DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Shadow of the Beast PS4 looks really hot, but I'm sure that if I actually tried to play it I'd hate it as much as the original (which looked and sounded gorgeous but was no fun at all, based not just on the shitty Lynx port which is the only one I've played but various retrospectives).

Hey, remember when that was gonna be a Vita game?

5 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Shadow of the Beast PS4 looks really hot, but I'm sure that if I actually tried to play it I'd hate it as much as the original (which looked and sounded gorgeous but was no fun at all, based not just on the shitty Lynx port which is the only one I've played but various retrospectives).

Hey, remember when that was gonna be a Vita game?

Wasn't 16-bit Shadow Of The Beast actually impossible to complete? Or was it the sequel? OR BOTH?!

Uncharted 4 was pretty damn good. Too bad some douchebag on Youtube spoiled the prologue with a stupid thumbnail. Other then that I was able to stay spoiler free for the most part and the story was pretty damn compelling.

Spoiler

I kept waiting for supernatural shit to happen.

The set pieces weren't as impressive as 2 and 3, but the E3 chase trailer was every bit as good as I hoped it would be. 

See if you were buying a shooting game for a 12 year old boy, who's got an Xbox One but not got live, so plays offline... which is better, The Division or Halo 5 (or Halo collection)? And is either of them super-gory, because I don't think his Mum would be down with him playing Doom or something like that (even though he used to play CoD every day in her house when he was 9).

Also, in that situation, is Evolve worth it if it costs the equivalent of $9.85?

Having YOLO or SWAG in your name = Die all the time. Literally encountered a guy called YOLOSWAG_420 once. It did not go well for him.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

What was JT's rule about people's names? If they had xxx or 420 or juggalo, he automatically put them on his kill list?

Juggalo's definitely

If we went by the xxx rule - JT would be on my banned list

We also learned that people with wrestlers names tended to be really shitty at games.

Like American Dragon was the worst Krogan we ever met in ME3 MP

FUCK YEAH! LastFight came out today on Steam. What is LastFight you ask. Oh, it's just Power Stone styled fighting game based on a French comic book and it looks fucking awesome. It should be hitting PSN and XBLA pretty soon too.

IMG_20160519_203512_zpsauym9yvl.jpg

Mail call of a couple of arcade conversions. 

After Burner II is an early release and not as good than the CD version, but the soundtrack is still pretty dope and it's fun to blow shit up qt high speeds. 

Super Smash TV suffers from not having enough buttons as per the 3 button controller.  They try to overcome it by allowing the use of 2 controllers at once, but it never feels quite as good as the SNES version.  But it's still fun mindless ultraviolence, and this is seriously the most mint used game I have ever bought.  I don't think the manual has ever been opened.

Super Smash TV  for the SNES is an amazing game, technically. What it accomplished in terms of speed and numbers of enemies on-screen - all flicker-free - was thought to be impossible. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Gotta try to find a Redbox with Doom in stock so I can see if I want it before the Amazon Prime window closes.

I hear the multi-player is still not great despite the surprisingly great single player, so it may be the ideal game to blow about $10 on a Red Box rental and just play through the campaign. Save yourself the extra item collecting dust.

Never played Uncharted before, so I wound up getting the dual pack for a few bucks just recently off Amazon.  Uncharted 1 is a pile of shit.  Enemies taking a shit ton of shots to kill, getting swarmed by a bunch at the same time and being out of ammo (and it's useless to go run for any of their dropped shit, because you get mowed down while you're doing it.. and the thing that pisses me off most about this game:  If you're in cover, it doesn't matter where the center of your screen is at, when you come out of cover your stupid goddamn crosshair will be way the fuck out of range to shoot the guy you were aiming at.

Is this the same with Uncharted 2 and so on?

No, the series really improved (and peaked, if you don't count 4 (which I haven't played and therefore can't rate)) with the second one. The first one is worth playing on easy if you're finding the combat tricky. Although I didn't have the problems you're describing... have you got your aim sensitivity up too high or something?

Did they take the Sixaxis controls out for the remastered version? Because when the first Uncharted was being made, they really thought that making you hold your joypad perfectly flat was a great game mechanic, to really bring you into the action... like you were actually doing it. So if you tilt the joypad, he falls off the log he was balancing on. That was awful. I blame Nintendo. There was none of that in the sequels, and for bloody good reason.

3 hours ago, Shylock said:

Never played Uncharted before, so I wound up getting the dual pack for a few bucks just recently off Amazon.  Uncharted 1 is a pile of shit.  Enemies taking a shit ton of shots to kill, getting swarmed by a bunch at the same time and being out of ammo (and it's useless to go run for any of their dropped shit, because you get mowed down while you're doing it.. and the thing that pisses me off most about this game:  If you're in cover, it doesn't matter where the center of your screen is at, when you come out of cover your stupid goddamn crosshair will be way the fuck out of range to shoot the guy you were aiming at.

Is this the same with Uncharted 2 and so on?

They fixed a ton of the issues with the second game - big-time. #2 is one of the ten best games I've ever played. 

Another episode of Life is Strange complete, another kick in the nuts! Both episode 3 and 4 are some of the best gaming I've had this year. I'll probably try and get all of episode 5 done on my day off tomorrow since i really want to see how this all turns out.

Finally, after 17 months and an unsettling amount of time, i platinumed Destiny. Took a look and all i was missing were the Flawless Raider and Salvage capture trophies. With so few left to get i decided to knock it out. Got a bit of a taste for trophy hunting after finishing Bloodborne. I'm definitely not looking to 100% everything i play but i may put a bit more effort in if i'm close to beating something than i did in the past. Looking through my list of games, most that i play a lot i'm around 50-60% but so many of them have a bunch of bullshit grindy ones that just don't look fun to do. I'll be picking and choosing my trophy hunts!

• Like 1

I just finished the Telltale Game of Thrones game. This wasn't so bad after all. The ending kind of sucked. I assume they already planned with a sequel, but I have no idea how this will work, since there's so many different ways the game can end. If there's no sequel and this was really THE end, well, then that's bullshit.

Other then that I thought they did a pretty good job in carving out their own little niche in the Game of Thrones universe.

There were some pretty big additions to the lore, especially

Spoiler

the North Grove.

Did George R.R. Martin sign off on this?

I guess I'll watch some Youtube videos to see the other ways the game could have progressed, especially with the major decision in episode 5.