DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'll throw in a vote for Bray Wyatt. I really think he's better suited as the manager and mouthpiece for the rest of the family. Once he gets in the ring and usually loses his big feuds, the aura is gone.

He went to the wrong company to make a name for himself. It's sad there are no territories anymore because a Wyatt family roaming around the country like Kevin Sullivan used to in a never ending feud with someone would be pretty damn amazing. Get some old timer to be the Purple Haze Mark Lewin of the group and Bray can carve a path of terror across the land. But in the WWE he has to be fodder for the big hero no matter what. He can never get the ultimate win.

The original answer of Alberto Del Rio and the seemingly popular answer of Bray Wyatt both have one thing in common: WWE. Obviously. Alberto was on fire before he came back, and Bray is just a victim of WWE. He's plenty awesome in the ring, the only problem is he doesn't win when it really matters.

I think Sid is the real answer, but even he was booked pretty well in a limited appearances for ECW. Arrive. Chokeslam. Powerbomb. Leave.

(what music did Sid use in ECW, anyway?)

• Like 1

Man, I thought Del Rio looked awful in his time off from WWE. Like he just did not give a shit at all and was just waiting to go back to WWE where he...promptly looked like he didn't give a shit at all. In particular, his match with Jay Lethal was absolutely awful. He put in absolutely no effort and somehow managed to look worse than Jay Lethal.

Robbie E has always been a solid to good Wrestler, but he's always had terrible music. Intentionally terrible, mind. His douchey guy gimmick needed him coming out to an awful tune. Good Wrestlers with terrible music? Well, Mahabali Shera's tune isn't actually that good, but his in-ring is so bad, it still counts.

• Like 1

Is Vince being in the ring next week a rib on Lawler?

How's it a rib?

Vince can still go out there and he's older than Jerry, who can't because of the risk factor after the heart attack.

In that case, would it also be a rib on guys like Arn Anderson and Dean Malenko who despite being younger than Vince also can't wrestle because of various maladies? 

Is Vince being in the ring next week a rib on Lawler?

How's it a rib?

Vince can still go out there and he's older than Jerry, who can't because of the risk factor after the heart attack.

In that case, would it also be a rib on guys like Arn Anderson and Dean Malenko who despite being younger than Vince also can't wrestle because of various maladies? 

I'm actually curious about this now. Lawler wrestles pretty much every weekend on the indies. If he's at risk for a heart attack, does he have to sign some sort of liability waiver with every local promoter he deals with? On Reddit the other day someone posted a pic of a match he just had against Bill Dundee very recently (possibly in the last two weeks) and he looked fine. Dundee on the other hand should not be wrestling in just black shorts and white cowboy boots.

As for Arn and Dean, Arn probably has a spinebuster or two left in him. Didn't Dean wrestle a try out match with Sin Cara/Mistico just before they signed him that sealed the deal? I'd love to see Dean super gutbuster any number of people.

Yeah I don't think King's age/heart is what keeps him out of WWE rings. They haven't really wanted to use him as an in ring performer for about 20 years now. Certainly not a regular or even semi-regular competitor. It's more his style was always way out of place in WWE, and he's an announcer to the audience, not a wrestler who should be in the ring making full time talent look bad.

Man, I thought Del Rio looked awful in his time off from WWE. Like he just did not give a shit at all and was just waiting to go back to WWE where he...promptly looked like he didn't give a shit at all. In particular, his match with Jay Lethal was absolutely awful. He put in absolutely no effort and somehow managed to look worse than Jay Lethal.

I'd forgotten he even did any ROH stuff before he came back. He was on fire in Lucha Underground. Top to bottom doing everything right.

• Like 1

"How's it a rib?" still stand, I think. WHY would it be a specific jab at King, when Vince has been getting in the ring with everyone he's wanted to establish as the top guy for 15 years now?

Because it's the kind of petty, self-aggrandizing jab he's shown he isn't above resorting to doing? 

"How's it a rib?" still stand, I think. WHY would it be a specific jab at King, when Vince has been getting in the ring with everyone he's wanted to establish as the top guy for 15 years now?

Vince out there performing in front of two guys who I'm under the impression can't wrestle any more, just feels like it could be a rib towards them. I'm not saying it was, just from all the weird crap you hear about Vince, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in some way a knock at Jerry not being able to go out there (ok didn't know Jerry was still doing shows after the heart attack) and Vince kind of rubbing it in his face a bit because he's older and still can.

Does Vince have to pass any testing to go out there? Seems weird they won't let Danielson out there, but drug addict, senior citizen with bad knees, sure.

Yeah I don't think King's age/heart is what keeps him out of WWE rings. They haven't really wanted to use him as an in ring performer for about 20 years now. Certainly not a regular or even semi-regular competitor. It's more his style was always way out of place in WWE, and he's an announcer to the audience, not a wrestler who should be in the ring making full time talent look bad.

Well, when they were trying to recreate Edge's first title run (in Miz' title run) they put Lawler in the Flair 'feud with a Legend and have a Ladder match for no reason' spot. It didn't go too well.

I realize that some here like to bash Vince personally but this all seems like a stretch guys..............

This is a company that kept around a production assistant that called out John Cena's street cred. These people are weird.

I realize that some here like to bash Vince personally but this all seems like a stretch guys..............

It's more than a stretch. This is some full on Wreddit level dumb shit. Vince McMahon, owner of the company who has personally gotten physically involved in the ring with his stop stars since 1997, now decides he wants to be a guest referee for a match with the guy he wants to be the top star as a direct and personal insult to his people he employs as announcers, one of which who doesn't even work on Raw anymore.

This is dumb as shit even for the smarkiest of smarks.

• Like 4

You could probably go back to when he killed off the territorial system of wrestling and poached all the big names from the AWA back in the 1980s.  The regulars of rec.sport.pro-wrestling on Usenet back in the early 1990s didn't hold him in especially high regard.

• Like 1