DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

When did Vince McMahon reach such bizarre levels of cartoon villain for some in the IWC? And why?

All the JR stuff or maybe the incest ideas?

While I certainly understand the problem with that, I don't understand why anyone would think that Vince McMahon, former WWF and ECW Champion and Royal Rumble winner, stepping into a ring is somehow a rib on anyone. That takes so many leaps in logic that it's incredible. He's not some over the top evil caricature for crying out loud. One of my biggest problems with the IWC is the casting of Vince McMahon as some cosmic villain. He has a lot of flaws and there are plenty of things to call him out for, especially given the product lately, that we don't need to start making up shit.  

• Like 1

And to think that he would be TNA champion if the India tour happened...

TNA's not even stupid enough to put the belt on Shera.  Maybe.  They are really stupid.

They were only supposed to redo the first round of the single elimination portion in India.  The rest of it was probably going to finish in England.

Lawler/Miz was great.  Lawler carried Miz and Riley.  The transition to Lawler/Cole is when everything went to shit.

Luther Lindsay died in the ring.  Had a massive heart attack and died on top of his opponent as he got the pin.

When did Vince McMahon reach such bizarre levels of cartoon villain for some in the IWC? And why?

While I certainly understand the problem with that, I don't understand why anyone would think that Vince McMahon, former WWF and ECW Champion and Royal Rumble winner, stepping into a ring is somehow a rib on anyone. That takes so many leaps in logic that it's incredible. He's not some over the top evil caricature for crying out loud. One of my biggest problems with the IWC is the casting of Vince McMahon as some cosmic villain. He has a lot of flaws and there are plenty of things to call him out for, especially given the product lately, that we don't need to start making up shit.  

There is a subset of the IWC that thinks absolutely everything that happens in wrestling has 9 layers of subtext and is an inside reference or conspiracy. It's like they just make up their own storylines to have stuff to complain about. Kind of like the people who say they haven't watched WWE for 13 years yet know all the talent and results because they follow it for the politics.

• Like 1

Yeah I don't think King's age/heart is what keeps him out of WWE rings. They haven't really wanted to use him as an in ring performer for about 20 years now. Certainly not a regular or even semi-regular competitor. It's more his style was always way out of place in WWE, and he's an announcer to the audience, not a wrestler who should be in the ring making full time talent look bad.

Well, when they were trying to recreate Edge's first title run (in Miz' title run) they put Lawler in the Flair 'feud with a Legend and have a Ladder match for no reason' spot. It didn't go too well.

What do you mean it didn't go too well? That match was awesome. Probably one of the top WWE matches that year.

• Like 4

Yeah, the Lawler match that didn't go too well was well after the Miz match (he even worked house shows after that) - he was working a tag with Orton against Punk and Dolph the night of the heart attack. He'd been working an angle with heel champ Punk, IIRC.

And the idea that Vince is trolling anyone who retired under the age of 70 is very, very ridiculous. 

• Like 1

There is a subset of the IWC that thinks absolutely everything that happens in wrestling has 9 layers of subtext and is an inside reference or conspiracy.
You mean like how Vince airs his private grievances with people on his tv product?

And I asked if it was a rib because of how weird wrestling is that maybe it could be. If it's not, ok. It's just something I could see being possible because of all the weird things they have done. Look at all the crap they did to JR.

How many other people get mad at people sneezing, wants guys to fight him because he's testing them, and wanted to do an incest angle with his own children on tv? Vince is a weird guy.

Yeah I don't think King's age/heart is what keeps him out of WWE rings. They haven't really wanted to use him as an in ring performer for about 20 years now. Certainly not a regular or even semi-regular competitor. It's more his style was always way out of place in WWE, and he's an announcer to the audience, not a wrestler who should be in the ring making full time talent look bad.

Well, when they were trying to recreate Edge's first title run (in Miz' title run) they put Lawler in the Flair 'feud with a Legend and have a Ladder match for no reason' spot. It didn't go too well.

What do you mean it didn't go too well? That match was awesome. Probably one of the top WWE matches that year.

Recreating Edge's title run with Miz didn't go too well. 

Let's see...........he dropped the 13 year bombshell about a week or two ago right? Meaning that the last RAW he saw may have been in December 02, right?

The main event of the December 23, 2002 RAW?

Jerry Lawler & Jim Ross vs. Lance Storm & William Regal

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW! 

• Like 2

I would disagree. He just was in better shape, so it seemed like he must have cared more. In ring, he was as dull as ever.

That's just, like, your opinion, man...

But really. It had nothing to do with his physique. He was all fire in the ring and his promos were fantastic. I get that a lot of that is just that LU is the best written and produced wrestling show on TV, but so much of that was El Patron putting the work in.

Even Austin, who NEVER buries people on his show but would cut off people when they were too high in praise for del Rio, came around and was talking about what great work the guy was doing. He also made the, well, completely accurate observation that what cut off del Rio in WWE is the 50/50 in-ring booking and the directionless creative.

I don't know. He didn't do shit for me anywhere outside of WWE. Or IN WWE. And he returned to WWE, had the super hot crowd dead in about a minute because he was doing rest holds 60 seconds into a 7 minute match. And it was like he never left.

Alberto: If he's a vicious heel, he works. If he's getting thrown through a window and hot on the trail of his enemy, he works. But there's no blood and fire in between and that's where he bores everyone. He's one of those "all in or nothing" guys that will never work in WWE. If you put him in EMLL back in the '80s he'd be a legend.

• Like 1

You mean like how he revs them up with the SI wind up NOW despite being a heel who hates Americans and American crowds? His psychology has always bugged me. Spend the whole match kicking in the head/gut to set up...an armbar. Same with Flair spending 90% of his offense working over the arm to set up the figure four, and almost always going after the wrong leg if he was actually going to do more leg work than a chop block.

The problem is just the WWE style in general. Guys leave the WWE and they suddenly look rejuvenated. They come back and they have to wrestle that style again and they look like all the life has been sucked out of them.

I honestly don't get why Del Rio isn't using the cross arm breaker as his finisher. If he came back in that match with Cena and sent Cena away with a "broken arm" that would have done way more for him than a flash pin. Hell, rememeber way back when Orndorf supposedly injured Hogan with a piledriver and suddenly he took his theme music and everything. The WWE should be ripping themselves off from the 80's. Screw all this attitude era bullshit they try to keep doing.

• Like 1