DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING - Try 2

RIPPA

Very good piece on Samoa Joe's comeback:

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/how-samoa-joe-rekindled-fire-2015-203946

Most plesant surprise of the wrestling year.

I read this and his points make no sense. 

His first point is Joe started the year in the UK in a nothing match with Austin Aries, and finished the year in the UK in a nothing match against another internet favorite guy. He then points out that Joe got to keep his name, something "not even" Bryan Danielson got to do, completely ignoring that CM Punk got to keep his name a decade ago now. He goes on to point out the rarity of Joe's initial contract with WWE, acting as if it was a one of a kind deal when Rhyno got the same deal at the same time, as well as Ciampa and Gargano getting extended try outs with the same deal, even having WWE promote their upcoming EVOLVE shows on Twitter.

There, with blood trickling from his mouth, Joe’s eyes conveyed a range of emotions: rage, pain, and disappointment among them. There was something else there as well. 

This is called working your character. It isn't evidence that Joe is "back". His reasons are all wonky, and the whole thing can be condensed down to "He left TNA and enjoyed wrestling again" instead of all these weird things that have nothing to do with his "fire". 

The stink of 50 million finisher kick out matches still looms a bit in WWE because of Angle making it a standard of his matches.

I'm pretty sure it's because that's been Cena's preferred style for the last 6 years or so, not due to a guy who hasn't been with the company in nearly a decade.

Didn't Hassan piss off the entire locker room?

There was an infamous moment where he bitched out Eddie Guerrero for using a camel clutch, not realizing that Eddie's father created the hold.

I heard that story and it's kind of dumb. Who cares who created the move? The point is that Eddie was using Hassan's finish. Yes, everybody loves Eddie and the rookie should have handled things better with a veteran, but he did have a point.

Unfortunately for Hassan, that doesn't seem to be how the business works.

• Like 1

Didn't Hassan piss off the entire locker room?

There was an infamous moment where he bitched out Eddie Guerrero for using a camel clutch, not realizing that Eddie's father created the hold.
I heard that story and it's kind of dumb. Who cares who created the move? The point is that Eddie was using Hassan's finish. Yes, everybody loves Eddie and the rookie should have handled things better with a veteran, but he did have a point.
Unfortunately for Hassan, that doesn't seem to be how the business works.

According to Shawn Daivari, Hassan was encouraged by Kurt Angle to go to Guerrero about protecting his finish. He felt that Angle meant well, but didn't understand the politics of the situation due to having shot straight to the top in the business.

• Like 2

Is this the Buddy Wayne that was on F4w with Bryan Alvarez?

No. I would guess he would be referred to as either Portland/Seatlle/PNW Buddy Wayne or F4W Buddy Wayne.

When Scott Bowden was on our pod, he talked about the angle where Ken and Buddy beat up Eddie Gilbert in front of Tommy.

Oh so that's not an actual thing? I thought networks had to allow equal time for candidates? Or is it kinda like the Rooney Rule - Everyone follows it but not really...

It exists. That is why they couldn't go through with their plan of getting Bob Backlund on the 1996 presidential election ballot. They also had a similar issue when Jerry Lawler ran for mayor of Memphis (IIRC he finished 3rd in a 10 person field).

Guys not being able to get over cause they can't talk is some Russo bullshit.  You know the easiest way to get a guy over?  Just have him win a lot.

A guy like Swagger is just Lesnar without the sociopathy.  There's no reason he (or anybody, really) needs to be doing 20-minute promos other than that's what WWE's done for over 15 years so the sketch comedy hacks they employ think that's the only way to do pro wrestling.

• Like 1

Swagger is just like Lesnar in the sense that he's big and wrestled in college. Other than that, he's nothing like Brock. He doesn't have the skill and more importantly the presence of Brock. You can't teach presence. You can have Swagger win every match for the next 15 years and he's never going to be like Brock.

• Like 1

His catchphrase is still over.

For whatever reason.

Fans are desperate to get to do something that allows them to join in on the show. The easiest way to get yourself over is have a chant or taunt that fans can do with you. See: Fandango, Adam Rose, YES, TEN, Emma's dance, FEED ME MORE, etc etc.