DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] WWE NOMINATIONS

RIPPA

Well lets start with the obvious ones. 

Bayley: Following the Carmella match, I think she has passed Sasha as the clear "Best Case to win this thing WWE has". Just a fantastic year with multiple really good title matches working all sorts of different people, and all of them have been, at minimum, really good. Very Legitimate Final 4 contender to me.

Sasha Banks: Still has the Bayley and Becky matches to hang her hat on, and is still in general just an outstanding character.

Becky Lynch: Probably the NXT girl who has done the most with her callup. Finding her niche. And probably the most polished wrestler of the bunch.

Charlotte: I think all 4 of the Horsewomen have to be here, right?

Asuka: Has been as good of an act as there has been since her arrival in the company.

Does it say something that the 5 most obvious inclusions to me were all Women? 

Anyway, without making strong cases, I'd think that the New Day as a group (makes most sense I think as opposed to individually?), Cena (short run but was probably the best main show guy this year), Owens, Reigns, Cesaro, Kalisto, Sheamus, and Ambrose probably should be included, though I'm very iffy on how far some of those guys should go. Also, you know Lesnar. On the NXT front, Balor, Joe, Corbin, and maybe if you wanted to do the tag team "An Uso" route, Jordan/Gable, Dash/Dawson, and Blake and Murphy could deserve consideration.

I like that Dragon's argument is basically "The other 3 are there"

*sigh*

Some good (if not amazing) stuff with a variety of different opponents, a pretty damn full listing of PPV matches, and it's an incredibly weak year for WWE competitors. Seriously, outside of maybe Owens, how many males on the roster had a good full year of stuff? And my favorite stuff from Owens was before the voting period.

I think Charlotte's best stuff was with Sasha in NXT first in the Fatal Four Way and the rematch when Sasha was in her face turn.  I wouldn't say she was better than say Emma despite be a more featured and protected part of the program.

My only problem with "large body of work" (and this implies to anyone) wouldn't that slippery slope just imply that I should take the 64 people with the most matches?

And that is for anyone - where does the balance of quantity vs. quality come in?

Is Wrestler A more worthy because they had 20 good matches than Wrestler B who only had 10 matches but they are all outstanding?

There is a balance to strike there (known as the Brock Balance to nobody) where a worker that does 3 matches a year shouldn't get the benefit over someone who works every week because 'their stuff stands out more'.  Well no kidding!  By the same token, being healthy all year shouldn't make Dean Ambrose overshadow someone who worked 9 months. 

Thats the problem with the field this year in general. I have no problem excluding people due to lack of great matches (and Charlotte's best stuff does fall outside the voting period), but there are just so few guys who have had good years from the WWE field, both from a match quality stand point or quantity. 

Others can feel free to disagree with me, but the list of guys who were A: Healthy for the entire stretch and B: good enough to actually have a case for a sweet 16 birth from main show WWE would be something like...

Kevin Owens

The New Day

Roman Reigns

Dean Ambrose? I disagree, but others might go for him maybe?

Basically, I just think the WWE grouping this year really sucks to the point that if you asked me to name, say, 16 WWE people, main show or NXT, with a case for inclusion, Charlotte would probably make my list. Cena, Cesaro, Lesnar, and other guys who have had injury/other stuff shortened years are probably getting in, which I'm more then cool with, but god damn the WWE list this year sucks. Even the main event guys in NXT (Balor, Corbin, Joe to some extent) didn't really have a stand out year. 

I guess if I had a stance, it's that there shouldn't be that much WWE inclusion this year.

This is partly where I am struggling with guys with an injury (and the biggest ones seem to be in the WWE though there are some to factor in Japan)

Part of the reason I put Brock vs. Bryan last year were because they were the two "least amount of matches" guys

There is no way Charlotte should be on this list. How many WWE/NXT wrestlers do you think should get in?  She is a wrestler with no charisma who can be lead along to something decent.  Pretty much every full time wrestler on the roster meets those qualifications.

• Like 2

I'm someone who is pretty skeptical about Charlotte, but I think she should be included.  She isn't great, but I think I'd feel like she was missing if she wasn't on the ballot.  She's carried the Divas division for what may very well be the best run the division has ever had.  The Divas Revolution was kind of a bust, because the NXT division is still better than the main roster division.  It has still improved by leaps and bounds, and Charlotte has kind of been carrying the division.  I think the problem is that the booking her into that position is pretty much universally hated, but she has done well despite it being a bad decision.

Joe had a pretty great year.  So did Corbin.  Are we watching the same show?  Hell, Zayn has way more high end stuff than most people in the time period, right?  When was the Cena match when he hurt his shoulder?

Suggesting Charlotte should be in over any of these people is insanity.  

Assuming 16 spots for WWE/NXT I would go in no particular order

1)   Bayley

2)   Sasha Banks

3)   Emma

4)   Samoa Joe

5)   Baron Corbin

6)   Kevin Owens

7)   Finn Balor

8)   Roman Reigns

9)   Becky Lynch

10) Big E

11) Sheamus

12) Scott Dawson

13) Kalisto

14) Chad Gable

15) John Cena

16) Asuka

AJ Styles would be in the Japan or Indies bracket since he's worked 4 times for Vince at this point.

How close was Joe or Corbins year to say, Zayn or Neville from last year?

Well, they had the 2nd best match on NXT: Brooklyn together, Joe/Ciampi was just as good as pretty much all of Neville's TV taping matches last year, Joe and Corbin are two of the better promo's in NXT, they were the best two guys in the Dusty Rhodes Classic etc etc.  

It's an irrelevant comparison though, because we're trying to decide if they should be in over Charlotte not Sami Zayn in one of the best years of his career.  Didn't Zayn almost win the whole thing last year?

Assuming 16 spots for WWE/NXT I would go in no particular order

1)   Bayley

2)   Sasha Banks

3)   Emma

4)   Samoa Joe

5)   Baron Corbin

6)   Kevin Owens

7)   Finn Balor

8)   Roman Reigns

9)   Becky Lynch

10) Big E

11) Sheamus

12) Scott Dawson

13) Kalisto

14) Chad Gable

15) John Cena

16) Asuka

AJ Styles would be in the Japan or Indies bracket since he's worked 4 times for Vince at this point.

Charlotte very well be in that 17-20 range, but I'd take either Sheamus or Kalisto out for her without feeling bad about it at all.  I like those guys, but Sheamus was put into a position to run with the championship and failed, but Charlotte succeded.  I know it isn't a 1-to-1 comparison, but a successful title reign over an unsuccessful title reign seems like a fair tie breaker.

Joe/Ciampa, while fun, was NOT as good as Owens/Neville. Not buying that one at all. They were also not "the two best guys in the Dusty Rhodes", figuring neither guys teams were the best part of the Dusty Rhodes. Jordan and Gable as well as Dash and Dawson were the ones people were talking about afterwards, and rightfully so. Corbin was good in that role, but Joe was kinda just there for the entire tournament, and I'm a Joe mark. Also, saying "They had the 2nd best match at NXT Brooklyn" is like a no shit statement, as nothing else other then the one amazing match on the show was particularly amazing. It was good, but not something I'd put in a MOTY list. As for best promos, sure, I guess, though I'd rank them behind Emma/Dana, Bayley, Sasha when she was there, Enzo and Cass, and Jordan and Gable. Maybe even behind Dash and Dawson. It's more in ring charisma then mic work.

And my statement was about how this is an incredibly weak year from WWE top to bottom (save the Sasha, Becky, Bayley group),It isn't all just about Charlotte.