DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2016 - WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I mean, that's good and fine, except explain to me how we separate the two. So is he only Terry when he's behind closed doors? When he had the reality show, was he Hulk or was he Terry? If he's Hulk because he was on TV, does that then make every other person who has ever been on a reality show a character, despite not changing their name? What about when Hulk goes on radio shows and plays things low key, not speaking like the Hulkster, and then starts speaking like the Hulkster?

Honestly I think his public persona is Hulk Hogan, and any TV or radio interviews should be seen as him being Hulk Hogan.  No one is interviewing him so they can learn about Terry Bollea, they want to interview the larger than life character from their childhood.  For instance, Hulk Hogan telling kids to say their prayers and eat their vitamins is true to the character of Hulk Hogan.  Terry Bollea can still be prosecuted for using steroids to play that character.  Hulk Hogan can't go to jail, Terry Bollea can.  Hulk Hogan can say whatever the hell he wants in a radio interview, but in court Terry Bollea has to tell the truth.  Hulk Hogan is not a real person, he's just the character that Terry Bollea played on television.  Do you think Mr. T. is running around telling people "I pity the fool?"  Do you remember how much you didn't wnat to hear Mr. T. talk about his mother for a fucking hour during his hall of fame speech.  The fact that the sex tape was released without his consent, takes all of the gray area out of this to me.  He didn't consent for any of this to happen, therefore his privacy should be respected. 

Hogan is 100% in the right as far as I'm concerned, but this lawsuit is probably ill-advised if his privacy is his concern.  The line of questioning about the difference in size between his and Hulk Hogan's penis was one fo the most magical/ridiculous things I've ever seen.  First of all Hulk Hogan is on the witness stand in a do-rag.  Then he has to explain to people that his penis and Hulk Hogan's penis are two different penises.  The crazy thing is that, he has a point.  Hulk Hogan is a fictional character who only exists publicly.  He can go on the radio and say ridiculous things, because that person doesn't exist.  Nothing he says should be considered a fact, because the very existence of Hulk Hogan is a work.  Putting out a video of Terry Bollea having sex is not the same thing as putting out a tape of Hulk Hogan having sex.  Terry Bollea has the right to his privacy, he's a real person.  Nothing Hulk Hogan has ever said and done should be considered something that represents something Terry Bollea would say or do.  That would be like charging Sylvester Stallone for murder, because of all the people that Rambo killed.  Rambo doesn't exist, those people aren't dead, and Sylvester Stallone is not responsible for the actions of the character he is playing.

If Terry is so concerned with his privacy why can I watch this trial live, for free?

Pretty sure Terry Bollea playing Hulk Hogan represents something Terry Bollea would do. He did cash the checks didn't he.

Except he didn't accept a check for the sex tape, therefore Gawker had no right to put it out. 

Hulk wasn't only Hulk while he was on TV. It's been his entire persona for years. Saying he's just a character played by Terry Bolea is such a weak argument.

Also, and I'm not sure if this was addressed or not, but was Hulk aware he was being recorded? I don't remember how all of that went down. It just seems like he's trying to kill the messenger as opposed to the person who actually recorded and leaked the tape. If that take is wrong, then that's fine, I'm just not aware of those specifics.

Put another way, whenever people speak to him on or off TV, they refer to him as Hulk Hogan. He refers to himself as Hulk Hogan. If he signs an autograph, he's signing it as Hulk Hogan. If I asked PrattPrattPratt for an autograph, would he sign it as Peter Quill, or as Chris Pratt? 

Put another way, whenever people speak to him on or off TV, they refer to him as Hulk Hogan. He refers to himself as Hulk Hogan. If he signs an autograph, he's signing it as Hulk Hogan. If I asked PrattPrattPratt for an autograph, would he sign it as Peter Quill, or as Chris Pratt? 

Wait, you don't think that he should be able to have a private life outside of his Hulk Hogan persona, because of how he signs his name to people who only know him as Hulk Hogan?  I'm not disputing that his entire public persona is Hulk Hogan, I'm saying that you can't violate Terry Bollea's privacy because of it.  He clearly didn't want that video to be put out, or there wouldn't be a lawsuit. It seems like Gawker's entire defense is based on things he said and did publicly as Hulk Hogan.  His argument is that things he does publicly as Hulk Hogan aren't true to who he is privately as Terry Bollea.  He also argued this by saying that Hulk Hogan's penis is a larger, different penis than Terry Bollea's penis.  I hope 20 years from now there is a People vs. OJ style television show about this, just so I can see Chris Hemsworth get on the stand with a do-rag and say those words. 

Wait, you don't think that he should be able to have a private life outside of his Hulk Hogan persona, because of how he signs his name to people who only know him as Hulk Hogan?  I'm not disputing that his entire public persona is Hulk Hogan, I'm saying that you can't violate Terry Bollea's privacy because of it.  He clearly didn't want that video to be put out, or there wouldn't be a lawsuit. It seems like Gawker's entire defense is based on things he said and did publicly as Hulk Hogan.  His argument is that things he does publicly as Hulk Hogan aren't true to who he is privately as Terry Bollea.  He also argued this by saying that Hulk Hogan's penis is a larger, different penis than Terry Bollea's penis.  I hope 20 years from now there is a People vs. OJ style television show about this, just so I can see Chris Hemsworth get on the stand with a do-rag and say those words. 

I'm not saying that AT ALL, but I welcome you to find where I did say that. That you took me saying that Hulk deserved to have his private life violated because he's Hulk Hogan is an incredible leap. OR...

Hulk wasn't only Hulk while he was on TV. It's been his entire persona for years. Saying he's just a character played by Terry Bolea is such a weak argument.

perhaps this is commentary on how sawft of a defense this is.

To "spell it out for ya," no, I don't think Hulk should have had his privacy violated, but if he wants to win, he's going to need something more than this.

Something crappy was done to a crappy person. It wasn't done cause Hogan is a bad person.

I'm assuming Terry Bollea does exist because the Hogan persona is so unbelievable.

However, I thought the same thing about Trump and here we are.

I like Mike Bailey but his look definitely holds him back.  Somebody on PWG commentary described him as, "he looks like a kid whose mom dropped him off at the wrong building for karate class, so he decided to just stay and fight grown men."

I'm pretty sure his debut was met with laughter when he came out in his Gi. Then he did a bunch of wild flippy shit and did wild kicks and got over.

If he got in shape and didn't show up to shows with Farmer tans he could probably get over as a plucky babyface. But he's GOTTA get in shape. He's clearly athletic, he just doesn't look it.

His match with Roderick Strong at Mystery Vortex iV was awesome, with Strong calling him a nerd before the match. If he was treated like a mope from someone like Baron Corbin, it'd be sweet.

• Like 1

I like Mike Bailey but his look definitely holds him back.  Somebody on PWG commentary described him as, "he looks like a kid whose mom dropped him off at the wrong building for karate class, so he decided to just stay and fight grown men."

I'm pretty sure his debut was met with laughter when he came out in his Gi. Then he did a bunch of wild flippy shit and did wild kicks and got over.

If he got in shape and didn't show up to shows with Farmer tans he could probably get over as a plucky babyface. But he's GOTTA get in shape. He's clearly athletic, he just doesn't look it.

His match with Roderick Strong at Mystery Vortex iV was awesome, with Strong calling him a nerd before the match. If he was treated like a mope from someone like Baron Corbin, it'd be sweet.

Yeah, he looks like such an unfinished product right now.  He reminds me of this chick from high school that I didn't realize was attractive until we graduated and I ran into her at the mall.  She sat right behind me in English class, we laughed and joked all the time, and I legit saw her every single day my senior year.  So about two months after graduation, I saw her in the mall with a new hair style, some booty shorts, and a fresh from the beach sunkissed skin tone.  She was the same exact person, but she was a whole new person at the same damn time.  I legit couldn't understand how I didn't notice how drop dead gorgeous she was until right then.  She went from the girl who had a nice smile to a woman who had mazimized every little thing that made her attractive.  A wrestler is never going to reach their full potential until they look the part, act the part, and can perform the part.  If March Madness has taught me anything this year it is that the indys are full of guys who have all the potential in the world but only pay attention to part of the package.  If Speedball Mike Bailey, Chris Hero, Sami Callihan, and Trevor Lee paid attention to their looks they'd have much higher ceilings for their career.  At this point they are just talented guys who are going to spend the rest of their lives working indy shows for pennies when they could be on television every week making dollars. 

• Like 1

So I'm watching a Eagle Pro show from 2012 and in the opening sixman we get Triple Heart sadly not the indy sleaze take on Triple H I was hoping for. But oh well I can't complain, I mean I'm watching Eagle Pro from 2012, I think that might be 10 years after I got my first Eagle Pro shows from Dean.