DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I just used the Wii Shop on the Wii to buy DKC a week ago, so yep, it's up. I also streamed Netflix through it a couple of weeks ago. You're good. 

Re: R+C, the best part of the game begins in Challenge Mode when the Omega guns open up and the whole game is about getting a 20X multiplier on bolts and maintaining it. So much fun. 

Plus this game has some of my favorite puzzles in a game with those lock puzzles. I really quite enjoyed them.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I would freak the fuck out if they actually listened and we got a Fire Pro with online support (matches AND sharing). Can you imagine some sort of move editor? 

Even though WWE 2K has come a long way to being a fun game, Fire Pro still is the king of console wrestling games.

I would never bitch again if it was just a version of R with good online support. Put it on Steam and let the community continue to make it better. Take the money off of that to then help fund a revamp of King of Coliseum. 

Question regarding Dark Souls (original, not sequels):

I played DS2 first, so my experience is with limited amount of respawns for enemies before they disappear.  Is this the same in the DS1?  I haven't experienced this despite farming for Green Titanite in the Depths without encountering it.

Okay, so the higher level Getaway Fixer Contracts are a pain in my ass.  The object is to pray that the millions of enemy vehicles the game sends at you do not smash your car before you evade them and pick your way to the dropoff point.   Com Jammers are your best friends...  Make sure you have the max number and are able to craft more on the fly while you are behind the wheel.

And don't forget that you can kill the engine and hide in your car!

If your getaway enemies are police rather than Viceroys or Club thugs, it's even worse.  More than likely there will be a police chopper spotting for the ground units.  

Try to outrun the chopper on straight roads or confuse the pilot by using side streets and alleys and use Hide in Car but if worse comes to worse, you can always use your Disable Helicopter hack if you have the battery life in the Profiler.

Problem with that is that the camera sucks when you are driving, so you may have to get out of your car to use the hack and there is a sniper on board the police heli.

I was going to post this in the PSN deals thread, but it appears to have been closed: There's a big Spring Flash Sale going on right now. I spent fifteen bucks for Bully, The Order: 1886. and Metro 2033 Redux. Not bad.

1 minute ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I was going to post this in the PSN deals thread, but it appears to have been closed: There's a big Spring Flash Sale going on right now. I spent fifteen bucks for Bully, The Order: 1886. and Metro 2033 Redux. Not bad.

I'm going to be getting Bully, The Mark Of Kri, Rise of the Kasai and Manhunt. PSN Sales are Steam Sales but on consoles.

Yeah, they're not bad sales at all! I was sad that there really wasn't anything for me on VITA, but if you have one, the Rockstar Collection is a steal, and I guess Lego Pirates of the Caribbean at two bucks and fifty cents is alright, too. 

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yeah, they're not bad sales at all! I was sad that there really wasn't anything for me on VITA, but if you have one, the Rockstar Collection is a steal, and I guess Lego Pirates of the Caribbean at two bucks and fifty cents is alright, too. 

The Dracula X Chronicles for 2.25 is insane.

I forgot about Dracula X Chronicles. Good call.

Quick impressions of The Order: 1886 -

So it's a mediocre cover shooter that you have to wait through fifteen minute cutscenes to get to play. Then you do some mediocre cover shooting for awhile before more fifteen minute cutscenes about some plot that I don't give a fuck about even though I'm a sucker for alt-Victorian London settings. I could have just popped in Gears of War on my 360, or Kill.Switch on my OG XBox for that matter, and played a better cover shooter without all the jibber jabber. 

Oh, and this game does look good, but not better than inFamous: Second Son, and SS was actually, you know, fun to play. 

Verdict: Not impressed. 

EDIT: Just saw the post about the new thread - oops, I'm a fuck up. Not a surprise, though. 

Is a PS2 Remaster of Bully worth getting, or am I better off just doing a cheap copy of Scholarship Edition on 360 since that's going to have uncompressed audio and extra side stuff?

EDIT: Also, is Street Fighter V worth picking up for $30 used right now as a very casual fighting player? I am well aware that the game is still about 2-3 months from being complete.

Straight up, probably not.

Street Fighter 5 plays like a goddamned dream. The interplay of the fighting and the balance of everything is so very right, especially in the face of how terribly slow and irritating SF4 was at the end.

But unless you're willing to drill and learn and watch pros and make notes and play online and have training partners, I really suspect you won't get a thing out of it. The singleplayer content is insulting. If that's not your thing, stay far away. There are better fighting games for that. Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct (if you have a Windows 10 PC since it sounds like you don't have a xbone) are way way better for having things to do if you're not like picking pro players to watch tape of.

12 minutes ago, BL88 said:

Straight up, probably not.

Street Fighter 5 plays like a goddamned dream. The interplay of the fighting and the balance of everything is so very right, especially in the face of how terribly slow and irritating SF4 was at the end.

But unless you're willing to drill and learn and watch pros and make notes and play online and have training partners, I really suspect you won't get a thing out of it. The singleplayer content is insulting. If that's not your thing, stay far away. There are better fighting games for that. Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct (if you have a Windows 10 PC since it sounds like you don't have a xbone) are way way better for having things to do if you're not like picking pro players to watch tape of.

Good Info. I think I would be into that stuff if my backlog wasn't so large, but it seems like the people I know who are good at SF in the past have been people that pretty much exclusively play that and a handful of other fighting games. I enjoy watching SF tournaments on Twitch and in person and what have you because you can see some fantastic fights when both parties bring their a game.

It's very much similar to years of playing and watching people play in team slayer contests on various versions of Halo.

It's a lovely spring morning outside, but I'm hunkered down inside playing this demo/beta of Wolfenstein 3D. The framerate is a bit slower than the PC version, but otherwise it's really good, much more impressive than other FPS games on the system. Shame it is only the first episode, but at the higher difficulty, there's still a good amount of gameplay to be had here. And it is fully uncensored, unlike the neutered SNES version.

2016-04-22%2021.33.09_zpsrhpdszp3.jpg

• Like 1

I've put about 50 hours into chipping away at Bloodborne over the past month. I've finally managed to get to the last area before the end, clearing out, i think, all of the optional bosses (fuck you Ebrietas). So what do i decide to do? Buy the DLC. Holy crap is it hard. I read that the DLC was harder than the main game anyway but got ridiculously harder with each NG+ so i figured it i was going to do it, might as well be during my first play through. I really struggled against NPC Hunters during the main game and this just keeps throwing them at you. I must have had to kill 10 of them on my way to clearing the first area. The boss smashed me a bunch of times before i finally managed to stagger him and finish him off when we both had next to no health left.

I normally don't go for DLC since they tend to be quickly thrown together or just contain content that should have been in the main game. But this looks like it's worth it so far, completely new areas to explore and a bunch of new enemies to kill me. And new weapons for me to kill them with.

Down to the last 10 Telepathopus brains in Ratchet for the optional upgrade.  I really hate this sort of scavenging quest, because you either use a walkthrough from the word go and don't get to explore, or you find the "easy" ones and a walkthrough is useless for the finale.