DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] RD1B: NEVILLE vs. BECKY LYNCH

MM16: 1st RDB - NEVILLE vs. BECKY LYNCH  

109 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Both people had a tough draw here. Both Neville and Lynch were very good since their main roster callup.

However:

Neville was a well-rounded character on NXT who dissolved into a one-note gimmick of "he wears a cape and does flippy moves".

Becky Lynch was a one-note gimmick on NXT of "she's the girl who wears the band's shirt to the band's concert, and maybe she likes steampunk too" who ended up becoming a well-rounded character who can actually carry some storylines and feuds outside the ring as well as inside on the main roster.

Clear advantage- Lynch.

Neville was a well-rounded character on NXT who dissolved into a one-note gimmick of "he wears a cape and does flippy moves".

They don't even let him wear his cape anymore

• Like 1

Because Neville hasn't been strongly featured recently, it's been easy to ignore some of his good work in previous months. He's still pretty amazing at what he does, and I think maybe it's easy to take that for granted. Lynch has had some good matches, but I'm just not that into her really.

Becky gets my vote for sure, as much as I liked Neville.  She is a damn good wrestler, is entertaining (I like the puns) and has one helluva story as told on Jericho's podcast.  Her match against Sasha at Takeover was a surefire MOTYC and damn did she bring it in that.  I'm dreading the matchup where I would vote against her, but it's not happening today.

• Like 1

Clearly Becky here. She's been an important and featured part of her division during most of the voting period producing some great matches as mentioned above.

Neville is awesome, but he's been an afterthought on the main roster despite moments of brilliance. Becky's brilliance was just brighter and more important to the overall show.

Becky's intro and entrance brings me so much joy.  It's like close to the highlight of RAW for me the last few weeks.  Or at least one of the few things I mark out for consistently.  She's such a traditional babyface.  She loves to wrestle and she's good at it.  And she's a decent character who doesn't cut corners to do it.

She's like the traditional IC or US title babyface champ character.

• Like 1

Wow: tough one to call. Neville is in one of my favorite TV matches of the first two months of 2016 (vs. Owens on RAW, Jan. 4...which was the best way to kick off wrestling in the New Year, IMHO), but otherwise has done little to nothing (aside from teaming with a guy from TV) since being called up. Meanwhile, I hate Becky's dopey "I'm just a really nice person" schtick, because she comes off as a sap, but she helped cement Charlotte as a heel and made me give a shit about more than one match involving Tamina and fucking NAOMI, of all people.

Was thinking about a Sasha/Becky match they had on Raw a couple months ago.  It was a good match, but the fans didn't care one bit about it.  There was no real story to it, it was just there.  Fast forward to their match Monday, and they had the crowd totally into it and it was awesome (forgetting about the finish for now)  Yes, Sasha is amazing, but Becky has done a ton to make people care a lot about her.  The Divas Revolution thing sucked, but now that they have a chance to show what they can do it's been an awesome time.

Neville hasn't done anything even remotely as good as Banks/Lynch at Takeover this year.

This. I like Neville. Hell I liked him when he was Pac. However, Becky is really great and seems to have mostly survived her call up AND was in a MOTYC for 2015.

I'm going to go with Neville, and this is in part because I think he's not going to win this. I like him much more on the main roster than I did in NXT. I think he's come a long way and has gotten down how to work TV matches pretty well, to the point where he's going to be that C-Show guy for us in a year or two the way that people point to Swagger or previously Masters. Depending on how the Cruiserweight Show or a brand split or whatever works out, he could even slip into that 2009 Christian/2008 Matt Hardy C-Show ace sort of role. 

Becky, on the other hand, survived the jump to the main roster better than initial babyface Paige, but just barely. Her NXT matches were more interesting by far. Neville's looked better to me with less opportunity. Becky's looked worse. 

It doesn't mean I might not vote for her later on, but I'm going with Neville here, and this is someone who didn't like him at all two years ago.

I hate this vote because I really like Neville and his NXT work alone makes him a standout IMO. His WWE work got lost in the shuffle once everyone got hurt, but Neville (up until the past month) was booked rather decently and should have gotten a rematch against John Cena since he did not kick out from the Red Arrow.

On the other hand Becky has been nothing but awesome in the ring since her match against Sasha. She turned that crowd completely around on her. Before the match, there were some cheers but more vocal boos. By the end of that match everyone was upset she did not win. She's the best in-ring of all the Four Horsewomen, maybe a better main roster Bailey than Bailey would be on the main roster. I said earlier Evil Emma might be one of the best workers in this tourney, where I think Becky is in my top 4 of people I think should win this thing if it was gauntlet style (Unfortunately the Lass Kicker has a poor round 2 draw)