DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R1: JOHNNY GARGANO vs. TYLER BREEZE

RIPPA

MM16: 1st RD - JOHNNY GARGANO vs. TYLER BREEZE  

105 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

This poll is closed to new votes

Solely taking NXT into account, I'm not sure I can name a Breeze match from the voting period that I liked more than Gargano/Corbin.  Liger/Breeze was a bigger "moment" I guess, but very little of that had to do with Breeze.

What's Tyler's best match in the voting period?

March Madness: It's not for everyone. (PM sent. We'll get this shit out of the thread now)

Anyway, I like Breeze's NXT stuff better than Gargano's PWG work, but it's not a big gap, and I wouldn't argue with someone who leaned the other way. I do think that while Breeze can be forgiven for not being able to make more of the complete lack of anything he's been given on the MR (he's still had some good matches, like the triple threat with Ambrose and Ziggler,) I can't forgive Gargano for not having a better match with Samoa Joe, who's been a legit candidate for BITW as of late.

Taking that into account, with NXT matches how much could Gargano do anyway?  It was meant as a main event squash match and I don't think that was a fair representation of what he can do.  I guess that's why I'm going to seek out a lot of his non-NXT stuff before making up my mind.  Now in NXT he did have that wild match with him and Ciampa against American Alpha.

He was on fire after Mania. The match with Itami and the tag match with Rose against Itami and Balor that he was the best part of were two favorites.

Taking that into account, with NXT matches how much could Gargano do anyway? It was meant as a main event squash match and I don't think that was a fair representation of what he can do.

See Ciampa's match with Joe. It blew the Gargano match away.

• Like 1

Breeze being in WWE limbo, swings it to Gargano for me. I think Gargano would be a little more likely to rise above Breeze's current status if he were in Prince Pretty's fur covered designer shoes

I assume you mean if Gargano was given the same push and not the same character but is what Tyler has right now even considered a push?

The match with Crews wasn't Tyler's best match, but it was definitely Crews', and I think that's one of the best arguments for Tyler.

He also had Crews best match during the time period.

I would say the first Finn match, the one with the screwy finish, was better.  Corbin/Crews, where Crews took his first L, is probably Crews best performance and might be my pick for the best Crews match.  Not exactly high praise, but I don't think Crews/Tyler was much of a standout.  I definitely wouldn't use it to argue for Tyler.

Holy shit, those Smash commentators have such great Canadian accents. Classic.

letterkenny.jpg

"You drove down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play. Sure gas is cheap but fuck if they don't even have all dressed chips in that shithole."

I also enjoy heel Johnny more than generic babyface Johnny. Really good cheating cut-offs and timing. Maybe just a bit too much mugging for the audience.

edit: that match was superb and won me over on Gargano. I like Breeze. He does little things well and his opponents almost always look great against him but I've never been too invested in his matches. I find his offense pretty boring too.

I would say the first Finn match, the one with the screwy finish, was better.  Corbin/Crews, where Crews took his first L, is probably Crews best performance and might be my pick for the best Crews match.  Not exactly high praise, but I don't think Crews/Tyler was much of a standout.  I definitely wouldn't use it to argue for Tyler.

I actually liked the second Finn/Crews match better than the first. Yeah, not being a title match took the urgency out of it, but you had Finn wrestling from on top which made that for me.

Also, does Niners Fan post anymore? I remember him liking that Breeze/Crews match a lot :D

I'm going to try to watch some non-NXT Gargano before I vote, but Tyler Breeze was outstanding for most of the year.  He should be an NXT lifer, there is nothing for him on the main roster.  I want him to be the male Emma, where he goes back down and proves that he isn't the problem. 

I instinctively voted for Breeze, forgetting that Johnny and I have publicly made up and settled our feud, to say nothing of his awesome matches from late in the year in Evovle and the fact that I think his team with Ciampa is actually really good.  Plus I liked his match v. Jimmy Rave a lot live.  Probably should have voted for him, but when you live the gimmick for so long it's easy to revert. 

One of the ways that I'm deciding - and quickly - is if I ever got emotionally involved in anything that the wrestler in question was doing. I was invested in Breeze winning the NXT title this year, enough to actually care about the outcome of a Finn Bálor match, in fact. 

I enjoy Gargano/Ciampa, but that's because of Ciampa, not Gargano. Also, I just give zero fucks about Gargano in singles, even if the match itself is solid. 

I enjoy Gargano/Ciampa, but that's because of Ciampa, not Gargano. Also, I just give zero fucks about Gargano in singles, even if the match itself is solid.

Am I the only one who thinks this is another Sasuke/Taka situation where they brought them in being more interested in Gargano but Ciampa is the one they end up signing?

I watched a couple Gargano matches from outside of NXT last night, but I still think I liked Breeze's pre-call up stuff better.  Even though, Gargano is a much better indy heel than he is NXT babyface.