DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Going back to last month's Blizzard Nostalrius shutdown, it looks a lot like Blizzard is reconsidering legacy servers in some way or another. They've had the admins of Nost surveying their userbase, and they and Blizzard are meeting with each other soon.

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Its also going to be for PC, so i might go in that direction. 

You would have to since it is PS4/PC exclusive

Unless you bought a PS4 when I wasn't paying attention

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am gonna laugh if you get a current gen system before JT

Even if he gets one before me, how will you know if he's actually using it?

I am nearing the end of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, which I'll be interested to see if the next two games improve upon some of the camera and platforming issues at points in this series. I'm excited to see how big of a jump Uncharted 2 is from Drake's Fortune because I hear it's the best of the trilogy.

Anyways, I got to what I'm guessing is one of the more polarizing aspects of the game and series, and I think I am going to air a bit on the negative side with it as well.

Spoiler

Was adding Zombie creatures absolutely necessary in this? I mean I know this was released in 2007 and was on the forefront of the lengthy zombie craze we are all enduring now. I had to stop at mission 19 just because the Descendants (according to wiki) or whatever they're called started to drive up my rage meter. 

31 minutes ago, Red is Dead said:

and the last 1/3 of three.

I stopped playing 3, because of what you are talking about here.  It took a game I really liked and just made it a frustrating mess.  

I don't think it's enough of a deterrent to quit playing these games, but I don't think that element was necessary for a series that works really well with the other elements already in play. I mean there is a visceral thrill to this game that you don't get all of the time.

Plus, the game has enough of a logic gap with Nathan supposedly unlocking these areas to unintentionally assist the bad guys from making it into these mysterious areas, but you find you're having to fight these guys logically before they'd have time to make it in there.

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

I don't think it's enough of a deterrent to quit playing these games, but I don't think that element was necessary for a series that works really well with the other elements already in play. I mean there is a visceral thrill to this game that you don't get all of the time.

Plus, the game has enough of a logic gap with Nathan supposedly unlocking these areas to unintentionally assist the bad guys from making it into these mysterious areas, but you find you're having to fight these guys logically before they'd have time to make it in there.

Don't look at my statement as a indictment of the entire series.  I stopped playing 3 when the stupid enemies came around, but I have 4 and plan on finishing it.  Uncharted 2 is probably in my top 10 games ever, but I thought 3 got cheap at the end.

I am in the high-eighties in stars so far about a week into my SMG2 playthrough. 

This game is much easier than the first Galaxy so far, and I had heard that it was more challenging. I chalk it up to having played Galaxy first and struggled with some of the gyro stuff and understanding how to complete the more difficult or off-angle jumps in that game, but understanding how it works much better in SMG2 off the top as a result. The only stuff that really gets me is the Fluzzard levels - and then mostly because of trying to hit the gates to unlock the Comet Medals in those levels. None of this game has anything as terrible as the Dreadnought garbage bomb star or the Battlerock purple coin challenge or the galaxy where you have to roll your sphere across an absurdly challenging level with no checkpoints (Rolling Gizmo?). At least not yet.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are some bullshit green stars when I get to that point in the game, which I am nearing because I've already earned my first star in the sixth world. Overall, though, this game is pretty easy (and some stars seem sort of tacked on - not hard to get to at all). The Prankster Comets are a step down in difficulty in particular. 

Microsoft is releasing almost a million gamertags on Wednesday (2 PM EST/11 AM PST)

Basically it appears that they were names squatted on when the XBOX was created but they never migrated to the 360. So basically people never used them or gave up on Microsoft two generations ago.

While it may be challenging to find the exact Gamertag you want, keep trying, as there are many great Gamertags that will be released.  Although we can’t share the actual list, we can tell you that many of the available Gamertags are in the following categories:

• Proper Names
  • Pop culture references (Entertainment, sports, gaming)
  • Types of Food
  • Geography and Travel
  • Science and Technology
  • Math and Numbers
  • Animals
  • Some of the greatest inventions of all time

Access to these newly-released Gamertags will be available on Xbox.com, which is the most convenient way to make a Gamertag change.  Customers can also access these Gamertags within the Xbox App on Windows 10 and on the Xbox One console.  Xbox 360 customers will need to use Xbox.com, the Xbox App on Windows 10, or an Xbox One console to participate given that access to these newly-released Gamertags is not available from an Xbox 360 console. To change your Gamertag on the web, please visit https://account.xbox.com/changegamertag.

Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2016/05/16/xbox-live-gamertag-release/#Jm35hcLqhxQXec1H.99

Obviously proper names are going to be the hardest

Especially since they are releasing them over a 24 hour period to "give people around the world a fair chance"

I wonder if I can reclaim my initial Xbox Live account from my original Xbox. 

I had changed debit cards a couple of times to verify that info by the time I had set up Xbox Live on my 360.

I hate my handle on there, as I've always sucked at Gamertags. My original XBL handle was "Warrior Angel" as I was really big into Smallville at the time I created that thing in 2004 or whenever that was.

Hell, I hate the Chaos moniker, as that was just a shitty CAW I had in No Mercy back in like 2002 named "Matt Chaos."

I just don't know if I want to go by my real name on here despite that not being hard to figure out or if I want to bother doing a name change at all.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 5:19 PM, odessasteps said:

I have become very intrigued with No Man's Sky. Reading a bunch of the hype articles.

Rippa and I will probably still be playing at least a year after you and Fresh quit... provided that I actually own a next gen system by that time.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Obviously proper names are going to be the hardest

Especially since they are releasing them over a 24 hour period to "give people around the world a fair chance"

So will "xXxWeedSmoker420xXx" be available?