DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I hadn't seen that Fact or Fiction thing in a while. It originally aired on Fox in the late 90's. The part I loved about it is clearly the guy with the ancient Egyptian pharaoh gimmick is a heel but somehow he's the face? And here's Terry Funk working an all American Dusty Rhodes-esq hard times gimmick from Detroit no less and he's the heel?

We could believe Funk's character gives his opponent a "real" DDT and breaks his neck. But from what I remember, it was fiction. It's BS to wrestle 20 mins with a dead guy and not notice no matter how pumped you are.

The weirdest part was how set it was for Funk to be the babyface. The All-American guy who had never beaten the monster heel was in his last match. It's classic booking. 

It was probably one of the more obvious fiction bits from the show. Pro wrestling requires WAY too much cooperation for you to be able to throw around what is basically dead weight for 20 minutes. 

At 70, Vince will be the oldest person to ever perform in WWE ring correct? Someone has been older and done it elsewhere in the world though right? I kinda recall a discussion about someone being 90 doing a headscissors or something equally insane for a senior citizen.

I believe the unnamed guy in your example is Robbie Ellis, who if I recall, did a Sliced Bread #2 in Chikara.

At 70, Vince will be the oldest person to ever perform in WWE ring correct? Someone has been older and done it elsewhere in the world though right? I kinda recall a discussion about someone being 90 doing a headscissors or something equally insane for a senior citizen.

I believe the unnamed guy in your example is Robbie Ellis, who if I recall, did a Sliced Bread #2 in Chikara.

Is he older than Johnny Saint?  I know Saint appeared in a couple King of Trios/Tag Grand Prix events.

Is he older than Johnny Saint? I know Saint appeared in a couple King of Trios/Tag Grand Prix events.

Ellis is 72. Saint is 74.

Which wrestler, in y'alls views, has the biggest gap between how awesome their entrance music is and how awesome they are in ring, both presently and all-time?

Right now, it's Alberto del Rio, who has admittedly improved ever since Roman willed him to a good match at Survivor Series. Still, he has maybe the best entrance music in the company, and it's all ruined when it stops and now I have to watch him wrestle.

All-time...I'd have to think about that one a bit longer, actually. 

Which wrestler, in y'alls views, has the biggest gap between how awesome their entrance music is and how awesome they are in ring, both presently and all-time?

Sandman? Actually, a lot of old school ECW guys for that matter.

I think they finally figured Joe's theme out, but for a couple months after his debut, he was a good candidate for best wrestler with the shittiest music. I guess currently, Cesaro would have that honor? In the other direction, I like Sheamus' theme, but I never want to see anything he does after he comes out. And Jack Swagger's theme definitely should've gone to Cesaro too.

Gangrel and Riley are both good shouts for all time. Dennis Knight got the benefit of Taker's cool-ass Ministry theme for a bit. Mongo got the benefit of the 96/97 Horsemen music. Stevie Ray leeched off the Harlem Heat and original NWO themes. 98 Marc Mero and pre-Evolution Batista deserve mention too.

Good wrestlers that got stuck with bad themes? I guess depending on you feel about ironically enjoying bad music, Regal's "man's man" theme and the Steiners WCW theme should be mentioned. Finlay getting the happy Hornswoggle music was pretty bad too. The X-Factor theme was so bad, it's still a huge gap from X-Pac and Albert (maybe not Justin Credible tho). Rey should've had better WCW music than the recycled Zodiac theme, and certainly better than what he had in the Filthy Animals days.