DVDVR Message Board

Seth Rollins out 6-9 months with torn ACL

tlk23

All this talk made me start watching the Deadly Game tourney.

Highlight thus far - JR starts calling Regal "Blackman", and Lawler's like, "Whatever you're on you need to cut the dose!"

JR tries to play it off by saying it was because Regal's from Blackpool, but you could tell he was pissy about it.

Also, Chioda looks like a baby in there.

• Like 1

The "action hero" thing is what's behind us, and that's what D-Bry and Punk both proved.  Like Orton years ago, Reigns' problem is that he looks exactly like what outsiders who look down on wrestling assume wrestling champ guy looks like, and he's too generic and scripted to really bring the fanatics in.  He also doesn't have the presence of a Cena, so any kid appeal is going to fizzle.

On the other hand...Rick Grimes is the most watched character on TV that isn't on The Big Bang Theory.  Suicide Squad is, like, a really shitty movie that's about to come out and do decent box office.  Anti-heroes are alive and well.  Dean needs to be the face and they need to abandon the Reigns-Top-Guy project before it's too late.

We all project our bias on everything.

Reigns look/physicality isn't the reason why the IWF is against him, lets not forget when the Shield was around when Reigns and Dean were the ones thought most to succeed. The IWF hate is because of the artificial push he got to the top.

I'll contend that anti-heroes aren't the rage, it's well written characters that are the rage.

• Like 1

Reigns/Ambrose with Reigns turning heel seems to write itself.  I *think* they may feel (and maybe accurately) that instead of that turning him into Rock it would turn into Lex Luger, a flaky guy that fans will never truly get behind again.

Is somewhat interesting that Rollins going down has people clamoring that they need Cena/Brock/some other big name back to fill the gap. I mean, Rollins is an all-world talent but the booking and his overexposure on the show has contributed to the current ratings malaise. WWE has no shortage of guys that can play top heel. I think that this actually could be a good thing. They have to blow up their Mania plans and shoot up at least two guys to a headline spot. I think it'll actually build interest.

The big difference is that this is turning Reigns heel because the babyface thing didn't work. In 1998 the fans were staunchly with Rock until the rug got pulled out.

There have been some really shitty swervebros in the last 20 years. That wasn't one of them.

• Like 1

The thing is they've built Reigns up decently post-WM and he's put on quality matches since Fastlane with no missteps.  Turning him heel at this point could possibly undermine all the work put in to get him over as a face, especially when some naysayers are coming around to him.

I'm not saying don't turn him heel.  What I'm saying is whatever direction they take him in, they need to stay committed to that for the long haul.  Otherwise, they're wasting his and their time.

I think two questions need to be asked in all this:

1.  Who on the roster can realistically have a match with almost anyone and it be at least decent?

AND

2.  Based on where they are right now on the card, who has the most opponents they can face in feuds that make sense?

It's not an either-or scenario.  Both criteria must be met.

To me, they have two guys in that position:  Reigns and Owens.  That's the nucleus--build around them.

Wow this is shocking, I always thought Seth would blow his knee out on that spot where he gets back body dropped over the top rope to the floor.  Major props to Seth for getting back up and powerbombing Kane too, that was some serious intestinal fortitude.

I know it's too much to hope for a Cesaro title run right now, but I can dream still.

• Like 1

I think Cesaro can definitely fit in the picture, though.  If Reigns/Owens is the core, they'll need several guys they can tangle with.  We know Cesaro-Owens will work.  And I think you could turn Cesaro heel pretty easy and have him feud with Reigns.  Just have him say "I'm tired of being told to wait my turn and grab for the brass ring.  Screw all that.  From now on, I do things my way."  Heck, that's not even a turn, that's him becoming a righteous tweener with legitimate grievences.

• Like 1

The big difference is that this is turning Reigns heel because the babyface thing didn't work. In 1998 the fans were staunchly with Rock until the rug got pulled out.

There have been some really shitty swervebros in the last 20 years. That wasn't one of them.

For all the shitty, terrible, and "oh my fucking god what the fuck were you thinking" booking Vince Russo has unleashed on the world of wrestling... Survivor Series '98 was a masterpiece of playing the audience, setting them up, and then knocking them over.

He peaked right then and there, and by Mania half a year later, it was a rambling trainwreck. But that show was a perfect example of doing everything right to deliver a surprise no one saw coming but still felt natural and made sense. Grand slam type work.

It's just a shame Rock and Mick didn't have a great match in them that night too really fucking elevate it.

• Like 1

I think Cesaro can definitely fit in the picture, though. If Reigns/Owens is the core, they'll need several guys they can tangle with. We know Cesaro-Owens will work. And I think you could turn Cesaro heel pretty easy and have him feud with Reigns. Just have him say "I'm tired of being told to wait my turn and grab for the brass ring. Screw all that. From now on, I do things my way." Heck, that's not even a turn, that's him becoming a righteous tweener with legitimate grievences.

Or lay out Reigns and say something about how he just grabbed the damn ring.

Guys, this is so simple. Sheamus has the briefcase. Everybody hates him. Making Reigns the super-baby face is easier than ever, once Sheamus is gifted the strap. Rollins comes back from injury a year from now a vengeance - seeking face (likely out of the title picture, but still a money making machine). Let's not overthink this.

Cesaro will be in the tournament probably, but not a chance he makes it to the semi finals, much less the final for the championship. And forgive me for not slogging through 10 pages, but has anyone mentioned that maybe Roman makes it to the finals on a bye because he already had a championship match official for Survivor Series?

But this really sucks for Seth Rollins, damn. He was my favorite every week on RAW. Everyone thinks he's horrible at promos but I enjoy him on the mic. Nothing needs to be said about his talent in the ring, he's in the Top 3 for WWE right now. I'm already looking forward to his return, though. He needed to be a face months ago, so I'm pretty psyched for that.

Good thing sports medicine has improved to the point where Rollins should make a full recovery. The injury looks/sounds bad, but professional athletes have come back from similarly ugly knee injuries in the last few years. Even if he wasn't booked the best, he really seemed like he tried to make the most of everything he was given, including having consistently solid matches. The time off could be beneficial to his character, though. He could come back in any number of ways and seem like a big deal.

In the short term, I think now's just the time to pull the trigger on Roman. He's been sitting in that "next in line" spot for months, and well, everyone ahead of him is now out of the way. He really is the highest ranked full-timer at the moment, so it would look bad if someone else bypassed him out of the blue. Give Roman the strap and use him to give the rubs to guys like Owens, Ambrose, etc. Bray Wyatt would be the best heel option, but the problem with that is Roman is still the top face, and those two just got out of a 4-month program. There's still a lot of fresh heel options outside of Bray to go through Roman if he has the strap. It should be noted that the "fresh heel options" do not include Sheamus, who should be fed to Roman the following night on Raw in a competitive tv match. I suppose a surprise-cash-in-fail is on the table, but I think that comes across as too forced and there's really no reason to completely kill off Sheamus who can still contribute in the tag division.

I think everyone is overlooking the most obvious answer. A man who has been on a bit of a downturn. A man who is an inspiration to us all, and who was once very over (in NXT). A man who's brother is a cult leader, who would be a great fit with the top act in the company, The New Day, and who would very easily transition - with said cult and/or The New Day's help - into the Cowardly Champion Who Doesn't Deserve It role that Rollins has been playing.

All you have to do is Bolieve!

Dang, J.H. beat me to it. It's a seriously fun idea that would get everyone involved over and which will never ever ever ever happen.

Guys, this is so simple. Sheamus has the briefcase. Everybody hates him. Making Reigns the super-baby face is easier than ever, once Sheamus is gifted the strap. Rollins comes back from injury a year from now a vengeance - seeking face (likely out of the title picture, but still a money making machine). Let's not overthink this.

Most people nothing Sheamus, not hate him.

LOL @ the Cesaro fantasy booking contingent.

I look forward to your complaints.

I bet you like to drink male tears too

There's really no bad outcome here, any way they go is exciting!  Anyone could win it, Wyatt, Owens, Reigns, Ambrose, Sheamus, Brock, Cena, Ziggler, Cesaro, Barrett, Neville, Miz.... and it will be awesome!

Everyone here is having fun speculating and looking forward to a new champ, meanwhile you're looking forward to the complaints  :wacko:

• Like 1

The more I think about this the more I dislike a Roman Reigns win if all we get are matches that we've already seen on RAW a bunch of times. It could be a very well worked tournament but I think it would still feel like a missed opportunity. I think this is where they should actually add some story elements in there and get something cooking towards WrestleMania in Dallas.

I think if Reigns wins a by-the-numbers tournament in a couple weeks he'll be in the same position as Rollins where he's the champion but he's just floating around with no direction.

The more I think about this the more I dislike a Roman Reigns win if all we get are matches that we've already seen on RAW a bunch of times. It could be a very well worked tournament but I think it would still feel like a missed opportunity. I think this is where they should actually add some story elements in there and get something cooking towards WrestleMania in Dallas.

I think if Reigns wins a by-the-numbers tournament in a couple weeks he'll be in the same position as Rollins where he's the champion but he's just floating around with no direction.

"Anyone but Roman" is really the best storyline right now, he needs to be screwed out of the belt in the main event by any and everyone.  Keep him babyface chasing the title until Mania, and then get his big title win and redemption for last year.

What about having the New Day win the title. When WWE needs a quick change they generally will go to an unlikely candidate who hasn't been champion and is generally popular backstage and a loyal WWE member.

Your tournament can be

Reigns vs. Barrett

Neville vs. Sheamus

Kofi vs. Ambrose

Cesaro vs. Owens

Reigns vs. Neville

Kofi vs.Cesaro

Kofi vs. Reigns with Kofi winning the title after the New Day interferes. Having Reigns beaten up by three men can explain why he doesn't beat Kofi. Kofi gets a short run as champion. The New Day as one of the hottest acts gets rewarded. Reigns gets screwed again. Yeah you run the risk of the fact that in three title shots this year he got pinned in two of them but he never lost cleanly (if you consider the MITB cash-in not clean)

This still leaves New Day/Usos, Charlotte/Paige, and Wyatt Family vs. Taker and Friends to fill out Survivor Series

• Like 1