DVDVR Message Board

Raw 12-28-15

MGFanJay

I found the whole Vince thing from the start of the show hilarious. When he got arrested I was just thinking "well are they bringing him to the precinct or the house of detention".

They did take him to the Brooklyn House Of D. Then he Houdini'd out the cuffs, kicked the screw in the knee, took the bailiff's wallet, and went straight to OTB...

• Like 2

and then Vince announced a match with Sheamus and I went "Oh..."

All I heard him announce in that moment was "A 70-year-old man is going to cut the sleeves off a ref shirt next week so that we can see his guns."

Ed Hochuli is refereeing the main event?

Seriously though, wrestlers have to stop watching the ref's hand during the false finishes. Cena was especially terrible tonight. It always takes me out of the match.

• Like 1

I found the whole Vince thing from the start of the show hilarious. When he got arrested I was just thinking "well are they bringing him to the precinct or the house of detention".

They did take him to the Brooklyn House Of D. Then he Houdini'd out the cuffs, kicked the screw in the knee, took the bailiff's wallet, and went straight to OTB...

In the past months here in NYC, the NYPD has had a few prisoners break free while in cuffs and escape when being transported to be booked. Crazy Vince on the lamb would have been amazing.

He disappears until years later when he turns up at some dive bar in some small island like Edward Quartermaine on General Hospital in the early 90's when everyone thought he was dead. Man, Vince is 70. He should be retired and living down in Boca on the beach at the tiki bars every day telling crazy story's to the locals.

• Like 2

The Sasha-Becky match really wasn't very good, so it's hard to blame the crowd. There were a couple of times they started to get into it, but then something really sloppy or awkward would happen and they'd go back to boredom. The best example: they set up the top rope double knee, the crowd started oohing and ahhing, and then Becky took the bump too early and just sort of slid off the turnbuckle. You could hear the disappointment from the crowd. They wanted to like the match, but it was slow and sloppy. I'm not sure if Sasha just doesn't work well in front of a larger crowd, she needs the confidence of knowing the NXT crowd is going to be predisposed to like a women's match, or she's frustrated that she was brought up to do nothing much so far, but she really hasn't been very good the few times she's been given a mini-spotlight on RAW.

• Like 1

and then Vince announced a match with Sheamus and I went "Oh..."

All I heard him announce in that moment was "A 70-year-old man is going to cut the sleeves off a ref shirt next week so that we can see his guns."

Ed Hochuli is refereeing the main event?

Seriously though, wrestlers have to stop watching the ref's hand during the false finishes. Cena was especially terrible tonight. It always takes me out of the match.

See, that actually works from a kayfabe POV. Cena (or whoever's getting pinned) wants to conserve as much energy as possible without losing the match, so they watch the ref's arm and try to time their kickout accordingly. Conversely, if he's the one trying to pin his opponent then he's watching the ref and just WILLING him to make the full three-count.

• Like 1

So what's the deal with Barrett? He's been pretty much a non factor the past few weeks.

Well, he's pretty much been a non factor the past few years. What's another few weeks?

Best thing he ever did was BNB and it gets squashed because he got himself over. 

• Like 1

That crowd really wasn't having it and I don't blame them. The most over act they have is in their 300th variation of a match with the Lucha Dragons.

They can't even get "Cena returns to Raw!" right anymore. It's depressing. If they are at a point where it is OK to marginalize Cena's return in hopes of getting Roman over, why not just turn Cena already and make some real money out of it?

They did a great job getting the Brooklyn police captain over in that first segment. Makes his debut and doesn't take any shit from Steph or Vince and goes over strong to end the segment. That's how you book a star.

Being in law enforcement, I had a good chuckle at the segment, especially when Steph was yelling "Brooklyn Police Department", which doesn't exist, then they cuffed Vince in the front (which you never do), and then one of the "officers" got in the back with him. We all know the uniforms weren't real officers, but make it somewhat realistic. The plainclothes did a good job, though.

• Like 2

Yeah, "Brooklyn Police Department" really threw me.  It's like they had to say we're in "BROOKLYN" over and over and over, like it's a contractual obligation.  

Made it very nice when Xavier said "New York".   

And it made me wonder why they don't run MSG for anything other than house shows any more. Cause not for nothing, but Barclays is just the worst compared to MSG. 

Also, the "Unity!" stuff is awesome.  BAD are supposed to be heels and kinda annoying, you know.

Yeah, that being an annoying thing that people hate on is totally fine with me - Sasha actually getting heel heat instead of crowd chants would be ideal.

Yeah, "Brooklyn Police Department" really threw me.  It's like they had to say we're in "BROOKLYN" over and over and over, like it's a contractual obligation.  

And it made me wonder why they don't run MSG for anything other than house shows any more. Cause not for nothing, but Barclays is just the worst compared to MSG. 

MSG is super expensive to broadcast from. Not worth it expensive when they could run a newer, similar sized place for much cheaper in the same city.

It's interesting that people have seemingly soured a bit on Sasha's main roster work, which all in all I don't think has been that bad. In the grand scheme of things, Sasha is still a pretty inexperienced worker. Does anyone think her struggling on the main roster could be due in part to not being able to rehearse matches and spots at Full Sail like they reportedly did with all the hyped women's matches on NXT Takeovers?

A completely tone deaf opening segment absolutely killed my interest in the show. I spend all afternoon being ashamed of the city that I love and then I see that garbage on the TV. I know the McMahon's are supposed to be out of touch as characters, but it's unfortunate that they seem out of touch as human beings as well. We've seen shows edited in the face of terrorist attacks before. I can't believe that we didn't get a simple rewrite in the face of the events from yesterday. I'm trying to keep this as politics free as possible, but I was really taken aback by everything from that opening segment. Part of me wants to give them the benefit of the doubt and think they were trying to comment on it in that the clearly racist white man with the power is the one who gets arrested, but the execution was so subpar that I just couldn't stand a second of it. 

I don't buy the rehearsal excuse for the women only because main roster talent have plenty of chances to rehearse - it's called "house shows." Really it's not just the big moves that they blow. For example yesterday the finish sequence went fine Sasha just started it too early so we had that awkward couple minutes where she had Becky in that semi surfboard because she knew she messed up.

I love NXT and loved Sasha's work there but that match yesterday was bad. Three segments was too long if you're gonna do a bunch of rest holds that crowds in 2015 have zero patience for. Add in the 3-4 spots they clearly botched and I don't really blame the crowd for dying.

Pete, I know what you are saying but how much more energy are you going to save if you kick out at 2.25 compared to 2.99?

OK... but consider the psychological aspect. Wrestler A has Wrestler B beaten! He's just hit his big move! One, two, thr- KICKOUT. You're going to be shook.

MSG is super expensive to broadcast from. Not worth it expensive when they could run a newer, similar sized place for much cheaper in the same city.

Aren't unions a huge deal with MSG and running there?

Back in the day it used to be with the old curfew rule with shows cutting off at 11pm on the dot because of union rules Now, I have no idea how they deal with that. I guess they just pay the overtime fees for all the individual unions at the shows.

I am really surprised/relieved they didn't go with Vince stripping Roman of the title last night. With Big Show as number one in the Rumble it would have been a perfect set up to say the title is up for grabs at the Rumble now and since Show is number one, guess who's number two pal.

HAPPY NEW YEARS. HAPPY NEW YEARS.

But I'm sure them ripping off the Austin/Mankind match with Vince as the ref will work just the same. I'm sure Stephanie will be guest time keeper.

• Like 1

I have to agree that Becky/Sasha wasn't that good, but I did like the finishing sequence. Almost thought Becky would go over for a second. Kinda sad to see the crowd crap on both women but there were periods of the match that lagged and were just plain boring.

The whole thing is that to have their women's division elevated - they need to have a long match that is average at best that dies in front of a shitty crowd AND THEN LET THEM TRY AGAIN.

The men are afforded this luxury.

• Like 4

Sasha hasn't had as good a match as the Takeover stuff on RAW, but she has has at least one match that was roughly as good as, say, Sasha/Charlotte from NXT television in the summer; it was on the TLC pre-show against Becky Lynch, and the crowd sat on their hands for that, too. It isn't all her. It is partly that the crowd doesn't actually care about her.