DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] WWE NOMINATIONS

RIPPA

I came in here just to say that.  It was better than anything Becky has done on the main roster!  One of the first times Sasha was able to catch the crowds attention to that degree.  

Also, Naomi is better than Charlotte.

Ranking the roster top to bottom (with the assumptions: 1- I would assume it's not going to be separate regionals, and if not WWE could deserve more than 16 based on their sheer size...

1-Kevin Owens

2- Bayley

3-John Cena

4-Dean Ambrose

5- Finn Balor

6- The New Day

7- Kalisto

8-Seth Rollins

9- Roman Reigns

10- Becky Lynch

11- Sasha Banks

12- Cesaro

13- Neville

14- Rusev

15- Nikki Bella (controversial, but if women are getting in for their NXT work and the Divas' Revolution, she'd have more of a case for her year than Charlotte would. Heck, I'll go there- put Nikki in NXT and Charlotte on the main roster for the qualifying year in full and everyone's saying Nikki belongs on the ballot.)

16- Asuka

17- Tyler Breeze (Similar to the Becky/Sasha NXT vs. Main Roster debate: If you're going to hold good NXT work and questionable main roster work as reasons Becky and Sasha should make the ballot, then it should stand to reason as well that Tyler Breeze's year in NXT should get him into March Madness and his middling main roster work shouldn't be held against him either.

18-Emma

19- Baron Corbin

20- Brock Lesnar

21- Charlotte

22- Samoa Joe

23- Sheamus

24- Jack Swagger

25- Chad Gable/Jason Jordan

26-R-Truth

27- Ryback

28- The Miz

29- Alexa Bliss

30- Enzo Amore/Colin Cassady

31- Bray Wyatt

32-Heath Slater

33- Summer Rae

34- Paige

35- Titus O'Neil

36- Sami Zayn

37- The Vaudevillains

38- Undertaker

39- Daniel Bryan

40- Alicia Fox

41- Apollo Crews

42-Curtis Axel

43- Sting

44- Braun Strowman

45- Dawson and WIlder

46-Brie Bella

47- Natalya

48- Eva Marie

49- Luke Harper

50- Triple H

51-Zack Ryder

52-Carmella

53-Peyton Royce

54-Dana Brooke

55-Mojo Rawley

56- Jimmy Uso

57- Bo Dallas

58- Naomi

59- Stardust

60- Damien Sandow

61- Tye Dillinger

62- Randy Orton

63-King Barrett

64- Big Show

65- Nia Jax

66- Billie Kay

67- Tamina

68- Rhyno

69- Adam Rose

70- Darren Young

71- Blake/Murphy

72- Erick Rowan

73- Elias Samson

74- Mark Henry

75- Chris Jericho

76- Dolph Ziggler

77-Fandango

78-Hideo Itami

79- Sin Cara

80- Goldust

81- Kane

82- Alex Riley

83- Cameron

84- Los Matadores

85- The Ascension

86- Jey Uso

87- Dawkins and Fulton

More deserving for non-WWE Nominations:

AJ Styles

Bubba Ray Dudley

Alberto Del Rio

D-Von Dudley

What did Tyler Breeze do of note in NXT? I can't even remember, beyond the Liger match. He had the Itami matches, which I suppose were good, but to rank him above Baron Corbin? Samoa Joe? Bray Wyatt?

As for Neville, I maybe mixing up my years, but I don't think he had that outstanding of a year outside of his run as NXT champ, which I thought was just a little bit into this voting period.

The big difference for Dolph and Samson is- Samson's been bad, but he doesn't actively take away from the product all year.

By contrast, Dolph Ziggler went from "March Madness-worthy and future WWE Champ" in 2014 to "worse than nothing" in 2015. The feud with Rusev took a top four person last year and nearly derailed his momentum and ruined Rusev, with only Summer Rae and Rusev doing their damnedest to save that piece of crap fixing it (see also the reason Summer Rae had a surprisingly high ranking there too). In the process, it took Lana, who was whispered as a future "next female face of the company", and turned her from one of the strongest-looking female characters on the roster into a sexy lamp in less than 3 weeks.

Throw in that not only was this storyline so bad, but it was  going on just as the Divas' Revolution was about revamping and rebuilding women's wrestling in WWE, and it made things worse, because the sheer badness of the storyline made it clear "No, even if the matches the NXT Divas have are good, don't expect things to change. The same knuckleheads are writing WWE main roster television and so within six months they're going to screw this up", so it hindered that part of the show as well.

No matter how pretty Ziggler looks selling things, he was one of the biggest net negatives iin wrestling this year. At least Samson just ruins one segment or two of NXT every couple weeks and is in small enough doses it doesn't hurt anyone.

I'm throwing out Braun Strowman as a nominee. The dude has been really great in the role he has been given. He's an old-school swamp monster and it's an event to even get him off of his feet. Goofy name aside, he's really good as a lumbering, clubbing beast.

Breeze was still his ever present awesome self at the start of the year. I'd probably take his best stuff above Corbin or Joes best stuff (save maybe Joe/Ciampa, but thats iffy)

Also on any ranking matter, even if you dislike Dolph, how the heck is Sampson above him?

Shit, I missed that. Yeah...how is Sampson above Dolph?

I'm not saying that Dolph is one of the Top 16 guys the past year in the WWE but Sampson has had maybe five matches as The Drifter? He had some matches previously but as a quasi-anonymous NXT jobber. Dolph's a primary part of TV. I'm eh on Dolph but he's better than The Drifter who is sorta just there.

I've also seen American Alpha on some lists. I mean, I love those guys to death but I don't even know if they've been around long enough for inclusion on something this illustrious. They haven't even been involved in an angle yet.

I'm throwing out Braun Strowman as a nominee. The dude has been really great in the role he has been given. He's an old-school swamp monster and it's an event to even get him off of his feet. Goofy name aside, he's really good as a lumbering, clubbing beast.

But he's been 4th best guy in the Wyatt's act, and hasn't exactly set the world on fire in any match he's been in.

Just for the record - officially retired guys aren't making the tournament

Terry funk?

Yeah, I feel like Terry Funk deserves to be nominated for the Mark Lewin match that was uncovered on wrestling classics and for a bunch of the new AJPW tag matches that turned up. (Oates vs Funk. Funk/Robinson vs Asteroid/Avenger). 

Great year for time-travelling Terry Funk.

I've also seen American Alpha on some lists. I mean, I love those guys to death but I don't even know if they've been around long enough for inclusion on something this illustrious. They haven't even been involved in an angle yet.

Quality of quantity my dude.  You're going to here that a lot over the next few months (mostly because I will spam post it).  Also, they did have an angle! Jordan spent a few months looking for a partner!  That was a cool introduction angle and I really loved those backstage skits with Gable begging Jordan to give him a chance.

I don't remember arguing with you in this thing before.  Is this your first time participating in March Madness?  If so, welcome to the fucking show!

Also, fuck Braun Stroman.  Now there is someone I would pick Charlotte over.

Just a point of order - Asuka has a lot more matches in the time period than just NXT

I can't find record of anyone named Asuka ever wrestling before.  If it didn't happen in WWE, it didn't happen!

(Obviously, this joke doesn't even hold water since they acknowledged and introduced her as Kana in NXT.)

Cesaro had 68 televised matches after March up until his injury in November according to Cagematch. Should he be eligible? 

Cesaro was starting to build his momentum back as a singles and #BTE had good matches.  He should be in.

My top 16 based on the criteria "Based on the applicable timeframe, who would I rather watch now?"

1. Bayley
2. Kevin Owens
3. Sasha Banks
4. Cesaro
5. Asuka
6. The New Day
7. Tyler Breeze
8. Rusev
9. Samoa Joe
10. Emma

11. Brock Lesnar

12. Roman Reigns

13. John Cena

14. Baron Corbin
15. Seth Rollins
16. Dean Ambrose

Breeze was still his ever present awesome self at the start of the year. I'd probably take his best stuff above Corbin or Joes best stuff (save maybe Joe/Ciampa, but thats iffy)

Elaborate, Dragon! What was his best stuff? Why was it better than some of the commonly agreed upon top 20 workers in the company?

(Genuinely not being snarky, because, this is a MARCH MADNESS thread, and when it gets snarky you will KNOW IT, BAY-BAYYYY)

Should be shoo-ins for getting in: Cena, Reigns, Brock, Owens, Styles, Cesaro, The New Day (would really prefer them as a unit), Sasha, Bayley, Becky

Toss-ups that I should should get in: Rollins, Ambrose, Rusev, Wyatt, Harper, Kane, Miz, Truth, Zayn, Balor, Corbin, Gable, 

Toss-ups that I think should not get in: Orton, Sheamus, Dolph (I'm his biggest defender here, but the hyperbole against him is reaching hysterical levels and he doesn't stand a chance), Goldust, Kalisto, Neville, Ryback, Paige, Nikki, Charlotte, Naomi, Joe, Itami, Cass, Enzo, Jordan, Dawson, Dash, Asuka, Emma, 

Please do not waste a spot on: Taker, Del Rio, Barrett, Show, Henry, Stardust, Titus, Dudleys, Usos, Swagger, Rowan, Strowman, Rose, Slater, Bo, Axel, Sin Cara, Ascension, Kidd, Young, Sandow, Fandango, Matadores, Nattie, Tamina, Alicia, Brie, Summer, Crews, Samson, Blake, Murphy, Vaudevillains, Mojo, Ryder, Dillinger, Dawkins, Fulton, Alexa, Carmella, Dana, Nia, Eva, Cameron, Peyton, Billie

Rollins had a whole bunch of really good matches. He had two thrillers with Ambrose in the time period, I believe. He and Neville had one of the best Raw matches of the year that included some of the best near falls in memory. I'm sure I can dig up a bunch more stuff.

• Like 1

Rollins had a whole bunch of really good matches. He had two thrillers with Ambrose in the time period, I believe. He and Neville had one of the best Raw matches of the year that included some of the best near falls in memory. I'm sure I can dig up a bunch more stuff.

Counterpoint: Rollins sucks.

• Like 3

Counterpoint: Rollins sucks.

You suck.  Your wrestling opinions are mostly awful and yet you are SO sure of yourself.  It's such a shitty combination of traits.

I will elaborate more in March.

• Like 2