DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2016 POST SHOW

RIPPA

You know, if you want to build up your champions as an unstoppable monster, I don't know if having him literally sitting out half the match is the best way to do so.  

WELCOME TO THE WWE! 

But, hey, who cares about the Rumble!  THE BOSS IS BACK!

• Like 1

This was a super-fun show from start to finish. Owens vs. Dean was a great video game hardcore match, while the tag title match exceeded any expectations thanks to some hard work and risk-taking. The US Title match was a cluster at times, but they did a fantastic job setting up false finishes and then delivering another nice win for Kalisto . IF they don't go back to it, then he won two out of three matches and won the feud. Becky vs. Charlotte had one of the best main roster video packages in years and they both got over - as did Sasha with the post-match assault on Charlotte. The Rumble made it very clear that Roman is STILL not the guy. he got booed with everything he did, and no story they told here prevented it. HHH's win was predictable in a good way, and AJ came off like a star while Owens has FOUR FEUDS set up with just this one match.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2016/01/wwe-royal-rumble-2016.html

Screens - 

06a019461262481.jpg 

ef98a7461268431.jpg 

1d309e461280651.jpg

The Road to WrestleMania is paved with MANY 20 minute promos
5dc3e9461287561.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/z5dsq0jm13l77fnbqhqhjla24unny81x

• Like 2

So much potential and that's what they went with? So Roman gets dumped, but doesn't help eliminate HHH to re-create the Hogan, Sid, Flair scenario. The perfect ending was right there. This company is circling the bottom of the toilet in terms of creativity and quality. If Roman isn't the guy, then who? Brock, AJ, and Strowman were the only ones that looked strong. 

• Like 1

Some thoughts that you should skim through. 

1. Owens/Ambrose was a nice match. They went about a hundred miles per hour and did the best brawl they could in the no-blood era. As soon as they went away from those Chekhov's Tables, it was clear that they would end the match with a spot through them, but for two guys who typically run through a lot of movesy-type offense quickly with no transitions, this sort of match was perfect for them because those things don't matter as much. 

2. The New Day is awesome and Big E should really be WWE WHC. They're really wasting him in the spot they have him. Woods as Don King for WWE Champ Big E, on the other hand, would be (even more) money. Match was solid, and as usual, Big E and Woods were co-MVPs of a New Day tag match.

3. Kalisto doesn't have nearly the charisma of Rey Mysterio at all, so I'm not sure how well he'll fit into that spot that they're obviously grooming him for. He was sloppy tonight, but ADR had some really mean heel work and should work guys smaller than him more often because he always abuses smaller opponents in interesting ways. 

4. Charlotte being the third-most-over person in the Becky Lynch match is just the story of Charlotte. They want her to be the centerpiece of that division going forward, but Lynch/Banks/Bayley/Asuka all have more charisma and significantly better in-ring. Glad to see Becky get some good crowd support. I was bummed that Becky lost and look forward to her getting a run. She's really naturally likable, so I'm hoping they don't have her do the stupid "bitchy girls are crazy and mean" stuff they make all the other women do. 

Sasha coming back got a nice pop in my house. I was especially happy since I didn't expect her back for a few months. 

5. No offense to Lilian Garcia, but I wish that they'd drag Howard Finkel out of mothballs for the Rumble every year. I miss "NOW, let us ALL find out WHO DREW NUMMMBER ONE...in the ROYAL! RUMBLE!" I think I got all the emphasis right. 

Reigns is looking like a goof if he loses or SuperCena if he wins, neither of which is good. Poor bastard. He didn't get booed as badly as I thought he might, though. 

Rusev. :(

AJ Styles! :) With the sick entrance music, tho!

One-third of the way through, I'm enjoying this match, but I'm tentatively waiting to get trolled. 

OK, that R-Truth comedy spot made me laugh. R-Truth does Cloudcuckoolander really well. 

I also laughed at Kofi and Big E. Kofi took someone's soda for sustenance during his ringside rest! Classic. 

Rusev! :)

Those idiots in the League of Nations forgot to summarily pick Roman up, put him in the ring, and dump him back out over the top rope. Why did they let him lay there and then be carted out so that he could come back later/have a claim to never having lost.? I hate to be Comic Book Guy in this thread, but they needed to cover better for that so that it would be logical somehow that Vince and the LoN left Reigns out there. 

Strowman tossing Kane and Show turned him face in my house. Now for the inevitable Strowman/Lesnar showdown in a few minutes!

Owens selling the ass-whipping from earlier was awesome. Dude looked king-sized coming down the aisle. Then he immediately started fighting Styles. Awesome. Owens dumping Styles was a smart way to eliminate him. 

ZAYN! Get some revenge, buddy! I love that Owens makes too many enemies wherever he goes, and it comes back to bite him in the ass down the road.

Say what you will about the smark crowds, but at least they make guys who are basically unknown by the main roster-only fans (like Styles and Zayn) seem important. 

Neville's bump off that discus clothesline was sick.

Mark Henry :(

Brock Lesnar clotheslined through Chris Jericho to hurt Braun Strowman which, damn. 

Crowd died after Brock got eliminated. 

HHH coming out at thirty is going to be some bullshit. Though when he gets cheered because everyone hates Roman, that should be funny.

OK, now that HHH is here, I'll admit that I was secretly hoping Bryan would come out at that spot. I can't seem to quit him, I guess. 

I stopped caring around the time Bray got dumped, but at least the Rumble didn't suck completely for a large part of the match or anything like the past couple years. HHH as champ in 2016 sounds like must-miss television, though, under any circumstances. 

WAIT, COME ON AMBROSE! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! 

Fuck that rebound clothesline though really. 

Aw man, fuck it. 

At least it makes logical sense even if I have absolutely zero desire to see it. WM is probably going to be pretty shitty again from my perspective - since 20, I have enjoyed 21, 24, and 30 as above average. They really don't book these shows for me, I guess. But I mean, it could have been worse!

Wow. They did exactly what I thought they would.

I mean, AJ debuting was cool. Sami returning and tossing Owens was great. But man, this Roman/Authority feud is dead.

Booking this match to promote Roman again was like Disney buying the rights to Star Wars and then just hiring Lucas to write and direct Episode VII anyway.  LEARN A LESSON!

• Like 2

They did some really neat things that got overshadowed by some things that I personally do not care about..  I am probably not alone.  Having Ambrose go the distance was cool.  Great debut from AJ Styles, but we are reminded that AJ, Owens and Zayn are the future.. maybe?  Or is it that they cannot stack up to Hunter and Reigns?

This Mania card isn't looking good at all.  Hunter and Roman will be okay at best.   Lesnar vs. Wyatt is ehhhhh

Okay, bright sides.

They didn't do the thing the crowd would have hated most.

They actually gave us someone to root for in teh finals.

They set up multiple feuds. 

Down Sides:

Trips/Reigns for the belt is... umm, yeah.

Lesnar/Wyatt is only interesting if anyone buys even a little that Wyatt might win.

Why was Jericho in teh forever role and not AJ? 

Things that were bullshit (not even counting the actual winner of the Rumble)

- Big E not being in the Rumble

- Mark Henry being in for 15 seconds

- Them blowing Kofi's elimination

- Rusev being in for less than 90 seconds (though at least he kinda got some shine later)

I know there were other things in the moment but I am tired

• Like 2