DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I didn't even think about Jericho until he was just mentioned. It's like not even thinking about Sheamus and the MitB contract when Rollins first went down.

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

God, the sense of dread that came over me when you mentioned Jericho.

I never had that burnout on him before, but I guess I've finally hit the wall.

original.jpg

Totally incidental. I'm not a pun guy.

Random pet peeve: New Japan having an Intercontinental Championship.

The WWE Intercontinental Championship came about (in kayfabe) from WWF North American Champion Pat Patterson winning a tournament in Rio and unifying the North and South American Championships, thus creating the "Inter-Continental" Championship. The Intercontinental Champion in WWE (if you follow the origin story of the championship) is the champion of North and South America. This is also a reason why the IC Title should clearly outrank the US Title but that's a different story. 

What is "Inter" Continental about the IWGP IC Championship? What continents are you champion of? If you say all of them then you're saying that the IC Champion is equal to the World Champion. 

I'm pretty sure the entire idea behind NJPW's IC Title is that it's equal to the World Title. The main event of WrestleKingdom 8 was between Tanahashi & Nakamura for the IC Title, and the semi-main was for the IWGP Heavyweight Title with Okada and Naito. They're having this discussion on Wreddit, kind of. Since Yoshitatsu flat out said he doesn't care about the Intercontinental title last night/this morning on commentary.

Random pet peeve: New Japan having an Intercontinental Championship.

The WWE Intercontinental Championship came about (in kayfabe) from WWF North American Champion Pat Patterson winning a tournament in Rio and unifying the North and South American Championships, thus creating the "Inter-Continental" Championship. The Intercontinental Champion in WWE (if you follow the origin story of the championship) is the champion of North and South America. This is also a reason why the IC Title should clearly outrank the US Title but that's a different story. 

What is "Inter" Continental about the IWGP IC Championship? What continents are you champion of? If you say all of them then you're saying that the IC Champion is equal to the World Champion. 

The title was originally created in 2010 when NJPW was supposed to start running several US shows using Fat Frank's licence and promoted by JAPW, called Invasion Tour, done in 2011.  The tournament to crowd the first champion was done in the US, specifically, Rahway, NYC, and Philly, with MVP beating Yano for the belt.  The tour was pretty much what caused JAPW to shut down for 2 years afterwards, and why NJPW didn't come back until the RoH deal.

So the continents in question are North America and Asia, as it was supposed to be the belt that jumped back and forth.,

I'm pretty sure the entire idea behind NJPW's IC Title is that it's equal to the World Title. The main event of WrestleKingdom 8 was between Tanahashi & Nakamura for the IC Title, and the semi-main was for the IWGP Heavyweight Title with Okada and Naito. They're having this discussion on Wreddit, kind of. Since Yoshitatsu flat out said he doesn't care about the Intercontinental title last night/this morning on commentary.

That was a double problem of Nakamura elevating the title just by holding it, Tanahashi being in that match, and the fans shitting on Naito's push that year and voting to switch the title matches position.  

The North America + Asia thing makes sense. It's at least better than random indies having an Intercontinental Championship. 

I also wish that WWE actually talked about the kayfabe history of the Intercontinental Championship, especially since the name is supposed to represent the merging of the North and South American Championships. I'm surprised that WWE.com hasn't invented a fake lineage for the South American Championship since that seems right up their alley.

First off - the NJ guys given notice has been brought up in two other threads so we can not worry about that here.

That being said - I really feel like we are due for the massive rounds of layoffs soon since there is a lot of dead weight that probably needs to get moved so new folks can get called up.

If I was Fandango - I wouldn't answer my phone

• Like 1

When was the last time WWE ran a show in Antarctica?

Wrestling in Antarctica sounds like the kind of bullshit Hulk Hogan would come up with. I wonder why he wasn't at the Metallica Antarctica show.

Cause they ended up hiring Roman Trujillo to play bass instead

• Like 1

If Bryan isn't going to be in the Rumble, they should definitely have him come out and say it ahead of time. Otherwise, they run the risk of some dodos booing every entry no matter how good they are.

It's Florida, I wouldn't worry too much.

First off - the NJ guys given notice has been brought up in two other threads so we can not worry about that here.

That being said - I really feel like we are due for the massive rounds of layoffs soon since there is a lot of dead weight that probably needs to get moved so new folks can get called up.

If I was Fandango - I wouldn't answer my phone

Is Adam Rose saved by that ESPN special that basically showed that he'd be fucked if they fired him?

I'd suggest that until we know more, the general thread is the place to talk about it. People outside of the Japan threads will be interested, and since any WWE/NXT talk for any of them will be purely speculative unless and until there's some strong indicators (or an announcement) that they've signed.

If that's a no, then this isn't my hill to die on, and I won't say more, but I'm just sayin'...

What would the reaction be if DB won the Rumble and then lost to Reigns at Mania?

If you turn Reigns and throw in a handshake with Vince and/or Hunter a la Mania 17, I think it'd make him a ME heel for years, and it'd give you ready-made feuds with Ambrose and a returning Rollins.

If they insist on Reigns being nu-Cena and trying once again to have him go over Bryan as a "See? He's better than the guy you like you dumb smarks" it'll work about as well as it did before.

• Like 2