DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

I've always hated the "If Barry had Emmitt's line," talk.  Barry Sanders' offensive line wasn't terrible, and his running style undermined his offensive line's blocking assignments.  Emmitt Smith did play behind one of the best offensive lines ever, but he was also really fucking good.  Barry's offensive line was merely good, but his running style made them look worse than what they were.  He spent a lot of time running away from they were blocking.  I do want to know what he would have been like in Kubiak's zone blocking scheme.  He could have been incredible in a scheme where the blocking scheme was more of an abstract concept than a concrete concept.

Hit the nail on the head.  People act like Barry had the worst offensive line ever and anyone who played in Dallas could have been Emmitt Smith.

The Derrick Lassic penny-pinching venture disproved the plug and play "anyone" part. Although I do wonder how Jerry getting burned so badly by refusing to initially pay Emmitt (and the Cowboys starting 0-2 in '93 for his troubles) forever warped his perspective on re-signing his own players. Marion Barbarian immediately comes to mind as a niche style of runner that got lead back money. No middle ground with a hack GM I guess. Sure he finally figured it out with Murray but that's a lot of overpaid chumps killing your cap with dead money year after year for GM Skeletor to finally grasp his liver-spotted claws around the bigger picture. Edited by FluffSnackwell

I look at like this:  Sanders was the better pure runner.  Smith was the better overall player.

Emmitt will never get as much credit as he deserves for his blitz pickup ability.

I still remember it very unfondly :)

Houston and Las Vegas will play on 11/21 in Mexico City, per NFL.com

Las Vegas?

Dolfan being snarky about the Raiders moving there

The Texans are the ones giving up the home game

• Like 1

HA!

Per Schefter - the Raiders are the ones giving up the home game.

God that is amazing - since two days ago when the story was coming out, the whole reason the game was happening was because the Texans requested it to build up their fanbase in Mexico

Man - now that Al Davis is dead the NFL sure loves bending the Raiders over

So I just saw Gronk apparently dry humping a host on Fox Sports and it was greeted with laughter but let Cam Newton do a little end zone dance and it's the end of the world. Racist fucking media.

To be fair, the host asked/insisted he do it.  She brought up 'Magic Mike' or something and told him to do it.  It's not like he randomly started grinding her at his own behest, which is the weird way I saw some outlets describing it.  I mean, it's still weird an all.

The problem is that it's going to fit right into the narrative that certain Hot Takers want this to fit in.

I knew before the game Denver's defense was legit, and they just played their best game of the season. Carolina was forced to play left-handed on offense the entire game, and it showed.

Sulking away like a petulant child pretty much is not being in control of your emotions.

I'm not Cam or his psychologist but it probably is one of two things.

(1. He was about to cry and didn't wanna do it in front of everybody. Understandable.

(2. He was extremely frustrated and knew he couldn't speak the honest truth - his teammates as a whole let him down, particularly the WRs who repeatedly had balls put right in their hands that they dropped - and he ragequit instead of nuking all the good work the franchise has done by saying "well, nobody kept me upright and while I didn't play my best game ever, it would be nice if I had some fucking help". Less understandable but understandable all the same.

I guess "he's a petulant child" is a valid option. Maybe he had to take a shit super bad. We will never know. We do know this doesn't deserve an eighth of the attention this will get.