like college or a few years out of college.

Raw was good again!  I'm starting to get scared.  I'm actually interested in the stories for the first time in a while.  Good matches, good promos, REALLY GOOD video packages.  Awesome.

AJ/Sheamus and BC/Usos were both fun and I'm liking this slow tease BC story.  You have to assume it ends with Finn at this point.

Zayn/Rusev was flat out great and I marked when they congratulated Joe.  Cole has really stepped up his game to match the new season/product shift they are going for.

That was one of Dean's best promos on the main roster. Jericho proving the many haters here wrong week after week has been a highlight for me.  Dude has been one of the best things going since the styles feud started.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MADCAP said:

So...no love for the New Day doing the Running Man( or whatever the kids are calling the new viral craze) down the ramp?

I didn't realize what that was until today.  Sadly by then the craze has already been killed dead by local newscasters.  You know the "trying to be cool" moms will do that next.  I did love New Day slipping in the 1999 reference for Prince, nice touch.