DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Yes and no.  Yes to the open racing around LA, but not as much emphasis on tuning as you probably want.

Sadly, no such game really seems to exist.

No, I want a racing game without the tuning emphasis. Where if you want an engine upgrade, you buy Engine Upgrade Level 1, until level 2 unlocks and you can get that instead.

9 hours ago, BL88 said:

The Witness only really has the first person perspective in common. For something more narrative, you'd probably want to look at The Talos Principle first. Although if you have like really pronounced death anxiety, it may take you quite a while to get through Talos Principle.

Just had a quick glance over the story while trying to avoid spoilers. Sounds like a good un, will add it to the list

10 hours ago, AxB said:

No, I want a racing game without the tuning emphasis. Where if you want an engine upgrade, you buy Engine Upgrade Level 1, until level 2 unlocks and you can get that instead.

Oh, then yeah, you want Midnight Club LA.

If you like the racing in GTAV, you'll like Midnight Club LA.   You can do special abilities with the cars (similar to Franklin) and they even reused some of the map from MC LA in GTAV.  The map and markers are similar to GTAV as well.  You can upgrade the cars but it is pretty simple. 

One thing I really liked about the game is that the open world actually seemed alive, with a lot of traffic and pedestrians.  It does get really tough though, you will need to learn shortcuts because of the crappy rubberband AI which gets really annoying.  Also a lot of the story is driven by circuit races where you have to win 2 or 3 races in a row.  So you could be racing for 15-20 minutes and then crash near the end and lose the whole thing.  So I never got too far in the story mode, but I had fun just driving around and doing random races.

BTW if you get it, make sure to get the Complete Edition, which adds a big new South Central area, lowriders, and a bunch more races.  I got it on one of the many Rockstar sales on PSN for $5 2-3 years ago.

Now that I have finished Arkham Knight. My goal is to keep working through my shorter backlog games. I'll probably try and finish the first Uncharted game from the Nathan Drake Collection over the weekend, and maybe transition to the rest of The Last of Us before finishing out the other 2 games.

I also hope to finally knock out the God of War trilogy. I'm debating restarting my GoW 1 save since it's probably been about 8 or so years since i've last touched it. Also, the first 2 games are on PS2, which bums me out that I cannot buy the HD remasters from the PS3 on PSN for my PS4.

On 5/4/2016 at 8:59 PM, jstout said:

So, what's the groupthink on "Battleborn"?

I hates me a first-person shooter, I know that.

I was curious of the same. I played some Overwatch last night and dug it, but Battleborn looks like it will do a better job of scratching the MOBA itch.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I was curious of the same. I played some Overwatch last night and dug it, but Battleborn looks like it will do a better job of scratching the MOBA itch.

I have Overwatch set to download when I get home tonight. I guess my PS4 was not left in Rest Mode last night.

I would really like to know the differences between each. I'm going to rent Battleborn tonight on PS4. I'm going to play the Paragon preview this weekend too.

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I would really like to know the differences between each. I'm going to rent Battleborn tonight on PS4. I'm going to play the Paragon preview this weekend too.

I'm probably not the one to answer that. I've never done the MOBA or much of the MMO stuff. Honestly, Destiny is probably the most time I've ever entered into an MMO.

6 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Oh, then yeah, you want Midnight Club LA.

Dammit - why do I find out about this game AFTER I've gotten rid of my 360 and it's not backwards comparable.

Is there anything on the One comparable to this.  It really does sound like the racing game I've been looking for.

Not too many open world racing games I can think of on the newer systems.

Need for Speed Rivals is ok but it's set in a bland fictional mountain area.  It is pretty arcade because you get different power ups (spikes, roadblocks, etc) and the upgrade system is pretty simple.  The newer game is better but the city is still pretty dull (no pedestrians and barely any traffic).  It is also a lot more emphasis on drifting and tuning your car.  Both are kind of annoying because they are always online and tend to drop out for no reason.

There is The Crew but I didn't play it beyond dinking with the demo for about an hour.  It seems ok.

If Need for Speed: Most Wanted or (especially) Burnout Revenge are backwards compatible, those are fun games.

24 minutes ago, jstout said:

The world cries out for another Road Rash. How awesome would a multiplayer version of that be?

*Knocks Stout off his bike with a baseball bat*

Sorry I didn't mean to!

• Like 2

I'm gonna channel Big Fresh for a second, but saying Overwatch is like a MOBA isn't accurate. MOBAs are about setting your team comp at the start and executing on that composition's strengths. Overwatch lets you change characters whenever, and even lets you double up on characters if that's what you want to do. Overwatch has more in common with Team Fortress than anything else. All they changed about the TF2 formula is that item drops are only cosmetic and the classes have names instead of titles.

also, no one at blizzard tried to describe overwatch as "hobby-grade" so there's that re: differences between battleborn and overwatch

2 hours ago, CSC said:

*Knocks Stout off his bike with a baseball bat*

Sorry I didn't mean to!

If you've still got GTA4, the Lost and Damned races were on bikes, with baseball bats. Online too, that's how I met Havoc. He saw my avatar and thought I might be a sexy gothy biker girl in real life. He was sadly disappointed when I eventually bought a headset.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jstout said:

The world cries out for another Road Rash. How awesome would a multiplayer version of that be?

Road Redemption is on its way, as is  Road Rage.

Neither game seems to say anything about online play. Not real sure about them Kickstarter-funded games like Road Redemption, and the freakin' Road Rage website just tried to put some kind of intrusion software on my computer, so, screw them. Road Rage seems like it might be close, but who in the hell would put out a game like this without online play? Seems like that would be half the fun. Road Rage seems like it may be too story-heavy.

My kid on youtube update: He's still doing it. But he talks in his videos now:

Also, he briefly forgot the difference between a capture card and a shark card (from GTA). Even though he's pretending he doesn't play GTA because he doesn't want his Mum to know ;) . He doesn't just play Skate 3... he's done a bit of Project Cars too. But he'll probably be playing Midnight Club soon (that's why I was asking about it).

• Like 1

Got my Bloodborne platinum today. Despite the fact that I've owned a PS3 since launch and a PS4 for over a year this is the first game I've ever platinumed. It's pretty much all I've played over the past 6 weeks but now i can finally start tackling some more of that pile of shame. Think i'll start Life is Strange tomorrow.

• Like 1