DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

OK, so the upgrade system in Ratchet and Clank is awesome. I love the honeycomb-style mapping and the opportunity to unlock secret special attributes by surrounding them on the upgrade map. 

Unlocking a new weapon and then upgrading it is really satisfying. 

I also love that this is a legitimately challenging game. So much fun. GotY so far, though I need to get deeper into Dark Souls 3 to see if I end up enjoying it as much.

• Like 1

Yeah, stuff like R+C is kinda what I was expecting when I bought a PS4 at launch. 

In other news, I'm finally going to play Shovel Knight. Ten bucks is typically my upper limit for digital games with few exceptions, and as a bonus, it's cross-buy and -save between PS4 and Vita. Not a shabby deal. 

I have too much to play right now, but summer is coming, so I can clear all these games out by mid-September. 

Finished my first playthrough of Wolf Among Us today. Would have been easier if my machine didn't keep locking up on the changes between big scenes.

God - and Bloody Mary already creeped the fuck out of me.

Gonna have to read about all the choices online since I only want to do one more playthrough so I don't want to miss anything.

Plus I am irritated how some of the things turned out.

12 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

OK, so the upgrade system in Ratchet and Clank is awesome. I love the honeycomb-style mapping and the opportunity to unlock secret special attributes by surrounding them on the upgrade map. 

Unlocking a new weapon and then upgrading it is really satisfying. 

I also love that this is a legitimately challenging game. So much fun. GotY so far, though I need to get deeper into Dark Souls 3 to see if I end up enjoying it as much.

I'd recommend grabbing the PS3 Ratchet games, with the possible exception of All-4-One, and the Ratchet Collection--but skip the first game on that.  The original first game feels badly out of place even from the second game (which is where weapon and character XP started--the first game only had one weapon upgrade and Ratchet only had 4 XP with two two-point upgrades). Going Commando is the first game that plays like you'd want it to coming from the new one. I came to the series late, but it's legit probably my favorite PS-exclusive anything ever.

I was playing the new one on hard and then got to this first hoverboard race and was screaming at my TV.   No matter what, the cpu was always four hundredths of a second faster.  I gave it about seven serious attempts.   I couldn't beat they 'gimme' race that you have to win.  Bullshit.  Then I crank it down to normal and they're twenty seconds slower than me.  Horseshit.  I'm also hating how fast this motherfucker drowns.

The hoverboard race's rubberband AI crap is definitely irritating. I just learned that no matter what, you never fall too far behind or can get a big lead, so I saved up my boost until toward the very end, right after the ramp through the mass of boxes in mid-air, and boosted my way from fourth or fifth all the way into first each time. I beat the race on gold on the hardest difficulty on maybe two or three tries using that strategy. 

My son has decided he's a youtuber now. Even though some of his videos are short enough to be vines. And he's filming his telly by propping a tablet against a guitar stand, because Capture cards cost money.

He'll freakout tomorrow morning if he's actually got views.

Downloaded Sunset Overdrive. Other than the base defense stuff, which I hated (well...I've only done one so far, to be fair), it seems like a fun game. 

The movement feels really good, it's oozing with style, and I'm a sucker for a game that has a bunch of really dumb guns. 

Ill have to wait and see if the game's sense of humor grates, though. 

It may grate, but have a sense of humor about it. The game has a healthy sense of non-seriousness.

I noticed Rippa playing it. Is anyone else?It has a really fun co-op/competitive online mode. Base defenses are awesome with eight people raining hot death, though one of them is insanely tough.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

My son has decided he's a youtuber now. Even though some of his videos are short enough to be vines. And he's filming his telly by propping a tablet against a guitar stand, because Capture cards cost money.

He'll freakout tomorrow morning if he's actually got views.

This makes me wish GTA had skateboards now. Damn it. 

Yeah - I played Sunset Overdrive a little yesterday - not enough to make a judgement about it yet.

Did Big Show do mo-cap for them or something because my character looks EXACTLY like him

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - I played Sunset Overdrive a little yesterday - not enough to make a judgement about it yet.

Did Big Show do mo-cap for them or something because my character looks EXACTLY like him

It does take a bit to get used to. .One tip: Keep moving, and try to stay off the ground  as much as possible. It also suffers from the usual thing in most games where most of the guns you can get at the start of the game are a bit underpowered. And just like most games, you become overpowered later on when you get the good guns.

My character is based on El Generico, so ...

The Youtube channels for Watch Dogs are some of the worst around.   There are players who blunder through shit and their "walkthroughs" are taken as the gospel. 

For example, nearly all of the vids that I have seen relating to the break in of the CtOS station in the Wards involve shoot outs with the security guards.  Meanwhile, I was able to sneak in, hack the server, and sneak out totally undetected.  That route there by design, so I have no idea why there are very few vids showing the stealth approach.

I need to make my own Youtube channel or Twitch stream or something and specialize in games that no one plays anymore.

I took a break from gaming over the weekend and my kid has a soccer game this afternoon.   I'll try to get in a bit of trigger time to clean a few more Fixer Contracts off of my map before going further into Act III. 

I finally had a Watch Dogs moment where police involvement actually worked in my favor.  Some punk-ass Samaritan called the cops while I was engaged in a Gang Hideout related gun battle after clubbing out a Viceroy chemist.  I was not fast enough on my Weapon Wheel to bring up my comm jammers before the end of the 911 call and being shot at did not help improve my manual dexterity.. 

I took cover when I heard the approaching sirens and Chicago PD showed up and killed all of the remaining gang bangers.  Black lives do matter if no one drops their firearms, but it is not like the cops gave the Vs the opportunity to surrender.  I waited until the sound of shots fired quieted down and then slipped out by a nearby alleyway.  There were no parked cars so I had to walk a block through the alleys and back streets before I came across a suitable getaway vehicle. 

Mechanically it probably wouldn't have mattered, but I did not steal the nearby police cruiser parked near my location because I figured that a police car heading away from an active crime scene would be conspicuous, especially since there were more incoming police car markers on my mini-map.

It has now gotten to the point where I am spending money again, but I don't craft anything myself unless I have to.  I sell my loot to the Pawn Shop and the Benjamins I make from Fixer Contracts and Bank Account hacking goes to Tobias's black market enterprise conveniently located near my hacker batcave.

I stock up on comm jammers and IEDs and stuff until I am spent down around $50K, and then I start back with subsistence crafting and money syphoning from NPCs with sketchy profiles until I build my cash reserves back above $70K or so.

so I can only halfway vouch for it because I've had it on PC and have been playing it on a 360 controller. I also have to reduce it even further because I've never played a rally game before Dirt Rally and haven't even seen a Rally race before.

So, from my 1/4th Position Of Knowin', Dirt Rally is pretty goddamn good. Driving feels real fast and real, real dangerous. It's also goddamn stunning to look at.

• Like 1