DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Completed 10 chess puzzles in Watch Dogs needed to unlock the last perk on the Focus tree for Aiden.  I'm not a great chess player, but I remembered enough strats to get past the Survival puzzles with few problems.  Poker is still a lot more fun than chess and I totally suck at the Drinking Game and the advanced levels of the Shell Game.  I'm going to have to see if there are some online tips for the mini games that I am horrible at.

Also knocked off my 5th Criminal Convoy (roadside IEDs and traffic jams are still my best friend) and Gang Hideouts (I hate the Goblin assault rifle.  I still use the Silenced 1911 as my primary firearm and break out the AK when the shit hits the fan) and am up to 15 Fixer Contracts complete. 

Finished the 7th mission in Act 1.  Started to get frustrated with the mission until I figured out that activating the cranes and forklifts made enemies go investigate the distractions and wander into Jordi's sniper sights.  Duh...  Suddenly I went from having to stalk six enemies to casually unlocking the gate while Jordi took everyone out.

Two more missions to go before the end of Act 1.

Scored my first Mega Drive cartridge for my recently acquired Genesis.   Perhaps I should have gotten something with less Japanese text, but one of the saves (yes, the battery still works after 20+ years) is at the Dark Sol battle so I can cheese my way to "beat" it.

20160326_165118-1_zpsk1zg9ntk.jpg

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Poker is still a lot more fun than chess and I totally suck at the Drinking Game and the advanced levels of the Shell Game.  I'm going to have to see if there are some online tips for the mini games that I am horrible at.

As someone that's platinum'd Watch Dogs, the drinking game was, by far, the hardest trophy.  I recommend getting a little inebriated yourself - it actually makes it easier to follow along.  No, I'm not kidding, it's how I finally beat it.

• Like 1

Trying to buy XCOM Enemy Unknown Plus on Vita, but PSN won't charge my card for the credit. I do not want to have to go to Gamestop for a PSN card. On the other hand, I am less likely to buy a fifty dollar PSN card than I am to just load up my card twice for XCOM and Civilization Revolution 2. 

Tembo the Badass Elephant is the best Sonic 2D game since S3+K, barring the 2D stanges in Generations. This sounds like a backhanded compliment, but I don't mean it that way. 

Finally managed to scrape and claw my way to the first boss in Bloodborne and somehow killed it on my first try. I get my ass kicked by basic enemies yet kill that thing without an issue. I got kind of lucky falling through a building and landing next to a Madman's Knowledge surrounded by rats which let me start leveling up. I'm enjoying it but i'm not sure how far i'll get with it. I don't get a huge amount of time to play in the evenings and so far it's taking ages to make any real progress. I get it's whole deal is it's hard but with checkpoints so far apart it's not the sort of game i can just jump on and knock out half an hour when i get chance. I'm guessing this wont get any easier either.

54 minutes ago, Neil Koch said:

Have you tried using the PSN web store?  I've had that sort of thing happen a couple of times with my card and it worked fine on the web store.

I actually tried to add cash through Sony Entertainment Network first and then through my Vita second. I can't figure out what's wrong, though. I'll try again later today. 

One more mission to go before I finally complete Watch Dogs Act I.  Hacked Angelo Tucci's niece's phone and nearly shot Aisha Tyler when my Profiler icon drifted by her head and I saw a red tag (MONITORED BY DEDSEC). Nice double Easter Egg!  I saw her cameo in one of the Privacy Invasions after hacking an access box at City Hall, but I didn't expect to see her in the open world chatting it up with NPCs..

Once again, roadside bombs were my friend. Ambushed the Tucci motorcade with IEDs placed along the convoy route at an intersection where I had caused a traffic jam by messing with the traffic signal and partially blocking the road with another car I had wired with an IED. Detonated my bombs and blew up all three of the cars in the convoy at once.  Tucci was killed immediately leaving me to mop up the surviving members of his entourage, so I lobbed in a couple of grenades for good measure.

Explosions killed most of the gunmen (including the reinforcements caller) and I picked off the two remaining enemies with my trusty auto-shotty... 

Had to rescue an injured civilian who panicked and tried to beat the red light just as my bombs went off and he crashed into one of the vehicles in the Tucci convoy.  Looked around and finally found a not-quite-so-damaged vehicle to make my getaway and had to burn a Comm Jammer to shut down a 911 call from a helpful citizen before making my escape.

My strategy worked a bit too well as I killed so many bad guys with explosions that there weren't enough left to attempt to murder four enemies in one burst of Focus and get an achievement. 

I will have to grab a Focus Boost before doing the last mission in Act 1 and pray that there is a huge shoot out.  I'm assuming that there will be since I have to infiltrate the Chicago city lock-up and beat rival fixers to this gang member trying to turn state's on me and what is a video game jail break without a gun battle?. 

I'm all caught up on my investigations but still have a little ways to go.   Still following the trail of this serial killer targeting hemophiliac women and trying to figure out what the deal is with these arms smuggling cops putting guns in the hands of gang bangers.

I finally cracked the code on Interceptor Fixer Contracts.  

Bring your own chase vehicle -> Follow target until you finish downloading the stolen code -> Disable his car with enviro hacks or by ramming the target vehicle -> Run over the target with your car when he tries to flee on foot -> Use enviro hacks on any pursuit vehicles.

I hate the Drinking Game.  My OCD wants to get to Round 10 and be done with it, but my ADD hates waiting for the guy to recover from his drunken stupor in order to go on to the next round.

I've tried to invest most of my skill points into hacking and combat, but I will have to put some points into the Driving skill tree now that I have a lot of Decoy Fixer Contracts available and I know they will force me to try to strive a performance car off road.

I have listened to Maurice Vega's sob story saga on burner phones I've found around the city.  I hate games that try to blunt my sense of poetic justice.   Aiden's daughter was killed by this asshole's actions and now the game is humanizing Vega and I will probably develop a merciful streak and not kill this Vega should the opportunity arrives.

The QR Code hunt is kinda fun.  My real life smartphone can read them off of the HDTV and the messages are pretty hilarious.  Someone really hates DedSec.

Aiden Pearce has grown on me as a protagonist thanks to the flashbacks.  The guy lost his daughter as a result of his criminal lifestyle, so I am finding it perfectly acceptable for him to be grim and bitter during the storyline.  He hates himself as much as he hates the criminals directly responsible for his daughter's death, so I will stick around and help Aiden work out his personal issues and redeem himself and shoot some bad guys in the kneecaps along the way.

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I enjoy the tales of JT convincing himself he likes the game

There are quite a few things I really hate about the game, but getting this off of my Pile of Shame is long overdue.  Anyway.

Completed all of the Privacy Invasions.  I think I need a shower.   If anything will transform you into an advocate against government surveillance, it is this game.

Also done with Act I.  The Prison Break dealie was actually kinda fun. Got two more audio logs for Malcolm Deodato who (according to the Lucky Quinn audio logs I've found via ctOS node hacks) is one of the ctOS developers paid off by Quinn to put the behavioral modification software (Code Name: Bellweather) into ctOS.  I sure hope I run into this guy so I can put plenty of hate bullets into his skull.

I was one shotgun kill shy of getting the Magic Smoke achievement during the shootout, but didn't want to go through the hassle of restarting a bunch of times just for a miracle Focus run and possibly failing the mission.

I was lucky enough to be hiding on the far end of the prison kitchen so that when the armored enemy showed up, the pathing took him right a gas valve that I hacked and the explosion killed him immediately.  My first encounter with an Enforcer barely lasted fifteen seconds.  Sometimes it pays to read the help captions while your game loads.

The getaway reminded me of everything I really hate about this game.   All driving feels like you are trying to navigate an icy road.  I hop into the getaway car the game obviously wants me to use, hit the ramp the game obviously wants me to hit, land on the El tracks, participate in a two minute car chase along the path of the train tracks, and then proceed to dump my car into the river while making a right turn since keeping the camera in line while driving will cause you to oversteer nearly every time and if your car's handling rating is low, you will almost certainly loose control of the vehicle. 

I suddenly found myself faced with the prospect of having to swim to freedom.  Fuck...

Thank God the devs were not smart enough to restrict your phone use while you are in the water or allow enemies other than helicopters to pursue you on the river, so I was able to use my Disable Helicopter hack to buy myself enough time to dog paddle out of the manhunt zone.

As for more shit I hate about this game, I completed two more Car Theft Fixer Contracts which left me low on System Keys as I nearly used up all of my beloved Communication Jammers on the ctOS scans during the getaways, so I had to wander around in Free Mode for about an hour of real time and hack people's phones for more System Keys since you can't purchase them at a vendor.  

I don't mind doing side shit, but "gameplay" is not walking around like an idiot waiting for an algorithm to bless me with the shit I need.  Looks like the next skill I will buy will be the Profiler Optimizer.  I'm also three songs short of getting this stupid achievement for unlocking all of the SongSneak tracks.   Since when do achievements have to be so fucking hard to get?

I'm two FCs short of the free Spec Ops Uzi  and I found all of the Weapon Shipment crates in Free Mode that I needed for the Spec Ops Goblin (apparently I need to play on further to unlock the last mission of the Weapon Smuggling investigation side mission), not that I will use it that much since I hate the burst fire assault rifles and if you find yourself leaning on the trigger of your AR, the shit has already hit the fan so may as well break out the loud full auto joint and just keep Communication Jammers handy if some "helpful" citizen calls to report shots fired..

I'm tired of assholes asking me if I want to take a Digital Trip.  There are no achievements associated with beating Madness or Psychedelic and the outfits look like crap, so I am perfectly fine with not doing them.  I know I have to beat NVZN to unlock the Assault Rifle Mastery skill for use but getting a Gold Star in Cash Run only gets me one star rated pistol and my arsenal is pretty good right now, and there is no achievement for 100% completion of the Progress Wheel. 

I still avoid the Drinking Game like the plague, but there is an achievement on the line so I need to make time to hit a bar and drink these assholes under the table before I completely lose interest in this game.

Completing the Tucci convoy hit unlocked the Palace and Signature Shot content, so I need to find some sidebar during Act II or Act III to get that shit done.  I'm going to do the Signature Shot thing first since that Biometric Assault Rifle looks pretty sweet and I am all about having superior firepower.  I know the BAR is burst fire, but it is a five star weapon so hopefully the damage output pro should outweigh the rate of fire con.

Also it has occurred to me that it may be possible to get the Magic Smoke and Black Hat Trick achievements at the same time if I manage to kill four enemies simultaneously with an IED after I activate Focus.  I will experiment with this when I do my next Criminal Convoy or Gang Hideout hit.  I realize I could treat it like data, but I know I can get the achievements without having to compromise my gaming principles and kill police officers.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I don't mind doing side shit, but "gameplay" is not walking around like an idiot waiting for an algorithm to bless me with the shit I need.  Looks like the next skill I will buy will be the Profiler Optimizer.  I'm also three songs short of getting this stupid achievement for unlocking all of the SongSneak tracks.   Since when do achievements have to be so fucking hard to get?

It's standard for UbiSoft open world games.  The actual story missions tend to be thin, so they pad the game with a lot of boring side activities and achievements.  I gave up on 100%'ing games a long time ago, I don't have much time for gaming nowadays and it is spent better than trying to take 100 pictures of building or whatever.

I got the Arcade Archives release of Lifeforce.  It has the original Japanese game Salamander, as well as the Japanese and North American versions of the game.  There are also a couple of score/time attack modes.  It is good that Hamster is putting more features in these games, but they are still a little overpriced.  I think $5 would be a better price than $8.  Anyway, Salamander is way easier because you can get your ship ridiculously powered up quickly, but it is less fun to me than Lifeforce because it is missing the whole "going into the body" gimmick and goofy voice samples like "kidney stones cannot be destroyed!"

• Like 1

I now need a modern version of Fantastic Voyage turned into a game and there needs to be a part where I have to set demolition charges on a kidney stone in order to access another part of the scientist my submarine crew is trying to save.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I now need a modern version of Fantastic Voyage turned into a game and there needs to be a part where I have to set demolition charges on a kidney stone in order to access another part of the scientist my submarine crew is trying to save.

...how does this game not exist?  It'd be amazing.

7 hours ago, Neil Koch said:

Anyway, Salamander is way easier because you can get your ship ridiculously powered up quickly, but it is less fun to me than Lifeforce because it is missing the whole "going into the body" gimmick and goofy voice samples like "kidney stones cannot be destroyed!"

Oh man, I've played Lifeforce as part of the Salamander Portable comp and I think I was using the time to get some album listening in because I had no idea about those samples. I've just youtubed some and they're fantastic, as is re-skinning an asteroid belt level as 'kidney level with "centre membrane" boss and hundreds of kidney stones'. I've got to go back now and play it properly through fantastic voyage eyes as a journey through the body to discover the human body's titular lifeforce (spoiler: it's the space base from the end of Salamader.)

18 hours ago, Robert C said:

The first time heard of a game called Lifeforce, I was hoping for a game based on the glorious 80s movie.  The reality is disappointing, especially the lack of Mathilda May.

Many a boy became a man thanks to Space Girl.

Decided to push forward through several Act II missions to get to the one where Aiden gets access to The Bunker. Every grim urban vigilante needs his Batcave, I suppose.  Got the Black Hat Trick achievement during the mission where you have to rescue Jackson from the Fixers after Damien Brenks kidnaps Aiden's sister.  Threw an IED near the Fixer vehicles, use the L-Train Hack to send Jacks to the next station, BOOM~!, three dead Fixers and achievement unlocked.. 

I am going to enjoy putting a bullet into Damien Brenks's head after I find this mysterious third hacker.

Neil was right.  Ditching pursuit and taking down targets has become a lot easier now that I control steam pipes and road spike hazards in addition to blockers, bridges, and traffic lights.

Had no patience for a mercy infiltration of the Racine Boat Restoration Yard to track down Brenks's accomplice (Robert Racine) and find out where Brenks had taken Aiden's sister.  Used environmental hacks to take out as many enemies as possible (it took forever for the Enforcer to wander close enough to a junction box I could overload) and then I used Focus and my flash suppressed weapons to eliminate the remaining minions.   These dudes were mercs working for the bad guys so I had no problem handing out dirt naps.

Looked around a bit after snuffing all Racine's henchmen and found another phone to hack for an audio file. Excellent!

Found Racine's office and hacked his laptop to discover that my quarry was about to make a dash for it.  He bailed in a nice, shiny, sports truck leaving me to chase him down behind the wheel of a nearby hooptie. Shit.

Finally caught up to Robert Racine's getaway truck after a comical car chase around the Wards, forced the poor bastard across a road spike hazard and popped his tires, and peeled his cap back when the tried to flee on foot.  I held my breath when I opened fire and prayed that this wasn't one of those missions where killing the target resulted in an autofail.

Got to the usual sandbox game "moving locations" mission where Fixers attack Aiden at his base of operations at the Owl Motel and force him to abandon his current hideout.  

Was pissed off that the game devs do not want you to get the Magic Smoke achievement with grenades.  I made the best frag throw I will ever make in this game, activated Focus, and the fucking timer on the boomer I used did not go off until after the Focus effect wore off.

Naturally the resulting explosion splashes four Fixers; the exact number of enemies you have to kill while under the influence of Focus to get the Magic Smoke achievement. Fuck my life....

Tried again with another frag after using a Focus Boost to make sure it was gameplay and sure enough, my grenade did not detonate until after the bullet time clock had expired.  Damn.  I will have to try getting the MS achievement by using IEDs or plain ol' guns and I have to make sure I hit the coffee shops regularly so that I always have extra Focus.

The main stip of the Owl Motel mission is to protect Clara while making a break for it, but Clara did not fucking need protecting.  She is not a damsel in distress.  My girl broke out her nine and returned fire; my kind of accomplice.  I think Clara dropped almost as many Fixers as I did during the shoot-out and she was not afraid to empty an entire magazine trying to kill one dude. 

I appreciated Ubisoft for giving Clara a smart combat AI that kept her from popping out of cover at the worst possible time and eating enemy gunfire like some ME2 characters I know. (*cough* Jacob *cough*)

The mission where you have to track down Tobias Frewer was interesting.  Tobias going from brilliant Blume Security computer programmer to crazy homeless guy does not give me confidence in my real life chosen career path.  I am so happy that taking out target vehicles is almost dirt simple thanks to overpowering myself through side missions.

Was pissed that I did not get to finish the Poker game nor am I terribly proud about having to chase down an old, mentally disturbed, transient and subdue him with a carbon steel fighting baton.

I was happy to see that the mission to get the Bunker set up again was only more parkour and camera hacking.  Annoyed that Ubisoft is pulling a Volition / Saint's Row 2 on my ass and having my new base of operations be a fucking fixer-upper.  No access to my wardrobe or a place to rest, so I still have to use the secret cargo containers around town to change clothes and sleep off heat.

Apparently infiltrating the remaining ctOS stations at Brandon Docks and The Wards are also story missions in this act, but I get to skip that shit since I've already compromised those towers.  Yay, OCD!  Now begins my one man turf war against the Black Viceroys...

Now taking time out to unlock the remaining CtOS breaches and pad my XP before moving on in the campaign.  I've found all of the Investigation collectibles (Burner Phones, QR Codes, Missing Persons, Weapon Smuggling caches) that the game will allow me to access right now so I will just have to wait until more areas of interest unlock as I complete campaign missions.

I've got 20 of 40 Fixer Contracts done (The Boxburg LE performance car I unlocked for my Car-On-Demand app is very Batmobile-ish).  I'm slacking on Criminal Convoys and Gang Hideouts and need to step it up to unlock the anti-materiel rifle and the flash suppressed Micro-Uzi.  My new favorite thing in Gang Hideouts is to club guys with my baton while they are blinded after I hack a nearby water pipe.

The Drinking Game and the Shell Game can kiss my ass.  Having several rounds per level in the Shell Game is fucking annoying and so far my ADD won't let me sit there and play percentages until I blunder into success.  The old wino at the bar in the Wards takes too fucking long to recover after I drink him under the table.  I've beat that guy in dueling tequila shots enough times to unlock the free shotgun, so that may be it for me unless the siren's call of locked achievements becomes too strong for my OCD to resist, especially since I don't see myself playing this story more than once and I have no intentions of slugging through the Bad Blood DLC..

I decided to XP grind after I waltzed to Level 5 in NVZN and unlocked Assault Rifle Mastery.  I have no idea why getting to Level 5 in NVZN was nearly trivial, yet earning a gold medal in Cash Run is infuriatingly difficult. I am usually pretty good with the Mario platforming bullshit.

Aiden has close to $200K in cash. Making money is simple and there are no real currency sinks. 

Every time I think I need to invest in new weapons, I hack my way to victory and find that the guns I unlock through side missions can get the job done.  Gambling is not expensive, but I don't feel the need to mess with those mini games. 

The Cars-On-Demand app is not a money pit since I try to make do with the vehicles I can steal on the street and when I do use the app, the free-for-use vehicles I have unlocked through side missions are better than the upgraded vehicles I have to pay to access. 

I think that Tobias's illegal electronics shack will nick a lot of my money since buying jammers and scanners from him will save me some free roam time praying to run into NPCs with System Keys.  Right now, I spend my money on crafting components and Focus buffs.