DVDVR Message Board

2016 TNA General Thread

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - they could technically not paying him (just like the talent) but if they don't one would assume it makes it a lot easier for Billy to win his lawsuit

I have this terrible notion they think they can not pay him and it will just all work out somehow....just like now.

Dear fucking god, is TNA undead and that's why nothing normal works at killing it?

So the more I think on it, yes TNA is the undead. It takes the opposite effect to have desired impacts. This is why when TNA started getting good, ratings dropped. I'm calling it now - TNA is going to have an episode of nothing but 4*+ matches and awesome skits and that will be the final episode with like a .1 rating.

I'm just genuinely glad the guys I love are no longer there and don't have to deal with this garbage.  I sort of want to believe they foresaw crap like this, but dunno.  It just seems like all the good workers, the guys who made me want to watch TNA, got out just in time before all this nonsense started.

More notes from Dave from the radio show

- In theory - everyone will start getting paid today. Anthem wasn't putting money in until the injunction was settled. (At least the wrestlers)

- Basically if the company was sold - Billy was entitled to a "premium sale price" payout. ($2.7 million) Anthem apparently doesn't want to pay him that and that is why they are just trying to pay him what he put in. That amount is $1.8 million and 6% interest. Most likely they will not settle and Billy has said he will continue with his lawsuit.

- Bennett and Maria were the only ones to say things publicly but behind the scenes most of the wrestlers were disappointed in the result as they thought Corgan was really the last chance to salvage the company. Dave says Bennett should have just said stuff to his friends not on Twitter because now becomes the time when the bookers start becoming petty.

- The Nazis planned on if they got control on taping MONTHS at a time to save money. Dave is unsure what Anthem's plan will be but that is probably still on the table.

- The still have no plans on touring the UK or India so who knows what will happen with those contracts

- The reason Dixie has agreed to give up most of her shares is because Anthem will cover her debt and she keeps her job. Not sure if she will remain an on screen position.

By Mike Johnson on 2016-11-01 07:21:00
Challenge in Great Britain, the digital cable channel that had been airing TNA programming for years, announced this morning that as of January 2017, they would no longer be working with the promotion. 

The loss of the deal, unless TNA has something better to replace it with, is going to be a massiv blow to the company.  Challenge was considered to be the number two licensee to the company, second only to the company's India TV deal with Sony Six.  The loss has to be seen as catastrophic given that the Challenge deal was the springboard TNA utilized to run Europe annually for what was generally considered the biggest week of the TNA calendar. 

Challenge had aired not only Impact but TNA PPV events, Xplosion and original TNA programming including several seasons of reality series British Bootcamp, which introduced Rockstar Spud and Grado, among others, to the promotion as well as provided TV exposure for Noam Dar, El Ligero and others. 

A statement on the Challenge TV website noted, "We know that many TNA fans will be disappointed to hear this, but we wanted to let you all know that as of January 2017, Challenge will no longer be the home of TNA in the UK. TNA has been a huge and important part of Challenge’s story over the years and we will treasure some great moments like the British Bootcamp and UK tours. We have been proud to bring UK viewers coverage of TNA and have huge respect for the company and its fans. TNA is packed with great talent and we know they will continue to do great things – we wish them all the best."

Challenge had been working with TNA as far back as 2011 and last signed a deal with the company in January 2014, at which point TNA Impact was described as, "one of the top performing programmes on Challenge" and "the most watched weekly wrestling programme in the UK." 

As previously reported on PWInsider.com, the annual TNA tour of Great Britain will not be taking place this January.  It will be the first time since 2008 that he promotion has not run that annual tour.

Obviously, there has been no statement from TNA as of this writing.

• Like 1

When Maria was telling people on Twitter that she is leaving the business in a couple months, did they have to lock the windows to prevent Mike Bennett from jumping out of them.  He has to realize that once her career is over that his career is over.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Z said:

I hope someone turns the whole story of TNA into a big Hollywood movie one day. This mess is so entertaining.

But it's not really fun to watch, is it?

It's just kinda pitiful.

Christ. Just do us all a favour and end this shit already.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hammerva said:

When Maria was telling people on Twitter that she is leaving the business in a couple months, did they have to lock the windows to prevent Mike Bennett from jumping out of them.  He has to realize that once her career is over that his career is over.  

Hey, at least Maria is being honest about what she thinks. 

She isn't deluding herself. 

Everyone deluding themselves is how TNA got into this mess in the first place.

And Maria flat out said the reason she has been getting her degrees is so she can get out of wrestling

Now they way should said it - she basically said she wasn't leaving until she completed her Master's so she ain't going anywhere anytime soon

Come on now, we know that they're going to get some kind of miraculous last minute deal that will keep them afloat.  TNA will survive longer than the cockroaches and twinkies.

Personally, I'm really skeptical that Billy would be the savior of TNA.  To be fair, the company is in an untenable position so I'm not sure anyone could really "save" it at this point.  They've basically failed at being an alternative to WWE, and they don't seem to have much interest in existing as a local indy.  And, considering they've never been able to draw paying crowds or convince fans to spend money on company merchadise, DVDS, PPV's, etc., maybe they wouldn't be able to exist as an indy.  The large indys live off DVDs sales and TNA never managed to develop that into a stable revenue stream either.

Basically, they're an wrestling promotion with a TV contract but no brand identity to draw viewers to said TV slot.

Billy acted like he had plans, but the only concrete idea he put out was rebranding (definitely a good idea).  At one point, he said his goal was to turn TNA into a company not content to live in WWE's shadow,  I rolled my eyes at that one.  No one involved in the company set out with the idea of being content to live in WWE's shadow.  Jarrets thought they could offer a viable alternative to WWE.  Dixie thought she could compete with WWE.  Hogan and Bischoff definitely thought they could compete (remember the 2nd Monday Night War?  Or did you sneeze and miss it entirely?).   Don West, AJ Styles, Borash, and all the various bookers they've had over the years believed they could carve out an audience.

They were all wrong.  Chalk it up to a combination of bad luck, bad timing, bad creative decisions, lack of money, lack of network support, etc.  The reality is that WWE has a stranglehold on the industry where it may not be feasible for a true #2 to exist.  All Corgan really did when he said they weren't going to live in WWE's shadow was trot out the same "rah-rah" speech that the other guys in charge gave talent.

I don't know that he couldn't succeed.  He obviously has more money to pump into the company than Dixie did.  But he also managed to blunder into a situation that made him look like a clueless money mark outwitted by the slick Dixie Carter.  And I doubt Dixie is really as much a con man (con person) as most people assume she is.  IMO, the stuff revealed in the lawsuit documents made Billy look almost as bad as Dixie.  If he'd done his due dilligence, he could have avoided a lot of this.  So either he really is a clueless money mark, or he trusted his various attorneys and accountants and they let him down.

Neither scenario makes me think he could turn around a failing company.

Challenge cancelling TNA is a major blow to them.  There's always the chance some other station would inexplicably pick them up, but considering they were once more popular in the UK than US that's pretty telling.  Don't know how long Sony Six has them, but even if they keep them and Pop drops TNA there's no way they can stay afloat.  It'd be insane for any station to pick them up, which is a shame because their shows have been pretty good this year.

• Like 1